Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cambodia, Hong Kong, Singapore and SF: IN Y??? YVR-HKG-PNH-HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX-SFO-YYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia, Hong Kong, Singapore and SF: IN Y??? YVR-HKG-PNH-HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX-SFO-YYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Enjoyed your report!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ethan777
Thank you very much dat4life!

Loved your latest TR, by the way. Thanks for making me jealous, ahaha. One day, for me.

Hopefully Part 2 will be up tomorrow- just wasn't so happy with the quality of the photos on the previous part, so I am trying to work that out for the next one. Stay tuned!
Thanks! Trust me, such a trip is a very rare treat for me. Case in point, I'm headed to Hong Kong on 77W in 3-4-3 Main Cabin, as Main Cabin Extra is full and I don't have much hope for my upgrade to clear.

At any rate, please stick around FT! You'll find many tips and tricks that will help make your traveling more pleasant, even in Y!

I was going to say, IMHO the quality of pictures were excellent. But it seems like you have much higher standards than me.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thanks! Trust me, such a trip is a very rare treat for me. Case in point, I'm headed to Hong Kong on 77W in 3-4-3 Main Cabin, as Main Cabin Extra is full and I don't have much hope for my upgrade to clear.

At any rate, please stick around FT! You'll find many tips and tricks that will help make your traveling more pleasant, even in Y!

I was going to say, IMHO the quality of pictures were excellent. But it seems like you have much higher standards than me.
ewww 3-4-3 on a 77W is not pleasant at all. -AA?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:57 am

By the way Ethan - you likely had a YVR based crew....I can tell you that Asian/HKG based crew are more likely to live up to the reputation of most "asian airline service".
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrPie
ewww 3-4-3 on a 77W is not pleasant at all. -AA?
Yep. The good news is I'm using miles and copay, which even as a PLT trumps an EXP using a SWU. The bad news is J is looking rather full even a few months out.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altiude , AAdvantage, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by xenole
Nice report. Good to see you getting out of some tourist areas and seeing the real Cambodia
Thanks xenole. It was really great to see the more touristy things (eg Siem Reap) but just as fantastic, and even better really, to get to see the 'real people' of Cambodia.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great and very interesting report! Thanks!
Thanks offerendum! Enjoying your latest TR at the moment. ^
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Enjoyed your report!
Thanks MatthewLAX! I am a frequent reader of your blog. I really enjoy it. Keep up the great work!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life

I'll take your word for it,dat4life.
As much as I hate to say it, props for CX for retaining a 3-3-3 layout as it seems so many carriers are switching to the dreaded 3-4-3 layout. My favorite 777 config is probably ANA, in a very nice 2-4-3 layout.
You can bet I will be sticking around! My next trip looks like it will be in J, thankfully.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrPie
By the way Ethan - you likely had a YVR based crew....I can tell you that Asian/HKG based crew are more likely to live up to the reputation of most "asian airline service".
Thanks MrPie

I did some research, and yes it did indeed appear I had a YVR based crew. The other YVR-HKG flight (day flight) is an HKG based crew.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:48 am

Looks like a great adventure, Ethan.

Hope those tarantulas were well spiced too.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great TR, and photos.

For those who think a TR needs to be first class to the moon and back they need to give this a read ^

Thank's for sharing.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:30 pm

Hello Ethan,

My first (and so far, only) TR for FT was a first class trip to Beijing. I spend most of my life in coach, using upgrades only for trips that are about seven hours or more, which is my personal limit for sitting in a confining seat. (I'm 6'0-1", so we're about the same size.) Four hours coast to coast? I'm actually fine flying Southwest. In fact, I love their bloody Mary mix, without alcohol, which is my drink of choice on WN. It's not a problem at all.

Seven hours to Germany? Tolerable in coach, not torture by any means. Some may disagree.

But 14 hours to China? Egads, that's when the amenities of business class or first start to pay off. And honestly, I'm not talking about the obsequious service or the six-course meal prepared by an on-board chef. (And yes, even AA, my airline of choice to Asia, actually has an onboard chef who does nothing but cook for first class passengers.) It's really about the fact that you can stretch out, claim some personal space, and feel like you have some control over your environment.

If you like, take a look at my TR. It's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ts-photos.html I posted too many pictures of tasty on-board food, but in Chapter 3, you can see some good photos of what it's like to walk around in China. I hope the spirit of my TR captures what it really special and unique about a long-haul trip in premium class. Not the catering per se, not the attentive service, not the brand of champagne. But the fact that airlines are paying attention to making air travel a genuinely special and pleasant experience. That harkens back to a time when air travel itself was something unique and special, when people would dress up to go flying. It's wonderful to see that some airlines are still paying homage to the idea that an intercontinental trip is something to savor.

But the great experience of travel is really what keeps me coming back to FT, and your Trip Report is perfect for that. Much better than a photo of a premium appetizer at 31,000 feet. I guess this is a long way of saying that the journey is more than the seat you sit in, and your TR shows that really well.

Anyway -- Good job. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Cheers.

Last edited by prolixindec; Aug 21, 2014 at 8:49 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Great TR, and photos.

For those who think a TR needs to be first class to the moon and back they need to give this a read ^

Thank's for sharing.
Thanks madone59.

Indeed. I do not wish to toot my own horn or anything, but I completely agree. For me, travel is not always about a premium or luxurious experience, but for seeing the country as it really is.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prolixindec
Hello Ethan,

My first (and so far, only) TR for FT was a first class trip to Beijing. I spend most of my life in coach, using upgrades only for trips that are about seven hours or more, which is my personal limit for sitting in a confining seat. (I'm 6'0-1", so we're about the same size.) Four hours coast to coast? I'm actually fine flying Southwest. In fact, I love their bloody Mary mix, without alcohol, which is my drink of choice on WN. It's not a problem at all.

Seven hours to Germany? Tolerable in coach, not torture by any means. Some may disagree.

But 14 hours to China? Egads, that's when the amenities of business class or first start to pay off. And honestly, I'm not talking about the obsequious service or the six-course meal prepared by an on-board chef. (And yes, even AA, my airline of choice to Asia, actually has an onboard chef who does nothing but cook for first class passengers.) It's really about the fact that you can stretch out, claim some personal space, and feel like you have some control over your environment.

If you like, take a look at my TR. It's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ts-photos.html I posted too many pictures of tasty on-board food, but in Chapter 3, you can see some good photos of what it's like to walk around in China. I hope the spirit of my TR captures what it really special and unique about a long-haul trip in premium class. Not the catering per se, not the attentive service, not the brand of champagne. But the fact that airlines are paying attention to making air travel a genuinely special and pleasant experience. That harkens back to a time when air travel itself was something unique and special, when people would dress up to go flying. It's wonderful to see that some airlines are still paying homage to the idea that an intercontinental trip is something to savor.

But the great experience of travel is really what keeps me coming back to FT, and your Trip Report is perfect for that. Much better than a photo of a premium appetizer at 31,000 feet. I guess this is a long way of saying that the journey is more than the seat you sit in, and your TR shows that really well.

Anyway -- Good job. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Cheers.
Thanks for your kind words prolixindec.
Indeed, it was a slightly painful experience. However, my return long haul segments on SQ were very comfortable.

I read your trip report right around the time you published it and I enjoyed it a lot. The photography was amazing, and you are a great writer! ^ Sincerely enjoyed it. I am not at the age (at the moment) where I can take advantage of credit card sign up bonuses, promotions, etc. As a result I collect mileage exclusively through flying. Thankfully, my trip next to Europe next year will be in TK or OS J (still haven't decided yet) thanks to many miles I accumulated through previous travels to Asia, the US and an excruciatingly long flight to Australia in AC Y.

I certainly appreciate your kinds words, stay tuned as shortly I will be uploading my SIN-NRT-LAX-SFO-YYC segments, I am currently trying to sort out photo quality issues at the moment.

Thanks again!
Ethan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.