Reload this Page >

Weekend on the ocean in Orange County

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:20 am

Nice photos as usual! Brings back memories as I used to regularly travel to south Orange County for work and often head over to Laguna Beach for dinner. Can't say that I ever did any beach time there - just too cold in the water even in summer. Great town for walking around and some nice places to dine.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Again another great TR from SFO777, always know when you start something it is going to be great, hope now Mrs SFO777s back is alright and giving her no trouble, bet she enjoyed the ocean visits and just relaxing.^
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Monday morning and most of the weekend crowd had checked out. We had a great breakfast at The Loft.

Mrs. SFO had a healthy breakfast.

Me? Not so much.

The Rotiserrie Chicken Chilaquiles was amazing!

We checked out and headed south down PCH to explore Dana Point and San Clemente, before heading back north to Newport Beach and lunch at Rick Bayless' amazing Mexican restaurant Red O, adjacent to Fashion Island.

After lunch, we headed up McArthur Blvd. for the short drive to SNA, a very convenient airport if your are departing on AA or UA and your gates are in the single digits. Unfortunately, Frontier operates from Gate 21, the last gate in the airport, seemingly located in LA County. The Admirals Club is near Gate 8.

Meh, one of the weaker clubs in the system. But better than nothing.

Looking back to Gates 1-7...

And the long walk to Gate 21.

OMG, how much longer?

Orange County-Denver
Frontier 264
3:50P-7:05P
August 18, 2014
Economy Stretch Seating
Seats 3CD

Unfortunately a completely full flight as we both got middle seat mates. Mrs. SFO lucked our with a reasonably sized person while I got Billy Bob in a Razorback cap. Yo, F9, how about selling a blocked middle seat like Vueling?

An on time arrival back in Denver and we were home by 8PM.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 25, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agp423
SFO777, it seems like you're on vacation every month. I want to be like you when I grow up.
Ha. Actually, despite appearances, I work most of the time... just take my office with me.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Perhaps the off spring of the DIA devil horse.... Or a Match .com date for him?
LOL. Hadn't thought of that one.

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Nice photos as usual! Brings back memories as I used to regularly travel to south Orange County for work and often head over to Laguna Beach for dinner. Can't say that I ever did any beach time there - just too cold in the water even in summer. Great town for walking around and some nice places to dine.
Thanks El Cochinito. Indeed, a beautiful part of the country.

Originally Posted by BA5E
Again another great TR from SFO777, always know when you start something it is going to be great, hope now Mrs SFO777s back is alright and giving her no trouble, bet she enjoyed the ocean visits and just relaxing.^
Thank you BA5E. Mrs. SFO's back is much better. Thanks for asking.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:53 am

Bloody Mary for breakfast, Margarita for lunch... On a Monday...

You are living the life!

Watch your salt intake - we want you around to keep creating trip reports!

Amazing food photos, again.

United is upping their game (we'll see) with onboard food - with your skills I am sure your pictures will make it look like a gourmet dinner. Just need to get you back on UA to take those pictures.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
...while I got Billy Bob in a Razorback cap.
ROFLMAO. Classy F9 clientele, eh?

Great TR as always!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Bloody Mary for breakfast, Margarita for lunch... On a Monday...
You are living the life!
Watch your salt intake - we want you around to keep creating trip reports!
Amazing food photos, again.
United is upping their game (we'll see) with onboard food - with your skills I am sure your pictures will make it look like a gourmet dinner. Just need to get you back on UA to take those pictures.
Thanks Lark. Yeah, I saw the announcement. Good for United. Jeff (finally) made a smart move and is going right at American on this one. I do have some United flights in September and October, so I'll take lots of pics.

Originally Posted by sriegert
ROFLMAO. Classy F9 clientele, eh?
Great TR as always!
Indeed. Thank you sriegert.

Which reminds me that I forgot to post this exchange with Mrs. SFO as we were waiting to board and the GA called priority boarding for Summit members.

Mrs. SFO: What is Summit?
Me: It's Frontier's elite status
Mrs. SFO (shaking head and laughing): Seriously? Elite status on an all coach airline?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
You just made me homesick! Living in Houston for the last 3 years has its perks though. Oh wait, nevermind, no perks! Great report! I got married at the Montage 1 year ago this weekend!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:07 pm

I think you might have to go to his blog for that!

Originally Posted by popoemt
Nice, I will be heading to the SFO777 page, hoping to see some better pics of that pool area... ahem....
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprngli Connaisseur
Again, a pretty cool TR. Laguna Beach looks pretty nice. Generally, I think of Spain or Italy for coastal trips as they're closer. Not that we actually escape out there from Switzerland very often. Still we're on the West Coast visiting my parents occasionally, so we might be tempted to head south at some point.

The new Westin at DIA looks interesting.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:21 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SFO777

Which reminds me that I forgot to post this exchange with Mrs. SFO as we were waiting to board and the GA called priority boarding for Summit members.

Mrs. SFO: What is Summit?
Me: It's Frontier's elite status
Mrs. SFO (shaking head and laughing): Seriously? Elite status on an all coach airline?
This goes to show that even the low cost carriers have learned to sell absolutely everything. I suppose anything to keep people flying with them.

Looked like a nice weekend. ^
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avi8tir
You just made me homesick! Living in Houston for the last 3 years has its perks though. Oh wait, nevermind, no perks! Great report! I got married at the Montage 1 year ago this weekend!
What a great place to get married! And the weather is so similar to Houston. Thanks avi8tir.

Originally Posted by greg5
Again, a pretty cool TR. Laguna Beach looks pretty nice. Generally, I think of Spain or Italy for coastal trips as they're closer. Not that we actually escape out there from Switzerland very often. Still we're on the West Coast visiting my parents occasionally, so we might be tempted to head south at some point.
The new Westin at DIA looks interesting.
Thank you greg5. It was fun to visit but a lot less hectic when you get off the weekend.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
This goes to show that even the low cost carriers have learned to sell absolutely everything. I suppose anything to keep people flying with them. Looked like a nice weekend. ^
Thanks worldtraveller73.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

Always appreciate photos from my former home! SNA Admiral's Club has not changed much over the years, but great AANgels make this one of my favorite clubs in the system.

Billy's at the Beach is a total tourist trap, but convenient if you arrive by boat. Next time, head north to The Alley on the corner of PCH and Balboa Blvd. Great neighborhood spot with excellent bartenders (Mike is one of the best in OC) and surprisingly good food. Only downside is no water view.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:18 pm

I don't really post much but i do enjoy reading your TR. Just stopping by to say thanks and looking forward to future ones!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for the report, SFO777. The Orange County coast is very picturesque, and the hotel you stayed at looks great!

I thought you weren't going back to Y after your HNL trip though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.