Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by injian
A very good TR. Thank you
Glad that you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by onobond
A very nice TR, with a travel experience few of us have, or even will have.
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
nice to have a TR on one of the less known airlines
There was some difficulty in finding out information about Uzbekistan Airways precisely because it is such a small airline. I hope that my TR will be a frame of reference for passengers considering flying this carrier in the future.

Originally Posted by Polomarc
Lovely TR was waiting to bear about this. Must been an incredible wedding and also great for them that people from far came
The wedding itself was great. There were beautiful dancers, including a lady who looked and danced like a snake.

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Appropriate plov is made by layering meat on top of carrots/veggies on top of rice.
I had several types of plov in Uzbekistan. There was one that had a mix of both lamb and horse. And there was another which contained egg.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I hope you at least had some plov while you were on the ground in Uzbekistan. Too bad you didn't make it out of Tashkent, Samarkand is pretty close and well worth the trip. I will have to go back for Bukhara, Khiva and the Aral Sea.

Edit: I see you did, did you make it to central plov by any chance? They do a good rendition.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Nice TR! Loved the HY review. Hmmm....didn't know it uses the ST Lounge. A potential ST partner, maybe!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I have a friend who studies in Samarkand. She took me to a local canteen where I had the most amazing plov for 4.000 CYM. They had great Samsa as well made straight out of a Tandoor oven for 1,500 CYM. Nothing compares to having locals taking you around!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting trip report. Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:42 am

Great trip report I'd love to fly Uzbekistan Air! and visit Tashkent.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Uzbekistan Airways business class | LHR-TAS-LHR

I enjoyed this TR and will check the link for possibly more pix. Thank you!
But bummer the 767 didn't have lie-flat seat option!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 am

Thanks for the report. HY reports where really missing here. Good to see what they have on offer as they have competitive prices from EU to PEK.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Great report. Thanks.

Having a dedicated business class building sounds quite impressive, especially as I read this report over a Costa coffee at LHR Terminal 5. Oh, Asian luxury!

The plov looked very tasty. I tried it in Russia and really liked it.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I am pleased to see that my report is still generating interest. I would certainly have no hesitation about using HY again, including on a connection if the price was right.

Originally Posted by Marambio
Having a dedicated business class building sounds quite impressive, especially as I read this report over a Costa coffee at LHR Terminal 5. Oh, Asian luxury!
I would not count on too much. Costa Coffee at LHR T5 is probably a better place to while away the hours than CIP areas at TAS!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:27 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm glad that you linked to your trip report in your signature. We are headed to Tashkent, then thru Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, very soon. I have several questions.

1) Were you ever on your own? If so, do you speak any of their languages? If not, and you were using English, how was it? I understand that not many do.

2) Do you have any restaurants that you recommend?

3) Did you have to declare all your currency on entering and leaving the country? If so, did you have to provide documentation of where you exchanged it? If not, did you use any non official exchange? How difficult was it to do that?

4) Did you use only local currency while in country, or did people prefer tips in pounds/euros/whatever you offered?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:35 pm
Suspended

I'm not the OP but since i was in Uzbekistan less than a week ago...

1) Most locals don't speak English
2) National Food and Central Asian Plov Center
3) Yes you have to declare currency. You don't have to provide documentation on where you changed it (not really logical anyway as you won't bring in Som or take out Som... so it's like where did you exchange your dollars to dollars). Changing money on the black market is not difficult (money changers are plentiful at bazaars and Tashkent railway station, most guesthouses can do it as well though the rate isn't as good), but many people get ripped off by changing with people like taxi drivers. Check online for up to date information on the exchange rate before going (caravanistan forums are a good source of info).
4) No one tips in Uzbekistan for anything, except maybe guides, not sure about that as I hate traveling with guides. Hotels prefer to be paid in dollars, but accept Som, sometimes at a favorable (official) exchange rate. Restaurants have a 10-20% service charge included in the bill. Most of the time, this is less than a dollar for one person. A fairly priced taxi ride should be around $2 or $3 almost anywhere.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, mpkz. That's very helpful. Did you find taxi drivers etc wanted to be paid in dollars or soms? Normally, I would only use local currency. But I remember traveling in the eastern block before the fall. Dollars had substantially more value to locals than their own currency, and was difficult for them to get.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:08 pm
Suspended

I'm sure they'd like dollars but the way the system works is that you pay them in Som, no one, except airport taxis looking to rip you off, will quote you a price in dollars.

It's not quite like the Eastern Block, though Uzbekistan is a high inflation, capital controlled currency so they prefer to have their savings in "hard" foreign currency. Despite this, every price almost anyone (restaurants, taxis, museums, train tickets) quotes is in Som instead of USD and offering USD probably gets you less favorable prices. I think another exception might be domestic plane tickets, which foreigners have to pay for in USD.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

I'm sure they'd like dollars but the way the system works is that you pay them in Som, no one, except airport taxis looking to rip you off, will quote you a price in dollars.

It's not quite like the Eastern Block, though Uzbekistan is a high inflation, capital controlled currency so they prefer to have their savings in "hard" foreign currency. Despite this, every price almost anyone (restaurants, taxis, museums, train tickets) quotes is in Som instead of USD and offering USD probably gets you less favorable prices. I think another exception might be domestic plane tickets, which foreigners have to pay for in USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.