Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cruising the Baltic on the Royal Princess (LX J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruising the Baltic on the Royal Princess (LX J)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
I would definitely recommend Tallinn as a pit stop on a cruise. It is a supremely beautiful city and you won't regret it.
Agreed,
it's a fairly small city so any longer period of time could be boring after a while but a day trip like yours(and with that weather) then the city is fantastic.

Looking forward to your report from my home town.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
7. St Petersburg, Russia

Oh how we loved this city. I'll go ahead and say it... I enjoyed the sights of St Petersburg more than Paris .... If you just take a look at the city, it is a spectacular with palaces and monuments of unrivaled beauty. Make it a goal of yours to see this city - you won't be sorry.

St Petersburg hosts approximately 250 cruise ships per year, and while docking we had two neighbours, the Celebrity Constellation and the Queen Victoria.

Constellation getting fuel

We had a one night stayover in St Petersburg, and our first trip of the day was to Peterhof Palace. The bus ride to the palace takes about 90 minutes, as the palace is on the outskirts of the city.

No pictures are allowed inside Russia's "Versailles" but it is every bit as impressive as Versailles, and more so in my humble opinion.

I wondered why all the fountains were dry and was told that they are all activated simultaneously at the same time each day. Our tour then took us to the main fountain and we waited in anticipation. At precisely 11:00 beautiful classical music was played and the fountains were activated. I damn near started crying it was so moving. The fountains stayed on the for the rest of the day.

Thereafter we went for a tour of the gardens...

After Peterhof we returned to the ship, only to jump on our next tour which was the river cruise ...

The river cruise was mediocre, but ended with a bang as we stopped at the Church of Spilled Blood, named after the spot where one of the Tsar's was assassinated.

We encountered several weddings in the area, in fact we saw a ton of weddings in the city over the two days there we were there.

The river cruise didn't take much time, and soon we moved on to our next tour to Catherine's palace, which took place in the evening (even though it doesn't get dark at night).

The famous Amber room

After the tour of the Palace we were then privy to an audience and dance display in the presence of the "Empress". Along with a glass of champagne, it was a great deal of fun.

The royal family then made their way to the gardens and we the peasants were allowed to follow...

We then made our way to the carriage museum, which is on the property and included in the tour...

the royal pram

The royal sleigh

The next day we went to the Hermitage which was bursting with people. It has a lot of incredibly famous paintings and other items of value, but its as massive and busy as the Louvre, so prepare yourself.

The inside of the Hermitage is almost as beautiful as its contents, considering it was once a palace.

Da Vinci

Monet

Picasso

Last edited by SAtraveller; Aug 2, 2014 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

8. Helsinki, Finland

The next day we arrived in Helsinki, and decided to meander around the city for the day. We had a great deal of fun and enjoyed our time there.

We came across a market that was selling all kinds of fresh produce and crafts, including Reindeer meat. After trying a reindeer meatball, I was struck by a pinch of guilt at the thought of eating Rudolph. That said, it tastes like spicy mincemeat and was something I could definitely get into.

Stopping for a snack

Nice seat

Last edited by SAtraveller; Aug 2, 2014 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

9. Stockholm, Sweden

Along with St Petersburg, Stockholm was my favourite city. The city is extremely beautiful and we decided that we would definitely return to do it properly. One day is far too short.

This was the only city that required a tender from the boat, and then an hour's bus ride into the city.

After spending some time in the city, we headed off to the Ice Bar, which was a great source of excitement. An extension of the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden, this bar is kept at a cool minus 7 degrees Celsius. You are provided with a glass made of ice and some delicious cranberry vodka.

Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

10. CPH-JNB on Swiss in business class

Leg 1 : CPH-ZRH on Swiss business class

Swiss Airlines
A320
J - 50%
Y - 50%
Scheduled take-off 20:10
Actual take-off 20:15

After a wonderful cruise of the Baltic it was time to head home. After spending the day in Copenhagen again walking around and chilling, we headed off to Kastrup International for our short-leg flight to Zurich.

On arrival we saw that the business class line was not manned, so we joined the long line of economy class passengers checking in. Check-in was abysmal with some of the most apathetic (and pathetic) two women who have ever graced the airline industry with their presence. Although they were only cold and indifferent to us, they were outright rude to a man next to us who inquired about the baggage allowances.

"None of this baggage is acceptable! You should know this!! "

After a tedious pass through security we went in search of a lounge. Naturally the two princesses at the Swiss desks had not volunteered this information, so we asked a kind woman at Info where we could go, and she directed us to the SAS lounge.

The lounge is not very impressive, with rather basic seating and some drinks and snacks. There is no real view to speak of, but at least they had WiFi. While sitting there we came across the destruction of MH17 which was shocking and disconcerting. All the more worse that my family was busy flying back home with Emirates.

We started our lengthy trek to our gate which provided us with great views of the runway. While there we got to see an SAS A340-300 take off, and they're not too common if I remember correctly.

A similar plane to ours, but not ours.

Eventually we boarded with no preference for business class passengers. As usual, it makes very little difference to me, except for the one small caveat that they advertise "priority boarding". Rather say nothing or at least write on your website "you will board with everyone else, so don't get any ideas."

Even though we were granted almost no extra legroom to economy, it was nice to have some extra space next to me and an overall quieter cabin. The low load factor was also great.

Take off was smooth and on time...

There were two flight attendants... one was a grumpy middle-aged woman who refused to speak anything but German, and another friendly guy who spent most of the flight trying to warm up her frosty core. Alas, she could not be salvaged...

Pre-dinner snack (or Rorschach test... I wasn't sure which)

I couldn't remember what fish this was, but it was tasty. The lemony pudding and cheeses were excellent too.

The flight attendant asked us if we would like anything else, and we asked for more Swiss chocolate. He smiled and brought us about ten bars, which was overkill but sensational to pig on for the next hour.

Soon we were in Zurich after a short but rather pleasant flight. With a 90 minute changeover we decided to pop into the lounge for a quick drink.

"Good evening Sir, how are you?"
"Fine thank you and you?"
"Good thank you... Oh you are going to Johannesburg?"
"Yes we are."
"Oh sorry, the flight is cancelled" (lounge dragon with soft cow eyes)
"What? Why?"
"It is of a technical nature."
... Quick look to the flight screen...

"Noooooooooo!!!!

"Maybe they'll put us on Lufthansa or something?"
... mental slap...

After 'entering Switzerland again' we headed to the transfer desk where we received information about what would happen next. Being in business class we would be transferred to the Marriott Hotel via a bus transfer. We would then be fetched at 5am and we would fly out at 7am. Ah good, a day flight and not a dreaded 24h layover.

We arrived at the Marriott at about midnight. Scenes like this make you realize how many people are aboard a plane. With the lobby filled with people we were amused to see the night staff explode from one attendant to eight, as the manager himself came to check-in the guests. By 01:00 we were in our room, and ordered room service thanks to a nice 30 Swiss Francs voucher each for dinner.

After a quick sleep we were woken by Reception, and back on the bus. By 6am we were in the lounge having some orange juice. The delayed flight was regrettable but was handled extremely well by Swiss.

Some views from the lounge...

Our plane...

Leg 2: ZRH-JNB with Swiss in business class

Swiss Airlines
A340-300
F - 20%
J - 80%
Y - 90%
Scheduled take-off 22:50
Actual take-off 07:40

With a window seat this time, I was really excited about this flight. It's not often that you can fly across the whole of Africa in the day time. I'm a huge fan of day flights - you take off and relax and sleep, and then land and go sleep in a proper bed at night.

The only drawback of a day flight is that they start with my least favourite meal... breakfast

The Captain apologized for the delay and told us that today we had a new plane and a new crew. Soon we were off on the most spectacularly scenic flight. With a powerful take-off and a sharp left turn, we flew over Zurich and then the Alps.

The Alps were difficult to photograph due to the morning glare, and the fact that my window was horribly scratched and looked as if Wolverine had been at it.

Amenities kit

MENU

First Course
- Mediterranean salad with veal slices
- Chicken and pine nut dariole, salsa verde
- Seasonal salad with radish julienne

Main Course
- Grilled beef tenderloin with jus, fondant potatoes, chanterelles, shallot, romanesco.
- Honey and ginger glazed chicken breast, carrot puree with vanilla, peach and sugar snap peas.
- Feta and saffron vegetables - artichokes and courgette with feta and saffron sauce Tagliatelle.

Cheese selection (from Geneva)

Dessert
- Raspberry compote with lavender cream
- Chocolate

Coffee
- Espresso by Nespresso
- Teas by Sirocco

Flexible Option
- For a quicker option choose a lighter meal of first course, a cup of sweetcorn and lemongrass soup, cheese and dessert.

Breakfast
- A selection of hot and cold breakfast items will be served approximately 90 minutes before landing. If you prefer to sleep longer, a continental breakfast can be ordered from your flight attendant up to 40 minutes before landing.

Wines...

- Duval-Leroy Brut Champagne
- Chassenote Blanche 2013 - Satigny Switzerland: chasselas, pinot blanc, chardonnay.
- Kung Fu Girl 2013 - Columbia Valley USA: Riesling
- Le Baron Rouge 2013 - Satigny Switzerland: Gamay
- Syrah 2011 - Columbia Valley USA: Syrah
- L'Hirondelle de Faugeres 2011 Grand Cru Classe - St Emilion, France: Merlot

Not surprisingly the menu was backwards. The delightful breakfast cart came past, and I took a lot of everything. The Muesli they make is so delicious.

By the time breakfast was finished we had crossed over the Mediterranean and were starting with the exquisite Sahara.

Amusing myself with Noah

People started to close their blinds, and I did the same and started to sleep for a few hours. The flight was far less turbulent than on the way there.

The start of the African terrain

With two hours before landing the crew started the dinner service...

The beef was delicious

After a few last minute turns we touched down safely after a wonderful holiday. Would I recommend Swiss? Definitely!

Thanks for reading my report

Last edited by SAtraveller; Aug 2, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:22 pm

Great report! I recognized lots of those sights from Stockholm and Helsinki (particularly Stockholm) from my trip there last summer
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Great report! Your photos are fantastic! The fish on the CPH-ZRH flight looks like salmon (and a nice piece of salmon).
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Princess Captains Circle, USA Cycling
Great report! As a maritime student and ship buff, I've been following the Royal and her sister, Regal, since there keels were laid. Beautiful ships.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
awesome TR

I am guessing your family made it home ok, the Ukraine situation is very worrying
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I appreciate your report as well. Read every word.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I love your flight and cruise combo report.

I was debating between visiting Oslo or Stockholm on my next Europe trip and you convinced me to visit Stockholm. ^
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Lovely TR - very inspiring too. You should definitely go back to Stockholm, it is expensive (more so than Copenhagen though I don't believe it's as bad as Oslo) but it's wonderful.

Incidentally the building in Copenhagen with the twisted dragons spire is the old stock exchange.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great report! I really enjoyed reading it!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Agreed,
it's a fairly small city so any longer period of time could be boring after a while but a day trip like yours(and with that weather) then the city is fantastic.

Looking forward to your report from my home town.
Thank you, and I hope I didn't disappoint... Stockholm was fantastic.

Originally Posted by steveman518
Great report! I recognized lots of those sights from Stockholm and Helsinki (particularly Stockholm) from my trip there last summer
Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by dcmike
Great report! Your photos are fantastic! The fish on the CPH-ZRH flight looks like salmon (and a nice piece of salmon).
Thanks very much Actually I recall it not being salmon but some other strange fish, but it was tasty!

Originally Posted by bikeNfly
Great report! As a maritime student and ship buff, I've been following the Royal and her sister, Regal, since there keels were laid. Beautiful ships.
They are fantastic, and part of the reason why we chose Princess for this cruise over our usual Celebrity

Originally Posted by adampenrith
awesome TR

I am guessing your family made it home ok, the Ukraine situation is very worrying
Yes they did luckily, thank you, but I was not very happy that they flew over the Ukraine both ways.

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
I appreciate your report as well. Read every word.
Thank you kindly!

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I love your flight and cruise combo report.

I was debating between visiting Oslo or Stockholm on my next Europe trip and you convinced me to visit Stockholm. ^
Excellent news... I wouldn't like to be unfair towards Oslo considering I didn't tour it properly, but in my humble opinion, Stockholm was vastly more impressive.

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Great report. Thanks for sharing!
Its a great pleasure, thank you.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Lovely TR - very inspiring too. You should definitely go back to Stockholm, it is expensive (more so than Copenhagen though I don't believe it's as bad as Oslo) but it's wonderful.

Incidentally the building in Copenhagen with the twisted dragons spire is the old stock exchange.
More expensive than Copenhagen ... we are going to try and catch a 787 flight on BA to Stockholm to do it properly. Thank you for the info on the Dragon's tails.
Originally Posted by McSam18
Great report! I really enjoyed reading it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.