Reload this Page >

A week with the grandkids... while trying to survive 13 hours in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:29 pm

They had the nerve to give you a blanket with grease stains? About the snack....was than an artichoke? Glad you and the Mrs have quiet.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
It was not my original intent to fly back home on United. Indeed, I had purchased a non-refundable ticket on AA8 one of two daily HNL-DFW 767-300s assuming that I would be upgraded, either with a free EXP upgrade or, worst case, an SWU. Alas, I played the odds and lost when a wide open F cabin went from F7 A5 to F2 A0 overnight.
Auwe!

But the UA hard product looks like it gets the job done, especially on the red-eye.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: QFF
If thats what they feed you in 3 class first. I'd hate to think what was served to the poor people in economy.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by somebol
If thats what they feed you in 3 class first. I'd hate to think what was served to the poor people in economy.
It's better in Y because they get to charge you for it
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
I know nothing of UA being an AA guy, so I am wondering - can UA F pax ask for the Y buy-on-board options? I know some carriers/flight crews will do that.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks everyone for following the saga and for your comments.

Originally Posted by wrp96
What the heck is that supposed to be?
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Looks like a cold mezze plate to me. Not exactly up to the standards of EY, TK, or the like, but I've seen worse.
Originally Posted by Nanook
The hummus doesn't look bad. But that other stuff....eewwww.
That "main" is a cold plate of red peppers in front and, left to right, cheese, artichoke heart and quinoa, supposedly.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I had the same problem as you last year, gate lice galore with the way United configures the gate.
Guess where we know where your 2 Billion Dollars cuts come from, too cheap for coin washing machines
LOL. Maybe they just pick them up, fold them and reseal in plastic. Saves money if you only wash them once a month.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
SFO I've got a UAL global First in April to Cdg And now am dreading it. Big boo boo on my part. After that I'm done with United.
You might consider spending the extra miles and upgrading to LH when they open seats in that last week before departure.

Originally Posted by steveman518
That savings must also come from new menu development, as I remember that snack from a transcon redeye several years ago...
I don't think UA catering has had an original idea in years. In contrast, AA changes menu once a month.

Originally Posted by fly4work
The tasting menu at Alan Wong's makes me want to hop a flight over this weekend just for that!
Was that popcorn in the snack?
IMO, well worth the trip. Believe it or not, that was "cheese"

Originally Posted by happymom2008
They had the nerve to give you a blanket with grease stains? About the snack....was than an artichoke? Glad you and the Mrs have quiet.
Thank you happymom2008. To be fair to the crew, the blanket was sealed in plastic and the grease stain not apparent until I removed it and open it up.

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Auwe!
But the UA hard product looks like it gets the job done, especially on the red-eye.
Agree on both! For a domestic flight, the hard product is great. Just eat before the flight.

Originally Posted by somebol
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
+1
Although I don't know what, if anything, they offered from the BOB menu in Y.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I know nothing of UA being an AA guy, so I am wondering - can UA F pax ask for the Y buy-on-board options? I know some carriers/flight crews will do that.
I know of UA F pax that have bought from the BOB menu. A lot depends on the crew and whether they will let you buy before all Y pax are offered.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist

Great ending. Appears that as long as you eat before the flight, drink a lot, it's a great flight in a very good seat for USA first class. United club looks pretty good too.

Ps I was reading one of your old trip reports and you stated that you were mad about Lebron leaving Cleveland for Miami (don't have actual quote). How do you feel about him now? Just curious to hear firsthand.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: AA Plat
Excellent finale. The food looks gross! Glad you had a nice dinner before. Have I mentioned how glad I am I was able to switch from UA F to LH F? haha

The seat does look quite good for a "domestic" flight. Now back to your regular F reports!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:38 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
I've had the that "snack" they gave you at a restaurant and it looked more colorful and alive than this one. the one you showed looks old... kinda a weird choice for an airplane too.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:58 pm

So I cancel the UAL flight and re book Lufthansa first class. How long do you think it would take to get my miles back into my acct?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAL250
Great ending. Appears that as long as you eat before the flight, drink a lot, it's a great flight in a very good seat for USA first class. United club looks pretty good too.
Ps I was reading one of your old trip reports and you stated that you were mad about Lebron leaving Cleveland for Miami (don't have actual quote). How do you feel about him now? Just curious to hear firsthand.
Thank you UAL250. That is an excellent strategy for flying United. Eat before the flight and drink lot on board. From DEN, that UA 777 is a great option. Easy award availability in F and a nice F cabin for a domestic flight.

Ah yes, Lebron. I loved him until he split for Miami, then hated him. But now all is forgiven. Mrs. SFO mocked me for tearing up when he announced he was "coming home". I went back to Cleveland to boo at his first game back as then enemy, and I hope to go back for his first game in November.
All is forgiven.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Excellent finale. The food looks gross! Glad you had a nice dinner before. Have I mentioned how glad I am I was able to switch from UA F to LH F? haha The seat does look quite good for a "domestic" flight. Now back to your regular F reports!
Thanks Digital01. Glad you enjoyed LH First.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I've had the that "snack" they gave you at a restaurant and it looked more colorful and alive than this one. the one you showed looks old... kinda a weird choice for an airplane too.
United sure likes that snack option as I understand they've been serving it for years.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
So I cancel the UAL flight and re book Lufthansa first class. How long do you think it would take to get my miles back into my acct?
Excellent move. When are you traveling?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:32 am

We won't be going to CDG till April, but the wife doesn't like surprises.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
As always, great TR! I enjoyed reading your views on Y. I'd have to say WN is probably my least favorite airline that I've flown with that is still in operation.

What would have really completed the whole report would have been a review on the Happy Meal.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
SFO777 welcme back from your "break". Seems you did he best thing in Waikiki....arrive, then leave ! Maui was great but last month in Waikiki with the family was awful, wish I I hade seen the AW review then.

I compare HNL with Okinawa, the biggest difference is is more Japanese in HNL, more americans in Okinawa !!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Eurobonus, AAdvantage and SPG
Quote: What an amazing treat this dinner was. One of the best meals of the year at what is one of our Ten 10 Favorite Restaurants in the World.

Hi there,

Seems like you had one hell of a dinner at Wong's - everything looks Sensational.

Would you care to elaborate your top 10 favorite restaurants of the World list?

All the best
/A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.