Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Vienna 6 of 6

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:37 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
I was in both hotels in April. Hilton Vienna is more modern hotel, and obviously the location is more central. However, we didn't mind the U-bahn ride from Hilton Vienna Danube, and we didn't have any problems with sound proofing. Also, I prefer EL in Danube, especially the happy hour offerings were much better and staff more professional.
You are right about the lounge offerings and the attentive staff at the Danube. Those were definitely the pluses. We did not mind the U-bahn either. Other than the sound proof issue, the hotel is fairly good.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Vienna Public Transportation

Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Gold
Vienna's U-Bahn Underground Train System

There is still a touch of newness to the train stations. The trains are clean and welcoming, with primary colors of yellow and warm orange. The trains allow pets on board (thumbs up for the Austrians!) although I should mention that dogs are required to be muzzled whilst in the trains.

The ticketing system is also straight-forward with choices of daily, 2-days, 3-days, 8-days tickets. I thought the daily unlimited travel ticket was well-priced at Euros 7.20. It also allows travel on local trams and buses.

I should also point out that the when it comes to ticketing, the "honest" system is in places meaning travellers are expected to travel with a valid ticket; there are no gates or conductors to play the gate-keeper role. Comparing my experiences in a number of other European cities, I give the Vienna's U-Bahn a comparatively higher rating.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Previous Trip Report on Vienna

As we are about to conclude the Vienna portion of this trip report, I would like to share the trip report I did on Vienna back in 2010. How time flies but Vienna remains timeless:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=19989
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Vienna Airport

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Diamond
Great live report ^
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

Austrian Business Lounge at Vienna Wien Airport

Austrian Business Lounge at Vienna Wien Airport

UA_Flyer and I both gave the thumbs up to the lounge design - the clean lines, spaciousness and simplicity won us over. Of course there is also the drinks cabinet which was well stocked with a "more-than-usual" variety of water, juices, soft drinks and beers. There were also interesting sugary alternatives like flavored green tea.

UA_Flyer noticed that all were glass-bottled drinks - no cans or bottles. We ate our breakfast at the lounge and we both agreed the highlight was the rich buttery scrambled eggs of which I had one too many servings - thumbs up! English reading materials however were lacking including broadsheet newspapers.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 25 VIE to ZRH

May 25 VIE to ZRH

Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:35 pm

VIE to ZRH on Swiss Air

Not a lot to report for this short flight except that given its proximity to our FRA-VIE flight on Lufthansa taken 3 days ago, there was a noticeable contrast between the quality of meals offered despite both being regional routes of slightly over an hour in duration.

The experience on Lufthansa from FRA-VIE was outstanding particularly the meal service as I have described in post #13 to this TR. By comparison, what we were offered on Swiss Air on our VIE-ZRH flight was a far cry in terms of quality.

It was a morning flight so breakfast was served. We were given 2 pieces of cold cuts, a slice of cheese and bread, a small bowl of flavored muesli and fruits. The cold cuts unfortunately showed signs of being “old” with ends that had already started to dry out. Overall I would rate this a moderate experience.

Last edited by SAUCflyer; Jun 7, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Transit @ ZRH

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 8, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:38 pm

Transit at ZRH

The Paranoma Lounge was extremely busy (perhaps because it serves over 2 dozen airlines). This was in stark difference to the tranquility we experienced earlier in the Austrian lounge (post #38). The presentation of the offerings (food, drinks, condiments) seemed disorganized too, perhaps due to the crowd. There was, however, an outside sitting area which may be a good option for some travelers especially on a bright sunny day such as this one.

At the gates, the waiting area was extremely messy as was boarding. Staff did a poor job of organizing the boarding process. The wait to board the plane was a relatively excruciating experience even for business class passengers.

Last edited by SAUCflyer; Jun 8, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
So glad you captured this ad UA_Flyer ^! It speaks so well to those FTers who insanely love their pets (myself included)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Zurich to Miami 1 of 3

May 25 Zurich to Miami

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 10, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
UA Flyer welcome back!! And greetings to SAUCflyer!

You certainly set the gold standard in air travel photography; certainly among the best in the forum.

In other observations, I can't believe they still offer the "Great Wall of China" wines in the PEK lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.