Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Adventures of Rebecca Blanton - LHR to CLE on UA (Y) AKA another LHR T2 Trial

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Adventures of Rebecca Blanton - LHR to CLE on UA (Y) AKA another LHR T2 Trial

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold

I know most people have got better things to do than pretend to be somebody else for a day, unless of course you happen to be in show business. Today however, I would pretend to be someone 20 years older than myself, turn into a woman and somehow find the baby change! It could mean only one thing, another Heathrow Terminal 2 trial is upon us.

With a 2PM departure to Cleveland ahead of me it was time to catch some last minute snaps and sightseeing. The old BBC building and a few shots of the good old London Underground are always fun to share, they are famous the world over after all.

DSC06885 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06887 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06888 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06889 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06890 by Spymon26, on Flickr

After a short hop to Hammersmith it was time to change from pink to blue (or should that be blue to pink, this acting thing is not my cup of tea) and onto the Picadilly Line to Heathrow Terminals 1-3. The trip was uneventful bar an immaculately dressed BA flight attendant sat opposite me who like the rest of us was buried deep in her phone. I wonder how BA compares to UA?

We were soon at Heathrow and it was only a short walk to the terminal building from the station.

DSC06891 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06892 by Spymon26, on Flickr

I was kindly dissuaded from taking the elevator as the escalator apparently offered a more scenic experience. They were not wrong, the majesty of flight was there in front of me, hopefully I would not be brought down to Earth any time soon.

DSC06893 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06894 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06895 by Spymon26, on Flickr

It was soon time to check in and not being a fan of those self-service check in desks I decided to try and check in for my flight. I knew I was a good 4 hours early but better safe than sorry. Despite checking my instructions I was unsure where to go.

DSC06897 by Spymon26, on Flickr

I thought I was in the right place but it was hard to figure out where to go. I finally realised that behind all these fancy self-service desks, right at the back was a queue, it was long and slow moving with a United Sign on the monitor. Perhaps this was where I was supposed to be?

DSC06896 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Unfortunately I was not a First Class, Business Class or Star Alliance Gold so I would have to queue with everyone else for a change. Whilst I was waiting for what seemed like 40 minutes I got talking to a nice man who regularly travelled from the UK to India and Spain. His son was a pilot with one of the airlines and he made for good company during the painfully long wait to check in. If I had been allowed to I would have tried one of the self-service desks, surely even someone like me could have figured it out. I also bumped into a friendly chap with a bright yellow luggage tag on.

DSC06898 by Spymon26, on Flickr

There were all kinds of weird and wonderful luggage today. Thankfully I just had my carry on.

DSC06899 by Spymon26, on Flickr

I wonder what was taking so long, the ANA queue next to us was moving at a much better place.

DSC06900 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Finally I managed to check in and then off to security, well not quite as I made an accidental turn into Fast Track and was politely sent on my way to the next lane over.

DSC06901 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Security was quick and efficient, with good space and plenty of trays. I had agreed to meet my friend at the baby change, but where was it?

DSC06902 by Spymon26, on Flickr

I followed the signs but ended up at the lounge and they certainly weren't going to let me in there today on my Economy ticket.

DSC06903 by Spymon26, on Flickr

It was nice to see plenty of seating in case my old legs got tired with a long wait to go to departure.

DSC06904 by Spymon26, on Flickr

With time to kill I picked up a rather awful cup of coffee and a tasty chocolate muffin and after finally finding the baby change took a look around.

DSC06905 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06906 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06907 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06908 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06909 by Spymon26, on Flickr

With departure time approaching it was time to head over to the B gates where UA1305 would be departing today. Time for one last stretch before I being packed into that special seat, 43B a middle seat, my personal favourite.

DSC06910 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06911 by Spymon26, on Flickr

And I thought the escalators at T5 were long...

DSC06912 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06913 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06914 by Spymon26, on Flickr

At least I wasn't on the Denver flight.

DSC06915 by Spymon26, on Flickr

For some reason this cave like feature of the terminal was my favourite part, it had a special, almost secret quality to it.

DSC06916 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06917 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06918 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06919 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Self service boarding seems like fun, where should I go today...

DSC06920 by Spymon26, on Flickr

It was a beautiful sunny day in London, not as if anyone would believe me!

DSC06921 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06922 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06923 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06924 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06925 by Spymon26, on Flickr

I don't think they'll be needing these today.

DSC06926 by Spymon26, on Flickr

A quick stop at the rest room to freshen up.

DSC06927 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Time to relax before boarding is called.

DSC06928 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06929 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Maybe next time?

DSC06930 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06931 by Spymon26, on Flickr

This looks shiny.

DSC06932 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06933 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06934 by Spymon26, on Flickr

Back to my favourite spot again.

DSC06935 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06936 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06937 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06938 by Spymon26, on Flickr

It was soon time to board and it was a bit confusing with the screens saying one thing and not knowing on who's left or right I was supposed to be boarding on...

Unfortunately we hit a snag and the plane was not flying anywhere today. Instead we had to head back to border control and as an apology for the long queues we were given refreshments and a small gift, how nice.

DSC06941 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06942 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06944 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06945 by Spymon26, on Flickr

DSC06947 by Spymon26, on Flickr

And with that it was time to return to reality. In all T2 looks lovely, it was a shame the lounges weren't ready yet as it would have been fun to try and sneak in. The only negatives are that it is quite a trek over to the B gates and one poor soul was sprinting down the corridor linking T2A and B as he was somehow late for his "flight" which I found quite impressive. Also the mobile signal and WIFI was terrible everywhere in the terminal I checked. Hopefully this is something that they are able to fix before the real passengers start checking in.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
He was probably delibirately made late. Well you'd hope so anyway.

Another interesting T2 report - I don't think anyone from FT has actually 'left there' in F yet! Maybe I will be the lucky one in a couple of weeks time?
Old May 1, 2014, 5:46 pm

Nice report and photos. Glad they haven't done the stupid T5 option of putting in a time-wasting transit between the main terminal building and the satellite. Seems a bit dumb they have "numbered" the lounges using the same format as the gate numbers though.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spymon

DSC06944 by Spymon26, on Flickr
Cool report. What's this?
Old May 2, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
I am curious about the route, was that a special UA charter? UA never flew LHR-CLE although CO ran CLE-LGW for a few years, but that was years ago.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
I am curious about the route, was that a special UA charter? UA never flew LHR-CLE although CO ran CLE-LGW for a few years, but that was years ago.
I was thinking the same thing! I remember when I lived in Cleveland in the late 90's taking the non stop 752 to Gatwick (if memory serves flight 28). When I read this I didn't realize they brought this flight back (albeit Heathrow).

At any rate great report!
Old May 2, 2014, 8:14 am

I'll be flying into T2 this November on EI. Looking forward to all that newness.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Cool report. What's this?
It's a travel adaptor, though it looks more suited to grinding pepper in an italian restaurant. Glad people enjoyed this fake TR!
Old May 3, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
So you were supposed to be a mom travelling with a baby (presumably, otherwise why would you need the baby changing station), but didn't have any checked baggage with you? That is either the best-packing mother of a newborn in the world, or a woman who is seriously delinquent mother.

Good faux TR.
Old May 3, 2014, 3:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the report, definitely a fun read and a nice intro to T2.

A couple years ago I got to test the new ATL Terminal F. My "boarding pass" was for an ATL-CPH flight
Old May 3, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
When I read this I didn't realize they brought this flight back (albeit Heathrow).
United did not bring back the flight. The T2 trials have used many fake flights, including this one.

This was an excellent trial trip report.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
So you were supposed to be a mom travelling with a baby (presumably, otherwise why would you need the baby changing station), but didn't have any checked baggage with you? That is either the best-packing mother of a newborn in the world, or a woman who is seriously delinquent mother.

Good faux TR.
Thanks GregWTravels, I didn't understand the exact scenario either. Maybe the baby change is code for something I am too innocent to understand.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for the report, definitely a fun read and a nice intro to T2.

A couple years ago I got to test the new ATL Terminal F. My "boarding pass" was for an ATL-CPH flight
Thanks CMK10, glad you enjoyed it. Some people reported they were able to check in online for these fake flights themselves and use mobile boarding passes though I don't think that was part of the trial.

Originally Posted by 14940674
This was an excellent trial trip report.
Thanks 14940674, glad you enjoyed the fake TR!
Old May 13, 2014, 9:33 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Great report.
Just curious, which restroom did you use (M or F)?
Old May 13, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SYM
Great report.
Just curious, which restroom did you use (M or F)?
Use your imagination, but there wasn't a queue if that helps.

Unfortunately I did not take a photo of what was to the right of the sinks!

Nice bathrooms and all automatic so they felt nice and hygienic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.