Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Champlagnes - (TG F, OZ J & F, NH F) - (Sofitel, Hyatt, Conrad, Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Wow. Very impressive meal on ANA's part, and this has just notched my desire to fly ANA F higher.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
Awesome TR. Just awesome....Thanks for taking the time.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: M&M mainly
WOW! Ana first rules! And the whole adventure is spectacular, thank you for sharing.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:03 am

Incredible! Can't wait to try ANA F!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:58 am

ANA F really is that good!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Thanks for all the great support guys!
It really makes the hours spent putting this together worthwhile

NRT-LHR NH F 777 - Part II

I had another couple of coffees whilst watching the highly cerebral Arnie and Sly film: Escape Plan. Seriously though, I had zero complaints about the ANA IFE. There was a huge selection of new releases plus a load of classics. The only things I missed versus a British carrier were the great documentaries that you usually get.

After the film was over - in a flash of inspiration, seeing these ageing hulks, I decided it was high time I 'packed on some mass'.

ANA doesn't serve a second meal per se but has such a huge number of extra dishes available, that something quite good can be assembled should one desire to eat a second time.

This in is stark contrast to other carriers which only cater a single meal plus a small selection of snacks and sandwiches.

To begin my second meal I ordered caviar. The FA apologised profusely when presenting it to me.

"I'm very sorry Mr Jermyn, we have no more garnishes"
"As long as you keep my glass garnished with Krug, I don't mind"

A request she very kindly complied with, much to my satisfaction.

EXTREME CAVIAR CLOSE UP!

After clearing the caviar the FA asked if I'd like any bread. I'm not usually big into carbs but couldn't resist one of the bright pink cherry blossom buns.

It was soft and chewy just like Chinese mantou. It had that great textural contrast where you can peel away the thicker outer 'skin' and then attack the soft inner dough.

I then went for a selection of 'sake snacks'. Salmon tartare and fried fish cakes.

This was followed by another delectable wheel of foie gras swimming in delicious sweet, acidic juices.

After this came the main course of stuffed quail. (aside from the fried fish and seasoned tartare the FAs didn't want to serve any fish at this late stage of the flight, for fear that it wouldn't be fresh enough).

As with all the other dishes, the quail was magnificent. Deboned and stuffed almost to bursting point, sitting in a rich sauce, with vegetables providing the requisite crunch and palate cleansing relief.

I had yet to sample a dessert on this flight, so I went for the most intriguing. Cheese and cassis ice cream with candied lemons and limes.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best desserts I've ever had.

I mean, look at it. It's beautiful.

I was particularly mesmerised by the shard of sugar glass, containing dried berry pieces, protruding from the centre of the cheese ice cream.

However great the presentation was, it paled in comparison to the taste. Sweet, savoury, rich, sharp, sour, creamy, soft and crunchy - a symphony of flavours and textures, all balanced supremely.

The fruit was a little underwhelming in contrast!

A couple of glasses of Krug later the dreaded announcement came over the PA. We were to begin our decent from this demi-paradise back to the bleak clutches of reality.

Touch down was smooth and uneventful. Given my propensity to be involved in go-arounds, this is always a plus.

Although, touching down at the end of a flight is always something of a melancholic affair, I do enjoy spotting aircraft which I have previously flown or know I am soon to fly.

This whale will feature in the TR after next.

To summarise, ANA F is the best experience I've ever had on a plane. The mixture of service, food and bedding is, in my mind, unbeatable.

On the ground the handling experience isn't as good as TG, the lounge isn't as good as the VS clubhouse and the service in OZ F blows every other airline away.

Despite all of this I wouldn't hesitate in picking NH F as the overall best experience.

I have a lot of F flights booked across a variety of different airlines and alliances so will have ample opportunity to test my theory but for now ANA is number one.

Until next time.

Cheers!

Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Well done sir, well done .
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
A crackerjack TR. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks so much.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Top notch!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:29 am

Magnificent report! ^

Your experience of NH F brings back very fond memories of mine back in December last year. I'm excited to have another NH F trip in November, can't wait.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great report man! Especially enjoyed the ANA parts - what a treat!

Look forward to the next one!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:25 pm

Fantastic report. I did OZ FRA-ICN F in January - only passenger in F. And I have NH NRT-ORD F in October. Your report has given me a lot to look forward to!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer/BA Blue/AB Classic
Fantastic report, OZ and NH F look absolutely incredible experiences.

I've flown OZ before but only in Y unfortunately.

The Sofitel in Bangkok as well, I didn't even know that hotel existed, what a place! Looked at the Conrad myself when doing research for a trip to Japan in 2007, but decided on the Park Hyatt instead at the time.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:53 pm

Great trip report. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:22 pm

Out of curiosity to the OP:

Did you have to request for them to save you the dishes from the Western menu for later in the flight? I want to try both menus the next time I fly NH F, the last time I flew with them I didn't bother asking if they had seconds later in the flight from the main menu... (but come to think of it, I did order the Japanese menu + 2 Western appetizers and dessert for my first meal, so I guess they have extras)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.