Snowboarding in Nagano feat. TG F and NH F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snowboarding in Nagano feat. TG F and NH F

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
Another great report, always like the pictures!
Old May 13, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for this. I enjoyed seeing a side of Japan less reported on. I also loved your photography. I'm sure Ms Spymon's heart will melt when she sees the baby monkey!
Old May 14, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Fabulous photos and trip report. Esp the pictures of the monkeys.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:05 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Beautiful photos, quirrow! Seems like you were blessed with good weather for much of your trip.

Originally Posted by quirrow
When I proceed to the room, I was also pleased with it since it was a good size. The decor of the room is more of old-European style and probably dates from the 80s.
Surprisingly enough, JR Central Towers (and the Marriott) was completed in 1999. Most mid-range hotels from the end of the bubble to as recently as ten years ago are decorated in that faux-traditional style. Rather awful, really...
Old May 18, 2014, 12:10 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Fascinating TR with some lovely pictures. Thanks for posting it - very inspiring!
Thank you exilencfc, it was actually my second snowboarding trip in Japan, and visiting the different regions of Japan was interesting in that there are different types of food to enjoy!

Originally Posted by Moomba
Great pictures and report. I especially like the pictures of the bamboo grove and the village. Really nice. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Moomba, I love those two areas as well and it was certainly a day well spent visiting both regions from Nagoya!

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Love the way you chronicled everything with sufficient details, but never over bearing. Nice job. Always enjoy reading your TRs.

I also did similar day trips from Nagoya to Kyoto and Takayama. You can also go to the Toyota Factory tour in Toyota Shi as a day trip from here.

Wow, you were greeted with blue skies compared to my (also Christmas-NewYear) trip when I saw nothing but cloudy and gray skies for days.

I love the winter scene of Takayama. My summer trip there yielded horrible photos as it rained constantly.
Thank you allset2travel! I already visited the Toyota factory when I stayed at the Westin Nagoya. The other sight I would want to visit while in Nagoya is the JR train museum at the outskirts of town, and Nagoya will always be a city I would re-visit while in Japan since the hotel rates are usually cheaper than Tokyo or Osaka and it is midway between both cities. Finally, it is the city where I can get to eat what I view as the most delicious way to eat an eel, a delicacy called Hitsumabushi!

Originally Posted by BUT777
Another great report, always like the pictures!
Thank you BUT777!

Originally Posted by Spymon
Thanks for this. I enjoyed seeing a side of Japan less reported on. I also loved your photography. I'm sure Ms Spymon's heart will melt when she sees the baby monkey!
Originally Posted by mikelcf
Fabulous photos and trip report. Esp the pictures of the monkeys.
Glad you enjoyed it Spymon and mikelcf, it is really easy to visit the snow monkeys and take photos of them since there are so many of them in the area!

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Beautiful photos, quirrow! Seems like you were blessed with good weather for much of your trip.

Surprisingly enough, JR Central Towers (and the Marriott) was completed in 1999. Most mid-range hotels from the end of the bubble to as recently as ten years ago are decorated in that faux-traditional style. Rather awful, really...
Yes armagebedar, there was even lots of snow overnight making it several great sunny powder days for snowboarding in Shiga Kogen.

As for that style of hotel, the Westin Tokyo also features such rooms, of which I do not care for. Some higher end hotels in Asia like the Hotel Mulia in Jakarta and the JW Marriott in Surabaya also features such style. My main complaint is that they make the room appear darker!
Old May 18, 2014, 12:13 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

ANA Suite Lounge in Narita

For passengers taking All Nippon Airways First Class from Narita, there is a dedicated check-in area which is also open for the highest members of the ANA Mileage Club. I arrived with some time to spare into Narita after spending a night in Tokyo and taking the airport limousine bus (which is really just a bus...). I have already checked in online using the ANA mobile app on the iPhone and obtained my mobile boarding pass on passbook, but I do have my ski bags and luggage to check in. Thus I proceed to the ANA Suite check-in area at the north-eastern corner of the terminal, past the ANA's business class check-in row.

ANA First Suite Check-in

Unfortunately, it was very packed when I arrived that afternoon and I managed to get one of the check-in attendants to watch for my luggage so that I could get some drinks first. When I returned, I proceeded to an empty counter and once again the check-in took some time as the attendant wanted to charge me for my snowboard but some reasoning allowed me to escape the extra baggage charge. Somehow do note that even First Class passengers are subject to a maximum luggage dimensions for skis and snowboards, even if the weight and piece is within the quantity specified.

All Nippon Airways First Suite Check-in

Seats in the Suite check-in area

Once check-in was completed, a dining coupon worth 2000 yen was given in case the lounge is full. I didn't really get the point since the check-in attendant seems to have some problems explaining to me what this voucher is for. I never had this before and thought I could use it to get some snacks but it applies only to the restaurants (though I later found out some snack shops do accept this voucher).

ANA 777s at Narita

After checking in at the Suite area, there is a dedicated security lane by the end which allows First Class passengers to escape the public security area though all passengers converge into the similar immigration area. The line for immigration was about 4-5 people on each lanes and it took perhaps 15 minutes or so to pass. Not too bad actually since I understand that between 3-5pm is a busy time as many international flights with huge capacity departs from Narita.

Sign to ANA Suite Lounge

Passing through immigration, I head to buy some souvenirs first before heading to the sole ANA Suite Lounge in the No. 4 Satellite even though my flight was departing from the No. 5 satellite. It seems the last ANA Suite Lounge I visited is under renovation.

ANA 777 being prepared for boarding

Once I entered, I enquired about the shower in the lounge as I wanted to refresh myself before the long flight. After that, I was ushered into the lounge by an attendant and once seated, I was handed a hot towel and asked if I would like anything to drink. I asked for a green tea and went to find some other snacks. The lounge is designed similarly to the one in the No. 5 satellite and has some nice views of the tarmac, including some ANA widebodies being prepped for boarding. There was also the private cubicles with a TV and a work desk but it was all occupied when I visited. It seems the No. 4 satellite Suite Lounge is more packed or maybe it was because the other lounge was in renovation.

Magazine and private corner

The lounge also had some English magazines though the large majority were Japanese newspapers and reading materials. Compared to many other lounges, it was lacking in providing for the international traveller.

Coat hangers in the lounge

Rice bowl options

Buffet counter

However there was still ample seating, and it was nice that the lounge was segregated by partitions with coat hangers scattered around. This made it easy for guests to hang their coats during winter and not occupy much needed seats. For food options, there was the usual hot rice dishes and udon that guests can order. On the buffet counter was a range of sandwiches, salads and desserts.

Dessert options

Lindt chocolates

There was also some nice chocolates by Lindt, dried fruits and nuts as well as a variety of alcoholic drinks in the lounge. After getting a couple of chocolates and one plate of dessert, I head back to my seat to relax and have a bite. Just as I finished, one of the attendant came to me to let me know the shower was ready.

Alcoholic drinks at the bar

Dining area in the evening

On my previous visit, First Class passengers were provided with a pack of bath amenities from Thann, which I actually liked. But recently they switched to a set by Shiseido. I did not use them but I did pack them to pass to my sister since she does use Shiseido products and there are some of them not sold outside of Japan. The shower room was similar to my last visit and was a spacious enough with a shower stall at the end. What I really dislike was how the toilet did not have a cover. It just felt weird. For business class passengers, there were amenities in small sachets on the basket along with fresh towels and other amenities like toothbrushes and combs.

Shiseido bath amenity

As far as lounges go, I kind of like the ANA Suite Lounge even though it was nothing special. While it did not have massages like the Royal Orchid Spa in Bangkok or an exclusive ambience like the Private Room in Singapore or a cabana like the Wing in Hong Kong, I did find the quality of their offerings to be respectable enough for a First Class lounge. At least I find them to be better than the First Class lounge of any US-based airlines.

ANA logo on the cups
Old May 19, 2014, 8:41 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

ANA First Square NRT-SFO

NH008 Tokyo Narita NRT - San Francisco International SFO
STD-STA: 1725-0925 (+1)
Actual: 1750-0913 (+1)
Boeing 777-300ER JA723A
Gate 51 Seat 1K

All Nippon Airways Logo

All Nippon Airways boarding pass

Since the boarding gate was some distance away from the lounge, I left shortly after my shower and walked across the underground passageway connecting satellite No 4 and No 5. Boarding has yet to start when I arrived though it was not a long wait before they commenced with boarding.

Connecting walkway between satellite 4 and 5 at Narita Terminal 1

Somehow the service onboard was the least memorable in this flight. For example, there was no hot towels during boarding. It was also a full flight up front today. It also took some time before any attendant came by to offer drinks and I got my aromatic kabosu drink while the Rimowa kit was already on the ledge by the seat. I was kind of surprised to find another Rimowa since I thought they were just offered on flights into Japan.

First Square cubicle at 1K

Rimowa kit

Other refreshed amenities includes the new pair pyjamas which was very well presented along with a cardigan and blanket on seat. Shortly after the crew handed out magazines and newspapers before chief purser came to introduce herself. Then the crew returned with the amenity tray which featured a lip balm, since none was given in the kit. I also grabbed a sock and each of the ANA original aroma. ANA might not give a very complete set of amenities in their kit but passengers should know they can almost get all the other amenities from the basket when they require them. And I think their amenities are very well made compared to ones provided by other airlines.

Pyjamas and cardigan

While the plane was being prepped for the taxi, the captain estimated an arrival time of around 9:25am, with an 8-hour plus flying time, and there was a slight delay. Though the boarding was quite efficient for what I think was a flight with healthy loads.

Passport and boarding pass

Upon take off, I noticed the supplied Sony headphones has a bent pin and I got a change. At this time, menus were presented and a short while later, drink orders were taken. Again, I have to point out that ANA First Class has one of the most extensive drinks menu I have seen and they serve Krug as the champagne, similar to Cathay Pacific First. So first order of the flight is to have that obligatory champagne as a celebration of sorts for taking to the skies!

Pouring a glass of Krug

The menu for the flight read as follow:

Kaiseki cuisine choices

Modern European choices

Sake accompaniment and light dishes choices

Light dishes menu prior to arrival

The first dish was a pre dinner amuse bouche of foie gras mousse, cheese and bean curd in miso flavour, crab legs with ikura, dried smoked salmon, and breadsticks. I always enjoyed these pre-dinner snacks and again this one lived to my expectations.

Amuse bouche and champagne

For my past flights I had the Japanese menu and chose the western menu this time round as I had enough of Japanese food onboard ANA and on my last week in Japan. Furthermore, I am a big fan of Japanese style beef and steaks, so naturally I wanted to try how ANA does the western meal on the First Class.

Condiments for the inflight meal service

Caviar was served before the starter and it came with all the right accompaniments. Well it is not really First Class without caviar on the skies, I think. There was also a bread basket at the start of the service and I suggest asking for this bread platter when having the Japanese menu since bread is not provided for that course. One of the bread was a tea-flavoured bread which was possibly one of the most interesting and yet tasty bread I had!

Trio of bread

Caviar with traditional garnish

The starter I picked was the sea bream which was alright and it was a large portion. Throughout the meal course, I requested the Mapple Juice 'Chardonnay' to be served with the meal and it was a really nice sweet drink! This was basically a seasonal beverage on offer that was a non-alcoholic grape juice. But it had a very distinct taste and leaves a very nice after taste.

Marinated Ehime red sea bream with shougoin-daikon radish and coppa ham chiffonnade

Sampling beverages

A salad was served next and the stewardess got me all the 3 kinds of sauce to go along with it. It was nice of her to give me all 3 sauces. I liked the Japanese dressing most though all 3 salad sauce were outstanding even for the simplicity of the salad bowl.

Fresh garden salad served with parmesan tuile

I picked the beef cheek for the main course which I requested to be served with the special ale. I am not a big fan of the Kagua ale but the beef was succulent and tender. However because I was kind of bloated by all the food, I did not finish the beef cheek since I think it was too big of a portion.

Braised Miyazaki herb beef cheek in Belgian black beer flavored sauce

The meal service was quite slow as it took some time for the crew to clear the dishes and some guests were already turning in to sleep so they had to make the bed as well. The full load sure made them busy during this flight since the last 2 flights in First I had was quite light in terms of load.

Selection of fresh seasonal fruit

For dessert, I had the fruits platter and the fondant au chocolat. Both desserts were the highlight of the meal I think. This was actually the first time I finished my movie before the meal as I watched 'Paranoia'. I did not really remember the movie but it just goes to show how unremarkable it was!

Fondant au chocolat

Watching inflight entertainment while having a great meal are two sinful delights that one could have while flying and ANA’s inflight entertainment on the First class is average even if it is not the world’s best. They did have a lot of Japanese selections which was quite good especially with the beautiful screen resolution.

Inflight entertainment screen menu

After the meal service, the crew served petit fours and placed a bottle of mineral water by the side. There was also another hot towel service which seems to be the norm at the start and end of the meal. As I headed to the lavatory to change to the new pyjamas, I requested for the bed to be made. According to ANA, they did also have new bedding on the First Class and I did think it was slightly better even if the old one was as good. One thing I did not like though was the new pyjamas. I thought the older pair were more durable. Similarly I liked the older blankets supplied as I found them to be softer and lighter.

Turndown service with petit fours and mineral water

Got slightly more than 2 hour sleep before I was woken by heavy turbulence onboard and the captain had to calm passengers down stating the turbulence will not affect the safety of the aircraft. Returned to sleep and woke up 2 hours later as the crew prepared the cabin for pre-arrival service. I thought the cabin was quite cold the whole time or maybe I was just tired. When I woke up the second time around, it was already morning somewhere along the Pacific northwest as I got to see the first rays of sunlight across the horizon.

Sunrise over the Pacific Ocean

The crew member serving my aisle proceeded to ask me for my choice of drinks. Then I ordered the Ippudo ramen and the Pierre Herme croissant with a portion of the sea urchin. The sea urchin was too strong for my liking but I did enjoy the ramen and the croissant. For drinks I had more of the kabosu juice.

Chopsticks

Ippudo ramen

Pierre Hermé croissant

Prior to landing the crew reminded me to change to my clothes and she even reserved one of the lavatories for me but it was the smaller one and I decided to wait out for the larger lavatory with the foot rest on the floor.

Inflight service onboard ANA First Class

Flight path after my light breakfast

I was able to brush my teeth and change into my clothes before settling back to my seat and just enjoy the rest of the flight into San Francisco. It was a cloudy day today and not much of a view to be had from the windows. In fact it was slightly turbulent during the descent and it was quite a hard landing too if I must say.

First class seat on recline mode

ANA onboard magazines

Arrival at SF in the early hours was not too bad but it was busy with many tourists arriving before us and there was a long wait for immigration. I always found it fascinating how some Japanese passengers were attended to by the ground staff upon arrival. I do believe they are officials or VIPs with ANA, since not all first class passengers get the treatment. It took probably 40 minutes to clear immigration which was better compared to the last time I was in SF where I waited like 1 hour and above. There was a problem with the baggage conveyor for the previous flight but luckily not a problem for the ANA flight though it did affect the Air China flight. Compared to my arrival at LAX, I thought the wait for immigration at LAX was shorter and SFO is perhaps one of the worst airports to arrive in the United States from an international long haul flight.

Sunrise view off the coast of California

United Airlines Boeing 757 at SFO upon landing

ANA is perhaps one of the best flying experience one could have when flying on a Star Alliance flight between North America and Japan. The only other airline that offers a better service is potentially Singapore Airlines which flies between Tokyo and Los Angeles utilizing their A380s. While on the overall, the flight was a very good one with some upgraded amenities, the crew on this ANA flight did not manage to surpass my past experiences on their First class which I attribute to the somewhat full cabin.

The All Nippon Airways plane I arrived in

Last edited by quirrow; May 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Quirrow, thank you for yet another well-written and beautifully photographed report.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Amazing photos!
Old May 20, 2014, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great TR! I'm so conflicted about ANA new F. I put privacy near the top of my list of key ingredients of a good F offering and obviously ANA new F delivers on that front, but looking at your pictures it almost seems too clinical and too closed off especially compared to OZ F which was more spacious in the suite. I almost think I prefer the old F that I had on NRT - IAD.
Old May 24, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tomofmaine
Quirrow, thank you for yet another well-written and beautifully photographed report.
Glad that you enjoyed the report and photos tomofmaine!

Originally Posted by Madone59
Amazing photos!
Thanks Madone59!

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Great TR! I'm so conflicted about ANA new F. I put privacy near the top of my list of key ingredients of a good F offering and obviously ANA new F delivers on that front, but looking at your pictures it almost seems too clinical and too closed off especially compared to OZ F which was more spacious in the suite. I almost think I prefer the old F that I had on NRT - IAD.
The new NH F is indeed very private, and it is very similar to my experience in the ryokans where you get private rooms to dine in. So I believe the Japanese culture places a high emphasis on this privacy but seeing some of the older F, I think the seat are the same so comfort wise it should be similar but the new F would have larger better resolution screens. That being said, even though I would miss some of the views from the window, I think the new NH F is still an improvement.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:48 am

Great report & amazing photos. I enjoy reading it thoroughly, thanks so much for taking time sharing & writing, cheers!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:11 am
formerly gohima

Awesome photos and TR!

Originally Posted by quirrow
On the next morning, breakfast was once again served in the restaurant below the lobby and our group was assigned the same private room once again. The breakfast set was similar to the one I had in the Park Hyatt Tokyo with a tofu stew, some traditional fish cakes, pickles, rice and a plate of grilled fish. A bowl of salad was also served along with juices, milk, tea and coffee. Maybe I was jaded after having so much Japanese breakfast, but this was once again a tad ordinary and did not appear outstanding.

I lived in Japan for a year as an exchange student and I understand that sentiment about breakfast. It tends to be very similar regardless of where you are and not a whole lot of flavor besides being salty. A soup, broiled fish and rice is par for the course.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:30 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sheevac
Great report & amazing photos. I enjoy reading it thoroughly, thanks so much for taking time sharing & writing, cheers!
Nice to know that you enjoyed it sheevac!

Originally Posted by gohima
Awesome photos and TR!

I lived in Japan for a year as an exchange student and I understand that sentiment about breakfast. It tends to be very similar regardless of where you are and not a whole lot of flavor besides being salty. A soup, broiled fish and rice is par for the course.
Not complaining since most Japanese hotels have a very good hotel breakfast that can be quite filling. Another thing I have to mention is that some Japanese hotels have very good pastries for breakfast, the best one I had so far was in St Regis Osaka!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Gorgeous photos! I love the Pandan Chicken and honestly, I miss Nagano and Japan so much. SO. MUCH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.