$161 to Rarotonga.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$161 to Rarotonga.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold, Hyatt & Hilton Diamond.
$161 to Rarotonga.

Loads more pics on my blog guys! Fly with Dinh!

To be completely honest with you guys, before I booked these tickets to Rarotonga, Cook Islands I had no idea where it was located or what to expect of Rarotonga but that didn't stop me from booking. There was a points mistake fare going around so I instantly put life to a halt while I searched and booked the fares which were in Premium Economy.

Quite a confusing itinerary.

I initially wanted to do a same day turn around but the timing in between the flight would of been under an hour and I didn't want to risk it so a day was dedicated to the Cook Islands. While booking the flights, multiple time zones were included hence I had to triple check every single detail and date was correct.

The flight was a morning flight departing Sydney so a positioning flight would be needed from Melbourne which meant I had to decide if I wanted to catch a 6am flight from Melbourne then connect to the International terminal or fly up a day earlier and stay overnight in Sydney.

If you guys went with option two then you're correct! Heres the review of a fabulous night at the Sofitel Wentworth.

After I located the check in counters at the airport, we made our way towards the priority line which was manned by a very attentive male staff member as he checked passenger entitlement and directed us to proceed into the purple lanes towards the check in desk.

Manning that line.

It was a very efficient and quick check in as we handed our passports and in return received our boarding passes to Auckland as well as the Auckland to Rarotonga flights at the same time. There was speculations going around that it wasn't possible at the time but I was relived we received it for both flights. Wedged between boarding passes were express path passes which was a Godsend as the security lines were practically out the door.

Ready to rumble.

After clearing all required pitstops as well as the duty free complex we made our way towards the Koru lounge to relax and grab a bite to eat before the flight.

I would be lying if I said I had a long and peaceful sleep... I managed to shut eye for 4 hours as I tried to depress the excitement of the journey the previous night.

A shot of the lounge. It was busy but cosy.

It was 15 minutes before boarding so we decided to head towards the gate 60 which was total chaos as a Korean air flight as well as Emirates was boarding at the same time, we eventually found seats to rest as I watched the blank screens and questioned why there wasn't any flight info on the screen until there was a gate change which was eventually announced 8 minutes before scheduled boarding time in which passengers were directed towards gate 55.

I watched on as countless passengers collected their belongings and pushed their way towards gate 55. It was like watching the salmon run only better because push did come to shove. After the masses had died down we made our way to gates 55 to see everyone seated patiently waiting for boarding. There would be a 15 minute delay and passengers were reminded to sit and wait while the gate agents prepared the purple signage and lanes for boarding.

Relax, the flight is 15 minutes delayed.

One of the many Boeing 737-800's in Virgin Australia's new livery.

Before the gate agent could announce the standard "Ladies and Gentlemen, Virgin Australia would like to invite" there was already a queue forming up in the general boarding lane which twined around the corner and out the door. It was times like this that I was glad my status allowed to to jump the queue as I strolled down the purple lane with glances of frustration from other passengers.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:05 am

Interesting so far, please continue.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Looking forward to the rest of this. How come you waited so long to do this TR?

If they offered J on these routes instead of Y+ I would have jumped - unfortunately VA's Y+ offers those with status almost nothing over Y.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:07 am

I'd like to hear more about the mechanics of the error...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
Interesting so far, please continue.
Thanks Camsean, hope you enjoy the second part of the trip!

Originally Posted by smit0847
Looking forward to the rest of this. How come you waited so long to do this TR?

If they offered J on these routes instead of Y+ I would have jumped - unfortunately VA's Y+ offers those with status almost nothing over Y.
Smit0847 thank you, I didn’t intend to write this trip report until the recent Air NZ safety video which reminded me of the happy times in Rarotonga hence why the trip report now!

It would be great if VA offered J on the trans tasman routes but I was happy with what we got!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, heres the second part of the trip! Theres plenty more pics on my blog Fly with Dinh!

As I entered the aircraft I was quickly greeted by the cabin supervisor Joanne as she directed me to my seat today which would be 2C, Im usually up for bulkhead seats but I do love the legroom and to be able to stretch my legs below row 1. A thing to note is thatVirgin Australia only offers premium economy on the 737 fleet across the ditch which is made up of 3 seats - with the middle seat used as a tray table.

On the tray table was immigration forms as well as headphones awaiting guests.

Dig - e player

As we settled into the intimate seats for the next 4 hours Joanne approached and asked if I would like a dig - e player for the flight in which I said yes as it's been quite some time since I've used one of these.

The content on the device wasn't eye catching or interesting with a limited selection of movies and shows that didn't appeal to me as sleep did at the moment but before I could sleep my tummy was rumbling as the hunger hit like unexpected turbulence would occur throughout a flight.

Premium economy guests were able to select anything we wanted from the buy on board menu and the substantial items included a Luke Mangan Chunky beef pie or a chicken sandwich. The aroma of the beef pie was already floating around the cabin so I decided to go with that option.

The pie was served on a ceramic plate with a dollop of tomato salsa. The pie was edible with large chunks of beef instead of the usual mince which was piping hot. The smell drifting around the cabin caused tummy's to rumble which saw the crew selling hot pies at capacity.

As Joanne came back to clear the empty plates I asked for a gin and tonic which was delivered promptly afterwards with a warm smile.

Pillow packs and blankets are offered to Premium guests.

The pillow and blanket is standard and decent enough to provide comfort for a 4 hour flight across the ditch as I tried to factor in some sleep which came in doses of 30 - 45 minutes as slight bumps caused by minor turbulence woke me up.

In row four there was a couple trying to rest but to be honest with you guys there isn't much comfort even if you're spread out over three economy seats in a 737. The row opposite me had extra pillow packs so I decided to offer a pack to them which was accepted with plenty of thank you's as it would at least give them a slightly better chance of resting.

Joanne came around the cabin for a round of water top ups and made some conversation and asked where our final destination would be which I happily told her with excitement that it would be the Cook Islands. Joanne then asked if we were going there to be part of a cooking show with the celebrity chef's in row four as I glanced back and tried to figure out who they were.

The captain gave the call for the crew to prepare the cabin for descent and Joanne immediately sprung up into cleaning mode. While we were descending into middle earth I realised there was a possibility that we wouldn't we allowed into the Koru Lounge as VA T&C's stated flights to pacific islands didn't have lounge access.

Middle earth looking very beautiful.

My final thought would be to wing it and try to enter the lounge as the tyres touched down on the runway. We arrived at our gate and there was a five minute delay as the aerobridge was playing up. In the meantime the row four couple were behind us and thanked us again for the pillow pack and as we chatted slightly I asked them where their final destination would be which turned out to be Rarotonga!

The sound "cha ching" immediately went though my mind at the time and the couple asked if we needed guesting into the lounge which I happily accepted.

As we stepped of the plane Joanne wished us a happy journey as we followed celebrity chef's towards the lounge.

As we made our way up the elevator into the lounge both celebrity chef's flashed their Air point's Elite card and said they wanted to guest us in which was happily accepted by the lounge angel by the boarding pass scanner to which a green light gave us the okay to proceed.

It turns out the system wasn't enhanced at the time and allowed entry for VA flights which was adjusted later on.

Comfy hammocks featured in the lounge.

We thanked celebrity chef's as we made our way to a corner in the lounge to relax and grab something to eat.

Fruit, soup and a orange juice.

The was still an hour until boarding and being restless didn't help so I decided to go freshen up and feel human by taking a very needed shower. I loved the blue lights and decor of the shower cubicles which was empty at the time of the day.

The was still an hour until boarding and being restless didn't help so I decided to go freshen up and feel human by taking a very needed shower. I loved the blue lights and decor of the shower cubicles which was empty at the time of the day.

The shower cubicles were kept extremely clean with plenty of towel and toiletry packs.

The view of a 777 as we left the lounge.

After my lovely shower we decided to head down towards the gate 10 minutes earlier as the gate 15 was quite a long walk from the lounge which was a workout in itself. The sky outside was beautiful as the sun slowly disappeared.

As we arrived at gate 15 boarding procedures just started to commence as we made our way towards the priority lane which already had a little queue as well as our celebrity friends in line - at this point I still didn't know who they were but celebrity or not they still gestured to us.

We handed our boarding passes to the gate agent and made our way towards the aircraft which we were greeted by Ratt. Welcome back Mr Le, your seat in the first row towards your left as we made our way to our seats. Our celebrity friends were again in row four and I passed them one of the blanket kits as they settled in their seats.

On the seats were immigration cards into the Cook Islands, headphones as well as a bottle of water on the middle seat.

Cabin crew, prepare cabin and cross check. One of the sentences I've heard over a million times which I now automatically repeat whenever I'm sitting on board. It also brings a grin to the FA's face as they catch me mouthing it in my seat, one of the many joys of being a frequent flyer.

It was a short taxi to the runway before the captain got us barrelling down the runway as we made our way towards the middle of the south pacific ocean.

At cruising altitude I saw row two was empty so I decided to spread out, get comfy and convert the seat's into a makeshift bed which was bearable for the medium trip of 4 hours.

Ratt suggested leaning up against the window and putting my feet up so I can be in a better position to rest.

The menu on board was exactly the same as the flight we took over to Auckland which didn't really appeal to me at all. The FA's did a very quick trolley run and as they finished the cabin lights were dimmed as the sky outside turned into a dark purple then proceeded to a pitch black surround with flashes of the navigation lights catching my attention through out the flight.

There were slight jolts of minor turbulence throughout the flight which I have to admit causes a little rush of adrenalin in my body, its not a flight without some turbulence. I managed to catch up on some sleep and frightened myself as my eyes opened to see one of the female FA's standing in front of my seat row in a dim lit cabin, holding a light up stack of plastic cups with a torch in her hand which caused my heart to stop as she giggled and asked if I wanted some water.

It was after that water run that the captain announced he was about to start decent which bought butterflies to my tummy as i gazed out the window into pitch darkness trying to spot land. Five minutes passed... 10 minutes passed until finally after 15 minutes A little patch of lights started to emerge in the darkness which started to grow bigger and bigger as the 737 got closer to land.

With a soft landing we hit the runway as the engine sounds silenced the cabin as the 737's speed started slowing down on the dark runway.

Kia Orana and welcome to Rarotonga, please be seated with your seat belts on until we arrive at the gate was repeated twice as the plane came to a stop and with the ever familiar "ding' the cabin sprung into life as one of the female FA's made her way to the end row of the premium cabin to block off economy guests.

After 14 hours of flying and being in transit, we were finally in Rarotonga as we stepped off the plane and was greeted by the warm humidity which was exactly like being punched in the face as you're leaving the air conditioned cabin and stepping off and proceeding down the stairs towards the terminal.

Once inside the mini terminal we proceeded towards Immigration and handed our passports and immigration forms as she glanced though and commented that a day wouldn't be enough in Rarotonga as she stamped us in.

The next stage of the terminal was a luggage belt which passed as we made our way to the final stop which was the customs green lane which was patrolled by lovely ladies in floral dresses.

Customs: Kia Orana, Anything to declare Sir?
Me: No, nothing.
Customs: Have a lovely trip! Smiles and waves goodbye.

If only all customs were that easy right!?!

As we stepped outside into Rarotonga we were greeted by very laid back transfer personnel who had a sign with our name on a board from the Edgewater hotel who then proceeded to lei us with fresh and aromatic flowers as he took us to our car.

Fly with Dinh!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:21 am

So how was Raratonga.

I would like to go.

Any pictures?

thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
nice tr so far. The "chunky beef pie" cracks me up. Sounds so unappetizing
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Hope there's more, I haven't been to RAR in a few decades!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
So how was Raratonga.

I would like to go.

Any pictures?

thanks.
Rarotonga was absolutely fabulous Bretteee, One of the trips I’ve indented and can still remember like it was yesterday!

Originally Posted by UTex09
nice tr so far. The "chunky beef pie" cracks me up. Sounds so unappetizing
thanks UTex09, the pie itself was actually pretty tasty to speak although the look and presentation wasn’t that pleasing to the eye!

Originally Posted by ok2uselane
Hope there's more, I haven't been to RAR in a few decades!
Heres the final dose of the trip! I hope to go back in the near future and maybe our paths might cross on that island!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:18 am
Original Poster

The final part of the amazing adventure guys! Theres plenty more pictures of the luscious beach and scenery on the blog! Fly with Dinh!

The journey back to the hotel was an unique experience as exited the terminal walked towards our car, the airport was dead silent as the sounds of the gentle waves could be heard in the distance as we walked in the dimly lit airport towards our air conditioned Toyota corolla. As we put our bags into the boot we yet again crossed paths with Celebrity chef's and smiles were around as we thanked each other back and fourth and I finally decided to draw the line and hugged them before we hoped into the car.

The drive back towards the hotel was on par with sitting in a roller coaster going down a barely lit road until a sharp right turn which saw us in the open aired lobby. We made our way towards the check in desk to which we were greeted by Shane in a very bright blue flowered moo moo which sparked up the thought of Homer Simpson in my mind and caused me to chuckle.

Good news for you Mr Le...... (sounds of crickets in the background as well as waves) you've been septupled upgraded to our VIP Deluxe suite.
Excuse me?????? Say what????
Your Garden room is no more, it's now the VIP Deluxe suite, right by the water.

The exact look I had on my face at that moment would be best described as the Cheshire cat and it's grin from Alice in wonderland. I thanked Shane as he handed us the keys and directed us to our room.

I inquired about WIFI which was available at a price of $20NZD for 500MB. It was a price to pay to be connected as theres limited signal available on the island. My best advice would be to switch all electronics off and enjoy the time there.... although you'll need a device to snap up all the pretty and beautiful scenery there!

As we walked to our room, I looked up towards the sky and it was filled with thousands of bright glistening stars, the most star's I've seen in my life before I walked into a scooter which bought be back to reality.

We climbed a flight of stairs before reaching our room which had a simple layout. Amenities included sun block, bug repellent, crockery and cutlery as well as coffee and tea making utensils.

The room and it's Polynesian decor.

The bathroom with spa bath towards the left and shower cubicle as seen in the mirror.

The first thing I did was head out towards the balcony for some air although I returned inside the room as I was slightly creeped out as it was pitch black outside. It was roughly 1AM when my body started to disfunction and sleep started to take over so off to bed it was.

The view from our space, the sun was slowly starting to rise.

As my eyes opened, I was confused and asked where I was, I dreamt that we went to Rarotonga and the best part about waking up was that we were in Rarotonga. I checked to see what time it was and to my surprise it was only 6:45AM yet I was extremely hungry so a quick shower to waken up the body then it was time to head out to the balcony.

You've all got to go to Rarotonga, I wish I woke up to this every single day!

The island is surrounded by a lagoon, from where the sand meets the water towards roughly where the rock is in the water.

We were the only Asian's on the island.

While we headed towards The Brasserie for breakfast we were side tracked countless of times due to the beautiful sights of the resort.

So lush, so green, so Edgewater in Rarotonga.

The Brasserie offered a very simple selection of breakfast items from very fresh fruit to toast, cereal and muffins. Guest's had the choice to sit inside near the food or venture outside and sit under a outdoor Are (which is a hut) which is a traditional styled thatched roof with an amazing view of the morning scenery.

Look at that beautiful turquoise water.

Simple breakfast of toast and island fruit as we welcomed the rising sun.

The pool by the beach.

We decided to hire a scooter for a day as Polynesian rental bikes was conveniently located opposite the check in lobby. A day licence was required to which they issued a receipt docket after sighting my Australian drivers licence which was speedy and very efficient and didn't require us to head to the local police station.

Cheap bike rentals, the most convenient way to check out the island.

A quick lap of the car park was required Before they guys at Polynesian handed us the bike just to see the level of competency one has with a bike.

Test passed. Its time to ride.

Riding around the airport grounds.

A side of the terminal.

Captain Tama's lagoon cruises at Muri Beach.

Clear water perfect for swimming.

We decided to wrap up our time at Captain Tama's and Muri beach and headed down the road to one of the best snorkelling spots on the island which is know by Fruits of Rarotonga by Tikioki Beach . This spot is rated the best spot as it had countless varieties of fish floating around who pounce when you throw fish food (bread crumbs) at them which was purchased for $2.

Fruits of Rarotonga do great burgers, fish and chips as well as delicious smoothies which are very light on the pocket for a snack pre or post snorkelling! The owner is a darling and before you know it we spent a good 45 minutes chatting while hiring snorkel gear from them which was $5 dollars. The currency on Rarotonga is either Cook Island Dollars which is only valid on the island or New Zealand Dollars which is issued via the ATMs.

Keep an eye out for this sign.

The cute setup found at Fruits of Rarotonga.

After our chat and smoothies we walked across the road to the quiet beach where a couple of stray dogs were sun baking which caused their tails to wag as they excitedly ran towards us and before you ask, the only thing these dogs could do was lick you to death.

Lazy days for these .....es.

Be sure to bring your sun block as we forgot ours and sitting on a plane for 5 hours wasn't a fun experience although it was a great tan!

After spending nearly 3 hours sun baking, snorkelling and playing with the fishes we were starving so it was off to Trader jacks bar and grill for a seafood platter and a cocktail to freshen up which is located right on Avarua harbour.

Delicious seafood platter at Trader Jacks.

After a delicious meal, after a struggle and fight we overcame food coma and walked around the shops along the harbour and Avarua central to purchase some souvenirs as well as a cone and 3 scoops of ice cream which came to $3 Raro dollars! The was a smell of earth began to rise as the rain started pouring down, we ran towards our scooter and zipped away towards our hotel. The quote "the grass is always greener on the other side" does apply to this island because I noticed when we were driving the rain stopped and we were in sunshine until we looked back and saw half of the island was still welcoming the rain.

We arrived back at the hotel and dedicated the time pack, relax and swim in the water by the hotel and wait for the sunset.

Beautiful at every time of the day.

The sun started to set.

As the sun started to set so did my heart, our time in Rarotonga was coming to an end.

After the sun was gone we decided to have dinner back at the Brasserie which was where we had breakfast. The menu had a wide variety of choices and why not end the night with a couple of tropical cocktails.

A island fruit punch and pina colada.

Eye fillet with creamy mushroom sauce and chips.

After our meal at the Brasserie we headed back to our room to do a final check and a final ride around the island. The ride was thrilling as the only lights were from our headlights as we drove and navigated around in darkness. We took some time to sit and watch the stars above and reflect on life as it was a indescribable and magical feeling being under all those stars, it was like finding inner peace with yourself which brought countless of smiles to my face underneath the blanker of glimmering stars.

We hopped back onto the scooter and continued our journey as we got pulled over by police for a random breathalyser test which went along the lines of

Police: Kia Orana and welcome, have you guys had anything to drink?
Me: Hey guys, no, nothing to drink.
Police: Smiles, Okay, have a good night and be safe.

How good is this island, it was such a shame that 48 hours on Rarotonga was ending so quickly. We rode back to the hotel to relax and wait for our driver to pick us up. The fantastic thing about Edgewater was we were able to keep our room until the driver arrived which was 21:30.

As we walked towards our car, I dropped off the keys for the scooter rental in the mail box before glimpsing up towards the stars. Mixed feelings started to take over as I didn't want to leave although I wanted to go home. The journey to the airport was a silent and sad one as I bid farewell to Rarotonga.

It was a quiet and short journey to the airport as I bid farewell and quietly thanked Rarotonga as well as Virgin Australia for such a blessed and relaxed weekend. Check in was uneventful as we made it in time to relax in the Koru Lounge for 45 minutes before it shut. The lounge was very compact that offered views of the tarmac. Closing procedures began so we relocated to the terminal outside.

The arriving flight was 30 minutes late as we headed towards the gate and found some chairs to spread our stuff over and relax, I was restless so a browse around the 4 open shops in the terminal was enough to keep me sane in the terminal. There was a streak of bright lights as our aircraft descended onto the runway and taxied to a remote bay near the gate. On the flight were two of my Frequent Flyer friends who decided to do the same day turnaround which puzzled airport officials as both of them got their passports confiscated so immigration officials could work out what was going on.

We boarded the plane which was in its red livery and took our seats in row two as other passengers began to board. The cabin was in silence and very warm as crew were preparing for take off. My friends shortly boarded the flight after us and before we knew it the call for arm doors and cross check was sounding overhead. Outside the window, the airport terminal was getting further as we taxied towards the end of the runway and as the little 737 turned onto the runway the engines fired up as we gushed down the runway and departed Rarotonga soil. My head was fixed towards the window watching as the island started to get smaller and smaller. Good bye and thanks Rarotonga for an amazing time.

The OMG o'clock flight to Auckland was a smooth flight in which I declined any services so I could squeeze in sleep. With familiar rattles and slight bumps I was awoken to the smell of breakfast floating around the cabin.

A hot breakfast of egg and capsicum fritatta, chicken sausages and seasonal fruit.

Once the meal trays were cleared I managed to squeeze in some more sleep on the makeshift bed until we had been given clearance for descent into Auckland. Strong tailwinds pushed our flight towards middle earth a whopping 55 minutes early which meant one thing, the airport and transfer facilities and lounge didn't open until 4:30AM, that was our original landing time.

By the time our plane arrived at the gate it was 3:45AM, we had 45 minutes to kill so we slowly de boarded the plane and made our way to the transfer gate which was still closed, Bright neon lights and traditional New Zealand statues and patterns caught my attention.

The transfer gates opened around 15 minutes later to which there was a gush of sleep deprived people began to queue and clear the security check point. We made our way back towards the Koru lounge and I instantly made my way towards the hammock as I posted earlier to grab some sleep, What a whirlwind and jam packed weekend and adventure, which forever indented Rarotonga into my heart. Rarotonga is truly a amazing and magical place filled with ever so beautiful people who would smile and wave as you drive past.

Tired as ever.

The final picture which offers an amazing views of Muri beach.

Thanks for reading guys!
Fly with Dinh

Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
really nice TR! you've convinced me to spring for a trip down there eventually. it was always on my list but now it's closer to the top. thanks for sharing!!!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:45 pm

thanks for the pictures.

You did not go to Aitatuki? Excuse my spelling.

Apparently it's gorgeous.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
really nice TR! you've convinced me to spring for a trip down there eventually. it was always on my list but now it's closer to the top. thanks for sharing!!!
Thank you for reading! Yes, move Rarotonga towards the top of that list because it's an amazing place to visit and you'll fall in love with the island and culture! If you're a fan of snorkelling and diving then look no further!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
thanks for the pictures.

You did not go to Aitatuki? Excuse my spelling.

Apparently it's gorgeous.
I would of loved to go to Aitutaki but because of the limited time we had it wasn't an option to visit! I'm saving Aitutaki for next time when the trip would be roughly 5 - 6 days!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:40 pm

I had never ever heard of Rarotonga, but it sure looks nice1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.