Reload this Page >

Paris for Valentine's Day via Lufthansa First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris for Valentine's Day via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Junkie / Hyatt Diamond (fine, Globalist)
Great report SFO777! I recently wrote my first trip report and I looked to your great collection for inspiration. Keep it up!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
You spoil us with your superb report as usual, SFO777!

I'm not yet at the point of flying international F regularly, but I did fly LH J (new) on the 747-8 HKG-FRA and then on the a380 (old) FRA-IAH last month. It was my first time in J on LH, and I have to say that the food was consistently disappointing. Some of it--particularly the starter on the FRA-IAH segment--was downright inedible. That said, I am dying to try their new F product and am hoarding miles to hopefully be able to do so sometime next year. Thanks for whetting my appetite (no pun intended)!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:55 pm

SFO777, your trip reports are incredible, and are very inspirational. It is taking me weeks to find the time to write my trip report, and meanwhile you bust yours out as it's happening (or at least it seems that way). Can't wait to read more.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
The detail of this trip report is saving my 200,000 miles seeing as I don't think I need to experience it anymore. Nice freakin job!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks Francis. Me too about the De-friggin-troit report. I'd never seen the LH Lounge there so it would have nice... but not enough to endure a three United Express flight.
You aren't missing much. I have taken LH F out of DTW several times. Lounge is small, so packed until departure. Last time, the only seat left was to share a small table with another passenger. No blocked off area for FC.

Definitely choose the early boarding option out of DTW.

Always glad to see another trip report from you.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Here we go again! Another view of what I have to look forward to in the spring! Paris is simply one of the best cities in the world. I love it there. I saw you are doing Robuchon, I've read mixed reviews, do let us know what you think. Have you tried any of the Christian Constant places? We have tried the 3 that are next to each other, but we really enjoyed Le Cocottes the most. Where else did you hit up?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:40 pm

Great TR as usual, SFO777. Can't wait to read the rest.
My wife and I visited Paris for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. The only downside was our stay at the Westin, hopefully your time there will be better than ours.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA1K
I was in LH F two weeks ago from DFW-FRA and went with the Braised Lamb Shank. The other choices, including the stew, were unappealing. The lamb shank was fabulous. Cooked perfectly where the meat came right off the bone without the need for a knife. The braising sauce was divine. On the return to ORD on the 748, I went with the venison because it's not something I eat that often; I wasn't sure if I had selected wisely. Surprisingly, it was very tender, flavorful, and rather smallish, but really perfect in size after having all the courses leading up to the main including the amuse bouche, caviar, three appetizers, salad, soup, and breads.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The Westin Paris Vendôme
75001 Paris

The Westin was not my first choice, but some of the nice boutique hotels in the 6th and 8th had suites that were either unavailable or ridiculously priced. With a new batch of 10 SPG Suite Night Awards and The Westin at only 232€ with lots of suite avails, it seemed like a much better deal than 1,500€ across the street at Le Meurice. Even Mrs. SFO agreed, shrewdly figuring that some of the money saved on the hotel might be applied to shopping.

Obviously not in the same league as Le Meurice or FS Georges V, it is comfortable, has a pleasant bar and great location across from the Jardin des Tuileries and two blocks from Place Vendôme and Place de la Concorde. Our Junior Suite was more than adequate for a short stay.

We had set aside the first afternoon for "shopping" or as I figured it... "let's get it out the way". Since it was a short flight with not much sleep, we decided to take our power nap before heading out. In fact, Mrs. SFO was so tired that she amazingly asked "Do we have to go shopping today?"
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unfortunately, two hours later she was rested and ready to go.
On a positive note, the sun had come out and the temps had risen to +9.

And a few minutes later, it was on. LOL, nice try dear but not today.

After a brief stop of 31 rue Cambon where I escaped with only buying perfume, we grabbed a taxi and headed up the Champs Elysees for some serious hand bag shopping.

To the world's largest LV store.

After a successful and cheaper than expected visit, we strolled back down the Champs Elysees for a while and then took a taxi back to the hotel.

Pretty pricey retail space for any airline, let alone one with a limited route map. Maybe someday.

A little after 7PM, we headed out to the 6th and Ze Kitchen Gallerie, a wonderful Michelin one star French/Thai fusion restaurant we'd visited 5 years ago during our month in St-Germain.

As we were seated, we noticed a TV crew from M6 in the kitchen doing a story. Since we were one of the first couples seated, the reporter came over and asked if we would mind them taping our various courses and asking our opinion. When one of the nearby waitstaff interrupted him and told him "Ils sont anglais", I boldly replied "oui, mais je parle francais". And so we became French TV stars tonight, at least on tape and until we were apparently fired after the first course... guess they wanted some French customers instead of an English-only American and a faux French Quebecois-American.

We both opted for the 6 course degustation menu, with selections at the whim of the chef. Four of the 6 courses were out of this world amazing. But first, the most important part of any meal.

Wonderful amuse bouche.

And the most amazing marinated trout.

And incredible seafood broth.

And pasta with truffles that was divine.

The sea bream good but probably a little underdone for some including Mrs. SFO.

And the final main... pigeon. Ugh. I guess some like it. The foie gras was excellent.

The double dessert finale was amazing.

After I dropped Mrs. SFO back at the hotel, I walked up to Place de la Concorde for some night pics, just in time for the top of the hour light show.

Too noisy for the neighbors? OK, we'll just move along. Great idea.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 19, 2014 at 6:12 am
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
And so we became French TV stars tonight, at least on tape and until we were apparently fired after the first course... guess they wanted some French customers instead of an English-only American and a faux French Quebecois-American.
Little do they know how many view counts your trip reports get. They'd have an instant viewership right there.

How does Mrs. SFO pack her hat? I'd think that such hats would get crushed if packed in a carry-on? Or did Mauro kindly take her overcoat and hat away for safekeeping?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
WHAT? You took a pass on the caviar? I almost cried when I read that. Thanks for another wonderful TR SFO777.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
^
Indeed!
Seeing your LF new first pics it makes me wonder why one would fly private.. that looks spectacular..
Thank you cyclogenesis.

Originally Posted by GmK
SFO777 - it's been very nice to meet you and see "the legend in action" ;-) It's fun to see the same flight I experienced from the perspective of somebody else.
Mauro is actually one of the main FA trainers for LH, and like you wrote: It showed. He doesn't get the chance to do flights often these days, but jolly, he beat some of the regular flying FA's by a mile.
I did warn you about the main courses, but even I am quite shocked to see the "stew". I picked the Cod, and I don't know what the cook was drinking, but it was bathed in a thick, yucky vanilla (!) sauce:

You should try the Italian "Luce delle Vite" wine on the trip back, it retails for above 80€ which is a very unusual price hike for a LH winelist - and it's a wonderful wine at that as well in my opinion.
Enjoy your time in Paris and a good journey home!
P.S.: Had to fly BA Intra-Europe C today, and you might dislike the LH Euro-C, but just fly BA once to compare, you'll love LH again. Oh wait...you won't fly BA anymore anyhow ;-)
GmK, thanks very much. It was a pleasure meeting you both in the UA GFL and on board. You did indeed warn me about the mains. Will definitely not have the cod on the way home. And will certainly try the Luce delle Vite. Hope to visit Hamburg soon! Thank you!

Originally Posted by boss315
I use an herbal supplement called NO JET LAG, available through Amazon, Travelsmith, etc. My wife calls it voodoo medicine but I have found that it virtually eliminates jet lag for me..also, staying out in the daylight when I arrive seems to help a lot. I do a lot of 2/3 turnarounds to Europe and have used this for the past four years!
Thanks for the tip boss315. Will have to give it a try.

Originally Posted by Joely
Not flying BA this time round eh?
Funny guy. No way.

Originally Posted by mmff
+1
Great TR so far!
Thanks mmff.

Originally Posted by hamburglar
The seat and bed never gets old. Perhaps the classiest ride there is (besides private)
It is our favorite ride! ^

Originally Posted by dat4life
Just when I was thinking I haven't seen a new one from SFO777 in awhile. Well timed, sir.
I was at that very same spot last weekend. I agree Paris in February is fantastic, minus the wind of course.
Thanks dat4life. And wind? What wind? Only gusting to 20mph today. Another bottle of wine makes you forget about the wind.

Originally Posted by chewylouie
hopefully you can help since you just flew.. my wife and I are going in July 777-200 Global 1st,,, My question is whats better seats for a COUPLE to talk ?? the 2 middle seats or a window and a isle??? Thanks for you're help and answers....
Gosh, I have no idea. Hopefully, you'll be able to change to LH a few weeks before your flight.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Nonstop? What is this work, I am not familiar.
Not really nonstop of course, since we are in Paris. But one stop to Denver is the best we can do. Now I can only hope for an equipment swap from Old to New First.

Originally Posted by msiamsia
Looking at just pictures are nice enough, your report rocks! Expecting more to read!!!
Thanks so much msiamsia.

Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand
Great report SFO777! I recently wrote my first trip report and I looked to your great collection for inspiration. Keep it up!
Originally Posted by zcat18
You spoil us with your superb report as usual, SFO777!
I'm not yet at the point of flying international F regularly, but I did fly LH J (new) on the 747-8 HKG-FRA and then on the a380 (old) FRA-IAH last month. It was my first time in J on LH, and I have to say that the food was consistently disappointing. Some of it--particularly the starter on the FRA-IAH segment--was downright inedible. That said, I am dying to try their new F product and am hoarding miles to hopefully be able to do so sometime next year. Thanks for whetting my appetite (no pun intended)!
Thank you zcat18. Yeah, even in F, LH serves some bizarre things.

Originally Posted by trev555555
SFO777, your trip reports are incredible, and are very inspirational. It is taking me weeks to find the time to write my trip report, and meanwhile you bust yours out as it's happening (or at least it seems that way). Can't wait to read more.
Thank so much trev55555 for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by PDXUA
The detail of this trip report is saving my 200,000 miles seeing as I don't think I need to experience it anymore. Nice freakin job!
LOL. Thanks PDXUA.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You aren't missing much. I have taken LH F out of DTW several times. Lounge is small, so packed until departure. Last time, the only seat left was to share a small table with another passenger. No blocked off area for FC.
Definitely choose the early boarding option out of DTW.
Always glad to see another trip report from you.
Thank you goodeats21 and for the DTW info. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Here we go again! Another view of what I have to look forward to in the spring! Paris is simply one of the best cities in the world. I love it there. I saw you are doing Robuchon, I've read mixed reviews, do let us know what you think. Have you tried any of the Christian Constant places? We have tried the 3 that are next to each other, but we really enjoyed Le Cocottes the most. Where else did you hit up?
Thank you Digital01. We had eaten at Robuchon before but didn't last night. Seems someone at JR lied about walk-ins on Valentine's Day.

Originally Posted by Travlur
Great TR as usual, SFO777. Can't wait to read the rest.
My wife and I visited Paris for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. The only downside was our stay at the Westin, hopefully your time there will be better than ours.
Thanks Travlur. So far so good at The Westin. As long as you don't have great expectations, you should be fine. Hard to beat the location.

Originally Posted by rodjune
I was in LH F two weeks ago from DFW-FRA and went with the Braised Lamb Shank. The other choices, including the stew, were unappealing. The lamb shank was fabulous. Cooked perfectly where the meat came right off the bone without the need for a knife. The braising sauce was divine. On the return to ORD on the 748, I went with the venison because it's not something I eat that often; I wasn't sure if I had selected wisely. Surprisingly, it was very tender, flavorful, and rather smallish, but really perfect in size after having all the courses leading up to the main including the amuse bouche, caviar, three appetizers, salad, soup, and breads.
rodjune, thanks for the note of the lamb shank. Will definitely go with that if on the westbound menu,

Originally Posted by freecia
Little do they know how many view counts your trip reports get. They'd have an instant viewership right there.
How does Mrs. SFO pack her hat? I'd think that such hats would get crushed if packed in a carry-on? Or did Mauro kindly take her overcoat and hat away for safekeeping?
Ha. Mrs. SFO always wears her hats and just puts them in the overhead. Although she carried a summer hat to EZE, believe it or not in a classless Walmart plastic shopping bag. She didn't even realize it until I pointed it out.

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
WHAT? You took a pass on the caviar? I almost cried when I read that. Thanks for another wonderful TR SFO777.
Not that you put it that way, I am a little embarrassed about it.
Thanks TheAAdmiral!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I had not seen photos of the 747-400 new F until this trip report. Unquestionably, the experience has to be better that the 747-8 F cabin which is cramp, and doesn't have the separate bed.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Lufthansa FC Terminal

Curious as to how you got access to the FC Terminal.

I have flown LH First several times (SFO-FRA), but only granted access to the FC terminal on a DEPARTING LH First flight (FRA-JNB, for example).

Is there a new policy that arriving in first, but departing in business now grants you access?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.