Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

BA A380 to HKG in PE/Y, IB Y/BA CE, Cheung Chau, MAD IB/CX Lounges and.... an FT Do!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA A380 to HKG in PE/Y, IB Y/BA CE, Cheung Chau, MAD IB/CX Lounges and.... an FT Do!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Another Trip to Hong Kong!

Well the travel bug had bitten me again and with the end of my membership year approaching I needed to attain 70 Tier Points to reach BA Silver (OW Sapphire). I originally was going to fly out to a European destination and looked at Bordeaux (France) for an overnighter but I then saw that the Flyertalk Do (mainly BA flyers) was taking place in Hong Kong so I thought …what the heck!

I doodled around on b.com for ages and the saw a good price for WTP both ways for £686 and I thought that’s the very flight for me. However, due to work reasons by the time I got the leave approved (a day later than I needed) the inbound flight had went to a full fare in Premium Economy so it was economy back for me. My gut instinct was to just book it as I knew the leave would be granted but I didn’t want to take the miniscule risk it wouldn’t be. Hmm!

One should always follow your gut instinct in life and I should have known better. Saying that travelling down the back gives a much finer appreciation of when I do get into the Premium cabins so the next trip will definitely be in J or above or I am not going! (To wherever it may be!)

I was in an exit row though on the UD of the A380 which turned out to be very comfortable despite it being an overnight flight and I had a nice seat mate which made a little difference. In fact it made a big difference as he had an interest in photography and he was from Perthshire in Scotland which is only about an hour’s drive from where I live so there were many commonalities there. It certainly made the first 3 to 4 hour go very quick. More about that later.

I had been there in February for a week and it was warmish for that time of the year with the temperature hovering about the 20 degree Celsius mark which I believe was unusual.

This time it was much warmer although on my last day it was a little breezy.
All in all a wonderful trip and my report will include Madrid Airport and the Iberia Lounge in T4S from where BA departs, Cheung Chau in Hong Kong which is lovely little quaint place about 45 minutes by ferry from the Kowloon/Hong Kong Island, The Regal Kowloon, The Grand Hyatt, The Flyertalk Do and of course my experiences of the BA A380.

So the flights were booked now and I had to then decide on a Hotel. I am such a ditherer when looking for somewhere and I go into probably far too much detail but overall I think this can pay dividends. I am lucky and had the time to do this and after a few days looking I booked a night at the Regal Kowloon in Hong Kong for a night followed by 4 nights in the Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong Island which was a beautiful Hotel except for a squeaky crane outside which went on until about 10 p.m. each night. Grrrr!

So now off to Madrid and I booked a Reward Saver Flight with BA from EDI-LHR-MAD and I stayed overnight in the Jury’s Inn at London Heathrow as my flight to Madrid was very early the next morning. At 0620 hours to be precise! Then it was straight back to London and off to Hong Kong. I knew this would be a very long way for a shortcut but this was the only way I could do it in my budget as starting from an ex European country other than the UK can make considerable savings especially in J. Italy, Turkey and Belgium seem to have more regular fares and that includes even when there is no ‘official’ sale on.

The thing with doing an ‘ex EU’ flight is that you MUST start at your first airport. I have read a few folks ‘missing’ the last part which I think BA overlooks but if you make a habit of it then I think it would be fair to say you stand the risk of having your account scrutinised. I believe AA are very strict on this and anyone who misses a last connection gets no miles and TP’s, I think.

Anyhow Pete is blabbing on and on again so here are my first photos (344 in all) and starts from the morning flight out to Madrid.

Now the experience at Madrid was a little confusing for me having never been there before.

There are two terminals here, T4 and T4S. My outbound flight to there from LHR was on BA (landing at T4S) but my return to LHR to start my HKG outbound was on IB. I saw the flight on the departure board and it said it was leaving from the S gates (where I was) Anyhow at about the 60 minute mark the flight disappeared and I said eh??!!

I went to the IB Customer Service desk and she said I would have to leave immediately for the other terminal via the little train that goes there ( a bit like the T5 set up) “You must hurry” she said! I told her that a few minutes ago that the flight was showing as leaving from this terminal and she said she would then check with her manager. I was right; it was leaving from Gate S 48 so I made my way there. The Gate was deserted apart from me and then eventually there were about 7 of us.

Mmm, this is all a bit odd then an IB guy turned up, sat down and started playing with his phone. I asked him regarding my flight and he said yes it was the correct gate confirming my flight number. A short time later another IB member of staff turned up, she looked and acted more senior, and again after another ten minutes I asked her regarding my flight. A few of the other passengers did too. T-30 and still NO plane and then she asked us all to come forward and scanned our BP’s.

She told us to go down the jet bridge, down the stairs and onto a bus which wasn’t even there! Furthermore when I got to the end of the Jet Bridge the sliding door was locked and it was all becoming a bit farcical but I just kept telling myself “keep counting to ten Pete” in my head.

Big deep breath and relax, big deep breath and relax!

As it turned out a bus did turn up and we were bussed over to the A321 IB plane which was already 2/3rds full. I had booked an exit seat on this flight and surprise when I got there a guy was sitting in my seat. I politely beckoned to him that this was my seat (a row of 3) and he invited me to sit in the middle seat by patting it. Em…..No. Now, I don’t know the Spanish word for no so I said “NON” and shook my head in a horizontal motion.. At this point a CC member told him to take his seat which was on the opposite side to me and in front of the exit and which s folks know these rows are non-reclining. An Ok flight but you have to buy your own food in Y (and this was booking into a full fare Y ticket as it had a WTP/PE connection) The crew seemed a bit surly but before I knew it I was at Heathrow T5 which I was glad to see.

I decided to leave the terminal using the E-Passport gates which I saw were empty and I was outside in about 10-15 minutes maximum after leaving the aircraft. Great stuff and I then bought a cup of Tea and had a few cigarettes before the 11 hour flight ahead. I had no Lounge access on the outbound so after I went back through Security again (about ten minutes) I went to Wetherspoons at the North end of the terminal (I was still BA Bronze/OW Ruby). I had a lovely Baked Potato with Prawns and Melted Cheese which was deeeeeelicious.

I have to have Tomato Ketchup with a lot of foods and this was no different. I just LOVE the stuff but it has to be Heinz. Anyhow having arrived about three and a half hours before my HKG flight, to be honest having no lounge access was absolutely fine. By the time I ate this:

I had a wander about the shops testing all the after shaves (I must have been REEKING of the stuff but I bought a 100 ml bottle of Kouros which the ladies love!!!) before heading over to the C gates 2 hours had flown by and soon it was time to board.

This flight was on G-XLEA which was not the one which I had heating issues with before. I am reliably informed that the Captains now have control of the cabin temperature and this flight was just fine and I will go onto that shortly. Sitting at the Gate I wondered why all these folks from various countries were flying, Business folks, a few solo travellers, families. Each had a story I suppose.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

On board and my seat 65K.

I had noticed on a previous flight that this had 2 bins and in general terms the odd numbered seats seem to have 2 bins. I did try to get 61 A/K bulkhead seats which are bassinet seats but they had been snapped up before I could get my hands on one of them. On the way back from LAX recently I did OLCI but did NOT print my BP and this allows you to re-select your seat. On that flight at about T-4 one opened up and I found it very comfortable. Well, until I received a double op-up to F as part of a service recovery for a very cold flight out.

I had an elderly Australian Lady sitting next to me and her husband was in the aisle opposite. On the meal being served and peeling back the foil she noticed this just before me. I pointed this out to the crew who seemed a bit mortified. The CSM came over soon afterwards and to cut a long story short (hard for me!) he returned after the meal service and gave me Avios and recorded it on his i-Pad. He explained that the Caterers can be a bit hashy when loading the meal trolleys and to be honest I blame them but these things happen. There were quite a few shards of china in there too so I handed them back to the CS when he came around. He said he was going to keep them and send them back as part of his ‘report’.

Anyhow I was still alive and the old Lady next to me was very nice. Chatty and she and her hubby had been on a RTW trip including seeing some family in the UK. A few films later and a sleep then before I knew it we were in Hong Kong. I don’t know why but the more I travel the easier the flights become, length wise. Overall, a nice flight.

It didn’t take long to leave the Airport but before doing so I had to but an Express train ticket to get to the Hotel. I did notice a young girl in the queue behind me with a black case and a BA Silver tag and momentarily thought I wonder why she is here. Now to go a bit off topic here I normally always have my FT Yellow luggage tag on my rucksack but although I had taken it I didn’t attach it to my bag. As it turned out this young lady was an FT’r, Hannah178, who was also going to the Do and was with BERBound. Of course I didn’t know this until I turned up at the Do the following night and I recognised her right away. Hah!

Here are some photos of the Regal Kowloon which was fine for one night. I paid an extra £30 to upgrade to an Executive Room which allowed me to use the Lounge. It was very nice, eager attentive staff and a good choice of things on offer, sandwiches, fruits, drinks, TV, a nice small library and Internet stations. I did find it a bit cold I thought with the air con too low and I did mention this to the staff. A jersey was definitely needed, initially. There were never more than about 10 people in it and that was including at breakfast time the following morning. The breakfast itself was quite good and I took a few bananas, apples and biscuits and water as I left. That would do me for lunch and I thought I may as well get my money’s worth. I am sure I put a few pastries and crisps into my rucksack as well. Now I did ask if I could take something out of the Lounge before doing this and the Manager said to help myself.

I found this to be the case at the Langham in Mongkok where I stayed the last time where there was a sign and fruit, pastries etc. which told you could take it away in a lunch bag which were provided. I like that especially being a Scotsman and tight with money

It is a help yourself but the Waiters bring the drinks to you.

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm Reason: added photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

The Grand Hyatt on Hong Kong Island – Harbour View Room.

A lovely hotel and a room with a great view. It was a pity that there were construction works going on outside the hotel and in particular the Harbour Room views. A crane started up every morning from 7 a.m. and it went on until about 10 p.m. The sound of squeaky metal was as if the metal was ‘grinding’ against another part of metal. I think the crane was just in need of some lubrication! I was out most days but the early morning squealing was a PITA!

The staff at the Hotel were very polite and extremely attentive and the concierge was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. A great stay overall apart from the noise. It wasn’t too loud but was light to moderately audible. It looks like these works are going to go on for some time so for that reason I am sad to say I won’t be staying here again.

The Noisy Crane!

Friday night was the Flyertalk Do and there were about 9 FTr’s and around another 4 non Ftr’s who were friends of some of the HKK based FTr’s. I arrived a little late and ThatT1Feeling had described himself as wearing a Pink shirt so as I entered Delaney’s in the Wanchai area I saw two blokes and I went up to them and said “Ah, you must be the FTr’s, I am PETER01” to which there was a bemused look and a laugh as it wasn’t this guy at all but he was wearing a pink shirt as well!!

I then quickly spotted another guy wearing a similar shirt and hey-ho this time it was ThatT1Feeling. We were later joined by BERbound, Hannah178, Beano HK and Mrs Beano HK, BA Gold, buschoi and where next amongst a few others. Great conversations were had given our interest in flying, travel and experiences etc. However there was also loads of non FT chat and it was very interesting to meet folks from various backgrounds and occupations. One chap flies RTW every month and has done for years and years with lots of Asia regional flying in between. Phew!

I was led astray and before I knew it I had been mixing my drinks (baaaadddd combination). I’m not really a drinker at all these days and easily go for months and months without one or even longer. We went onto another bar where there were a few good bands and even more alcohol was consumed. Someone had bought a huge jug of spirits and we all had a large glass each. That was it for me but then we went to another bar nearby which was heaving and there was another band. I thought I felt alright but then after a visit to the loo and a very dizzy head I thought that’s it for me. I went outside for a cigarette and then the fresh air just hit me. PING! I couldn’t get back into the Pub not for being refused but it was extremely crowded and I thought I would just head home. I stopped for a Subway Meal nearby and sat in then went back to the Hotel. The next thing I remember was waking up at about 10.50 the next morning.

Saturday was a very groggy day so I just stayed around the Hotel and went for a walk to the local shops etc. before retiring to my room. I fall asleep again and then woke at 7 p.m. I got showered (which made no difference to a very heavy head) drank loads of the complimentary water which was plentiful in the room and then went down for dinner. A bit of a wasted day but a chill out day at the same time.

A fine FT’r but I won’t say who he was other than it isn’t me!

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm Reason: ading photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

The morning after. A fine breakfast preceded by cereal and lots of fruit juices. This was to keep me going for the day. Note the bacon Tomvexille, none of that rubbish USA streaky stuff , proper Back Bacon.

I love smoothies and there were plenty on offer here or get one made to YOUR liking!

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:35 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Cheung Chau

I had heard from a few FTr’s that this place was worth a visit and a huge thanks to corporate-wage-slave for all the HKG tips etc. ^

I had been to all the main touristy areas before, Stanley Market, Disneyland, The Peak, Lantau Island, Aberdeen etc. so this place sounded very nice.
A very small Island and only about a couple of miles long and about less than ¼ of a mile wide in places. No vehicles were on this island and folks seem to get about on little motorised carts. The Fire Service, Police and Ambulance Service all have modified sized vehicles too as you will see below. Where you arrive on the ferry this seems to be the main promenade/fish market/shops area. There are loads of little side streets too as well as a ‘Tourist Trail’. On the other side of the Island there is a beach and a few little deserted ones which are very small.

A nice feeling here, right in the outskirts of the Bay area and very much a Fishing Port. I wouldn’t say there were many tourists visiting here but there was a local school trip on the outbound ferry. To their credit they were extremely well behaved (14-16 year old teenagers and about 40 of them) allowing all the adults to board before they did. Manners, loved them. They were very quiet on board too. Once we got off everyone seemed to disappear fast and the kids went down to the local beach area which I later found out.

Anyhow, back to the beginning (I do have a tendency to jump about telling my story) and so we headed off from Central Pier (5) I will let the pictures do the talking here. I opted for the Fast Ferry but you can take the regular one for a little less but it takes and extra 15/20 minutes or so. The Fast Ferry gets there in about 35/40 minutes. I could ‘smell’ the Sea as we headed out. Ahhh! Walking about the inside of the Fish Market though all you could smell was ………..FISH!!!!! Not too bad but very evident. I really enjoyed this place, quiet, safe, tranquil, a nice atmosphere and lots of acknowledgements by the locals. I arrived there about 10.30 a.m. and I felt relaxed as I walked around lots of places sometimes getting lost here and there. All part of the fun I suppose!

I stopped for a cigarette down at the beach and an old guy nearby lit up too. Turned out he was from Wales and this was his 29th visit here! His daughter has lived in HKG for a very long time and he told me he was very well travelled in this area but this was his favourite Island of them all. I can see why.

I would imagine this place is busier in the main tourist season but you can easily go here for an early evening meal and get the late Ferry back to Central Pier on Hong Kong Island. I’ll be back here I think! As I had consumed a huge breakfast I didn’t feel the need to eat so I drank a bottle of water, then a cup of Tea along with a nice Danish pastry I had taken from the Hotel breakfast buffet along with a Banana.

As I was walking along this little lady started shouting at me as I was snapping away beckoning me not to move. There was a dog poo right in front of me and she then picked it up and swept the pavement area. It would seem there were a few stray dogs here. She then smiled and ‘waved’ me on. Thanks little old Lady!

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:41 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

What a beautiful dog eh?!!! Stunning.

No need for a Tumble Dryer living here!

Lobster on Death Row

Plenty of bikes for hire but I thought the walking would be better for me. I’d recommend a bike if travelling about the whole island though.

Tying up the live Crabs.

Hey mate, at least turn me over !! After tying up the crab he just threw it in, upside down!

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

A lovely 24 degrees here. Perfect.

As I was walking around looking for the best angle etc. I was being growled at by this dog but thankfully he/she was tied up. Good bit of bricklaying here!

Looking back from the Temple area

Now, The Fish Market area……..

Can anyone translate the writing on the tank into English please? Humorous replies are welcome too!

Are these Cormorants?

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

There seemed to be a lot of bartering at the stalls over prices. I wish I could understand the language (note to self!!) Interesting watching the locals though. Just about to hand the money over then a quick withdrawl of the banknote before deals were struck!

No worries if you forget to bring cash here. Turn right as you get off the ferry and it is about 100 yards along the promenade.

I think the next time I am in Hong Kong I will stay for a night on this little gem of an Island.

I lay on the beach for a few hours just soaking up the rays listening to the little waves crashing on the beach, no noise, no one about at this end of the beach, brilliant…………….

Well as you may have worked out by now I had a great time here. Get out of the main Hong Kong area and go here or to some of the other little islands. They really are wonderful. The cost for the ferry was $49 HKG (24.50 each way) which is about £4.50! RETURN! Bring your own little packed lunch and it is a cheap day out just buying drinks. A must for Seafood lovers though but if you don’t fancy that then as you get off the Ferry right in front of you is a …………McDonlads!

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

A last look out of the Hotel Room which had been ‘home' for nearly 5 days. Sad to be leaving and I could easily have stayed another week.............. or three!!!!!

The Crane strikes again!
SQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!

Here he is, the man who woke me every morning! Grrr……….

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Kowloon

Now from the Hotel if you turn right at the main entrance, go down to the junction turn right about 4 minute walk and you will find yourself at the Star ferry. I went to Kowloon on my last day so here are some photos from there.

Modern Art. The building above is the Art Gallery.

A nice afternoon there just sitting around, along the Avenue of Stars (like the LA Hollywood Walk of Fame)

Some final hotel shots……………

The Main Dining area. Billion Dollar deals being made here?

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 10:04 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Mmmm……………………

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm Reason: adding photos
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Ah PETER01 what a bril report so far- as usual! The IB flight from MAD is all a bit surreal....especially Mr Chancer 'sit here...pat pat'

Now I hope you have reserved enough spots and I haven't just screwed up the layout of the report!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

The Pool area. Lots on offer here Spa, Sauna, and Gym etc.

Every time I go on trips recently the places seem to be empty. Not that I am complaining!

Well that all for now folks. I am halfway through the TR and will post the rest at the weekend. I hope you enjoy my little adventure in what is now one of my firm favourites of a destination.

Still to come, Hong Kong CX new Lounge ‘The Bridge’ Upper deck on the A380 in economy, a full review of the Iberia Madrid Lounge in Terminal 4S and my first Club Europe experience.

Here a few from the 2nd part.

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Ah PETER01 what a bril report so far- as usual! The IB flight from MAD is all a bit surreal....especially Mr Chancer 'sit here...pat pat'

Now I hope you have reserved enough spots and I haven't just screwed up the layout of the report!
Thanks crazy8534! Yes Mr Chancer got the evil eye

Yes you did muck up the layout but....... I forgive you

I'll ask the Mods to move your post to after the last photo post. My fault actually as I counted the reserved posts wrong

EDITED TO ADD: I have just realised that I have posted the TR on the wrong forum and only meant to include a link to it later on in the BA Board as usual..

What a plonker

Grovelling message sent to the Moderators.....

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: Meh
HK is a place I visit many times a year so this TR is particularly interesting. I think the pictures are beautiful and you capture the essence of HK. By the way I got in late that Friday night you guys were in Wanch, pity.

Great TR Peter (again).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.