Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair and Swiss: Intra-European economy travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Ryanair and Swiss: Intra-European economy travel

I had a nested return flight fom OPO to BRU so I neede a oneway ticket to OPO. The only sensible option was FR as the legacies were way too expensive. Anyway, on the 20th I headed to CRL (also known as Brussels South).

In front of the airport.

Checkin area. Quite spacious but the arrivals on the other side of the building is too cramped.

Security was busy and right after it you come in the dutyfree zoo. The shop has been expanded since September so you either have to go through there or through the restaurant. You cannot escape the moneytakers.

One gate area has been transformed in a cafe so you have an option more to spend your oney. I took a Leffe for € 3,90 but staff was finishing so they put it in a plastic cup. Not really good service.

No free WIFI unfortunately, nor Telenet Hotspot.

As usual the flight was delayed, this time we left one hour late. The gate areas at CRL are way too small. This is the line when half of the plane had entered already. I was one of the last ones to board.

As my flight was one of the last ones that evening the airport looked deserted.

It was the first day of (melting) snow and it was quite cold. A Wizzair plane was being deiced.

The flight was packed, so I only took this legshot. My backpack had to go under the seat (too many people taking trolleys) which made the flight a bit uncomfortable. Next time I will make the bathroom shot.

I had a Jack Daniels with ice. Onboard prices have gone up again it seems. But having paid only € 23 for the flight, I thought why not.

Some arrival shots in OPO. The tarmac, luggage delivery and arrivals hall.

Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

The return flight to Brussels was with Swiss. The routing was weird OPO-GVA-ZRH-BRU but as I am saving for Aegean gold I was happy with it. Checkin was the fastest I ever had, I was the only person at the counter, the erst already had checked in.

After security you get this view. The duty-free (not really dutyfree but ok) is quite good and has some nice port wines.

Upon boarding a FA gave us a chocolate with the Swiss branding.

The meal was some kind of bland pasta and an apple-cinnamon cake. I had done this route two months ago and was surprised that the menu had not changed. The red wine was nothing to write home about.

Swiss has a lot of competition on this OPO-GVA route from Easyjet so flight load was very light. I think there was only one person in business class.

Shortly after the meal, they served coffee and came around with dutyfree stuff.

Inflight reading material

Toilet pictures and Valmont amenities

Legshot. Obviously better than Ryanair.

During the flight, a moving map was shown throughout the whole flight. The safety announcement is also shown on the screens.

Arriving in GVA, there were some interesting planes from Saudi Arabian Airlines and Emirates, Etihad and Qatar.

Also a special livery Air France regional plane.

We deplaned at a satellite building using a jetway but then we had to take the bus.

In duty free I tried some perfumes but I had my boarding passes in my hand and some perfume spilled on them with the following result.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Boarding GVA-ZRH (Airbus A319, just as OPO-GVA) with the beautiful Swiss mountains as a backdrop.

Flight load again was very light. This time I had a whole row for myself.

Private jets at GVA

Flying above Lac du Geneve.

There was only water and a chocolate served on this short hop.

Zurich airport (at least the central part) looks like a shopping mall.

Shoeshine at the airport.

Some artworks

On this flight they served a sandwich and a drink.

The beer is not very special.

Arriving in BRU at pier A.

When departing in BRU, this cafe is nice.

Sneaky shot of security.

Arriving in Pier A, it i a long way to the baggage belts. Luckily the airport is building a new, faster connection.

Baggage belts in BRU. Baggage was delivered quickly as the flight was very light.

Concluding remarks: Ryanair is good for oneway flight where you only need to get from A to B. If you want to enjoy flying, I prefer Swiss for that. Swiss FA's were very friendly all the time. Ryanair's as well but they had to deal with a full cabin so obviously they could not give much attention. Both GVA and ZRH have dingy infrastructure I think. GVA seems like a collection of building built on the fly whenever they needed it. There seems to be no masterplan. ZRH is better but both GVA and ZRH's runways need to be upgraded. YOu can feel the bumps when taking off or landing. Anyway: I am another 1500 miles closer to *Gold :-) .
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I tend to agree: FR is not bad for cheap intra-European travel. It is good to have them as an alternative...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.