Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Garuda Indonesia in C, Amsterdam (AMS) to Jakarta (CGK), via Abu Dhabi (AUH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Garuda Indonesia (GA) in Business Class (Executive Class) from Amsterdam (AMS) via Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Jakarta (CGK)

CKI in AMS Departure 3 area

CKI Kiosk did not support GA, so on to the CKI counter

Dedicated Business Class line, was not busy at all, check in at around -2h. Currently online CKI does not work, apparently due to migration to a new system.

Lounge Access to Menzies Lounge 41, alright for some time gives the usual things to a frequent traveller.

Here is my boarding pass, enrolled with GA frequent flyer program GFF, might be useful once they join an alliance. The first flight to AUH is a daytime flight, you will arrive in AUH in the evening.

This is the lounge invitation for the lounge in AUH, you will get in at CKI in AMS

Boarding via Bus or Gate, this time Bus to the lovely A330 with 2-2-2 in C

I choose an aisle seat in the middle block, so I can come and go without walking over someone else. Seat is flatter than old LH C and OZ C, and also flatter than KC C for example. No pictures of the flat GA seat, sorry it was always dark when the seat was all flat or I was sleeping. Best seat I flew in this year was the new OZ C by the way. GA also has the new Business and First seats in their new B777. GA is changing into becoming a remarkable airline; their program is called Quantum Leap, which is actually one of my favourite TV programs, coincidence?

Seats are very comfortable. If you need to work, there is a power supply on top of the arm rest next to the little reading light. There are different options for the seat, my favourite was Bed !

Amenities kit is from l'occitane, headsets with noise cancellation option, IFE is a medium sized screen which can be lifted out of the middle arm rest.

Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Awareness of the crew is formidable, there is a welcome drink and nothing seems too much to be asked for, not that I ask for much, and it always will be greeted with a smile. Anyway, first flight is to AUH about 6-7 hours. Food is very nice, different choices available, excellent quality and taste.

Before the meal service starts, you get your towel which is given in a little tray, which I though gives it a nice touch and makes you feel special.

Here we go, finger food

Don’t ask me, just ate it!

Thought about you guys in the middle of my salad, so sorry it’s been touched already 

Mean meal, I went for the salmon

My favourite comes now, chocolate heaven

There will be an around 1-1.30h technical stop in AUH which will give you 30-45min in the transit terminal. The technical stop is required for refuelling and change of crew. Some pax choose AUH as the destination, but I think most of them flew AMS to CGK. If your position is at the terminal, you can exit into the transit area. Don't leave any belongings behind and keep you hand luggage with you. The aircraft will be cleaned, and you can also choose to stay on board if you don't fancy leaving your seat. For those who do exit, once you exit the aircraft bridge, you will exchange your boarding pass against a transit pass. In the Etihad Premium lounge (for C class only) the staff will cross your name from a list and you can enjoy the lounge. Beware that you don't spent too much time in it, you have about 30-45 min. So try the excellent food, the massages or the hot shower.

Your flight to CGK is then about 8 hours overnight and there is more delicious food.

Once you arrive in CGK you will need to buy your arrival visa, it's about 300.000 Rupiah (ca. 25$ or £ 15) and can be paid by cash or CC.

Overall well done GA, very impressed, maybe I will fly them again soon. The food was excellent as mentioned before; I think the stopover in AUH gives it a nice unusual touch being a transit pax. When you fly in C obviously the Etihad Premium lounge is a big plus. You can get a 15 min massage; have nice showers or even hot meals.

I much enjoyed this trip especially the seats give down almost level and this is a big plus. You don’t feel like sliding down due to the slope, there is simply no slope and its very enjoyable to sleep. I am 1.80m, and had enough space.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Thanks for sharing! did you have to pay for shower at the lounge? that lounge at AMS charged me 10+ euros to use the shower when I was using my Priority Pass.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: SK, LH, BA, AF
Nice report and pictures. Nice to see something a little different here ^
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Thanks for sharing! did you have to pay for shower at the lounge? that lounge at AMS charged me 10+ euros to use the shower when I was using my Priority Pass.
Thanks bertuzzi. The shower I had was in AUH in the EY Premium Lounge. The AMS lounge had showers too, but don't know if they were free.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THammer
Nice report and pictures. Nice to see something a little different here ^
Thanks THammer, I thought I give my first report a try and also think GA deserves positive feedback as they are trying very hard.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:26 am
UMD

Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck
Thanks THammer, I thought I give my first report a try and also think GA deserves positive feedback as they are trying very hard.
Thank you for your great report on GA. This airline is indeed becoming a very very good airline. Questions:

- Is the lounge in AMS the only lounge accessible to GA's C pax now? When I flew them in 2011, GA was using the KLM Crown Lounge. As the entry to SkyTeam is now confirmed for March 2014, I wonder why GA decided to change its lounge and not stay with the KLM crown lounge.

- Does GA still serve snacks just before arrival into AUH and continental breakfast just before the arrival into CGK/

By the way, the ability to use the EY lounge in AUH is definitely a plus.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
GA indeed stopped sending their C class pax to the KLM lounge. Once they have entered into Skyteam, I assume they will use the Crown Lounge for C pax. Status pax can surely make use of it by then.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Always good to hear about this awesome airline.

I am counting down for my next flight in J on Garuda
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Hi UMD

Originally Posted by UMD

- Is the lounge in AMS the only lounge accessible to GA's C pax now? When I flew them in 2011, GA was using the KLM Crown Lounge. As the entry to SkyTeam is now confirmed for March 2014, I wonder why GA decided to change its lounge and not stay with the KLM crown lounge.
I did not have access to the KLM crown lounge, the lounge invitation was only valid for the Servisair/Menzies Lounge 41.

Originally Posted by UMD
- Does GA still serve snacks just before arrival into AUH and continental breakfast just before the arrival into CGK/
I did not have the snack before AUH as I knew I'll be going to the EY lounge, also I wasnt really hungry after the meal beforehand. But it is offered if you want. Before landing in CGK I had the light breakfast, but it seems I forgot to take a picture.

Originally Posted by UMD
By the way, the ability to use the EY lounge in AUH is definitely a plus.
Yes it is. I always look for things to do in a lounge besides drinks/food. So having a massage for free (I sat in these automatic chairs) or a nice shower is a plus. The shower room had a toilet in the same room, which can become handy
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is the second very promising report on Garuda in recent months. The other being an account of an F trip.

Garuda are really doing a good job of re-inventing themselves.

Thanks for posting this report. ^
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:35 am

Many thanks for taking the time to post this report, sperrgepaeck.

My first ever flight was with Garuda back in 1983 and we ventured all of the way to Melbourne. I would absolutely love to try a similar trip with them today in business class!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: IHG Platinum AMBASSODOR, HHNOURS Gold, Krisflyer Member, SPG Gold Member
Great report! Nice to see Garuda Indonesia improving! ^
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:34 am
UMD

Originally Posted by TEX277
Many thanks for taking the time to post this report, sperrgepaeck.

My first ever flight was with Garuda back in 1983 and we ventured all of the way to Melbourne. I would absolutely love to try a similar trip with them today in business class!
That should be possible again sometimes the end of May. Garuda is to resume LGW on May 29th, 2014 with its new B77W aircraft with a 1 - 2 - 1 staggered business class seat.

The LGW flight has been timed to connect to the MEL, SYD, and PER flights from CGK. The same for the return flights as well.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon_Heng
Great report! Nice to see Garuda Indonesia improving! ^
Happy you like it Jon_Heng, thanks for the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.