Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-LHR-FRA-LHR-YYZ BA F BA CE - Train to BRU and Meeting in Bavaria

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT
YYZ-LHR-FRA-LHR-YYZ BA F BA CE - Train to BRU and Meeting in Bavaria

Might take me a while to get through this. This is going to be a typical TR. Flight, food, seats, some sights, some hotels, some lounge shots. General comments in a few places on service and short comings. Flight in CE on BA, as flights in J on LH IMO, are just not worth the extra $$ unless connecting via FRA or LHR and the added price is really not noticed.

Work would take me to FRA, well, outside FRA.

Had to book flight with corporate travel desk. Turned out that flying on BA was only a few hundred CAD$ more than non-stop to FRA on AC. I used this as a chance to meet up with a business colleague in London which I had been meaning to do for months.

As a corollary benefit, I managed to MFU the CW segments on YYZ-LHR from CW to F for only 40,000 miles. Learned long ago to check, check, check and check again for space.

Taking into account the 23,866 miles credit for the flights (being nice BA Blue) and spend on BA RBC card, actually upgrade miles was 16,134 but since most miles come from using my RBC Avion credit card and I get 50% bonus on transfers to BA, net miles are 10,756 RBC points or equivalent spend but I have churned this so much it probably cost nothing from a few sign up bonuses. So for all purposes, cost to upgrade was 0$ and really 0 miles net.

Even the fare to FRA was not horrible and thankfully my company pays J to fly but I certainly go out of my way to get value for flights and will gladly take a longer routing to save my company $$. I am carrier agnostic and status-less and honestly do try to save my company money given they offer me the benefit to fly in J to my meetings.

First order of business, check to see if flight is new F….pass by terminal waiting area…..

Flight would be new F going and old F coming back.

OK, it would be new F today….nice.

On to the lounge.

A few shots of some aircraft waiting.

More about this AT flight later.

Lounge was so so for size. Not bad booze selection. A little cramped in the small F section. Lounge attendent was outstanding. Did not go to the CW side. A live champions legue game was on which was good to watch.

Had to catch up on some last minute work.

I would be dining as I had not had anything to eat leaving the office. I had not intended to but it turned out to be very worthwhile. The lounge attendent did a good sale job and she was right on.

A glass of bubbles to start.

Really enjoyed the meal. The catering manager came out to make sure everything was to your liking. It was.

No desert here…I am watching my figure.

Now what is rather ironic about this photo was that this AT flight was on its way to LGW.

Since my meeting on the weekend had been cancelled at the last minute and would start on Sunday night, since I was unable to change my LHR flight to BRU, I would be landing in FRA and hoping onto the ICE train to BRU to meet up with friends from my studies in GOT. In fact, it was just over 17 years ago that I took a AT flight to LGW where I first signed up for BAEC on a flight from LGW to GOT.

I did a very fine job running up miles on discounted Q tickets back to NA during the same…now I would not be flying in Y on a charter but flying F on BA. Funny where things have taken me in the last 17 years.

At this point, not having eaten and had 2 glasses of bubbles, I was well on my way to a fun flight.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Flight BA092 YYZ-LHR
Equipment 777-2 – New F
Departs: 7:30pm
Arrives: 6:25am
Seat 1A

After having a nice meal at the lounge, the attendant came around to advise us that they would begin priority boarding for F pax shortly.

Walked over to the gate, a little lice around but not too bad, showed my boarding card and down the jet bridge I went. Was met by friendly FA who took me to my seat. Shortly thereafter, they had an amenity kit and some pajamas. I requested some Bollinger Rose and changed into my pajamas.

I did notice that storage space in New F is somewhat limited for “gadgets” but I would not have much need for them on this flight. Eat, drink, sleep would be my agenda.

The wardrobe seemed large enough for the bag that I would need to access during my flight and my cloths after changing. The large size pajamas was just right for me but could be a little snug on some. Had a review of the menu and what I would be eating this evening. I had already eaten so was only going to have a lighter meal….

A few cabin shots.

Push back was right on time. A few taxi shots. Would be a nice flight tonight. Very little chop expected.

And we are off.

I can just make out my building at the front right of the last photo.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

I decided to “start” watching argo since I knew I would not get through it since I wanted to get some sleep on this flight.

Another glass of rose and nuts. Will post the menus tomorrow.

Time for dinner.

Another glass of champagne – the Grand siècle and a glass of the puligny montrachet. At this point, I was well on my way to being able to sleep without much trouble despite the early time. I had been up since 3am local time so that would help.

Great entre. The beef was a little more cooked than I typically like but very tender and great flavour.

Sorry, no desert folks. I was pretty stuffed from the lounge also. I am sure it is very good but I have been eating too much rich food the weeks before so really needed to take a pause.

A nice night cap of JWB…probably 3 fingers.

At this point, things get a little hazy but I returned from the washroom to my bed made up and pretty much was out like a light until 30 minutes to landing. FA’s offered something to eat, but I just went with some juice as I was planning to get something to eat in the arrivals lounge before having a nice soak to refresh and make my way into the city.

Time to wake up. Thankfully I had the forethought to grab an analgesic out of my carry on. That helped with my champagne headache. A quick shot on arrival.

I found dinner to be very nice. Having only flow AC/CX/LH J in the last few years, I found food was a considerable step up from J. Being from the west coast, I do not normally eat much salmon but this was very good and nice and well done.

Alcohol selection was also great (although the red Bordeaux was so so IMO although the puligny montrachet was great) and as much as I like Krug NV, personally, I found that BA has outstanding bubbles in F. Three selections on this flight. Wow. Although it was not as good as this one I had for a special day when I returned home.

Arrival was rough. Very quick through passport control and over the the arrivals lounge.

Ask for a bath to soak in. Was directed to a cabana but they did not run the water for me…I know, first world problems.

A few photos of the cabana. I did not expect HKG Wing F Cabana’s but it was nice enough. I had noticed on a few trips to LHR a few years back that the arrivals/lounge facilities are industrial in nature versus decorated/designed to be an extension of the lounge. It almost seemed as though once you go into the shower/toilet area, you may as well be in the regular terminal.

Running my own H2O. I think I might have fallen asleep in there also since my water was no where near as hot as it was when I drew the bath. Olafman, no video TR of me in the Cabana. Sorry.

I had some eggs benedict. I opted for the hollandaise on the side given how much I have seen in some TR’s. It was decent and was freshly prepared and at this point, very welcome.

Finally, a few shots of the dining area in the arrivals lounge for F pax. I was not the only one I just try to avoid taking pictures of people.

I will give some thoughts at the end but having read a few reports out there about marginal F product, I was rather impressed with this. I think it had everything to do with the FA’s. They really can make or break a flight and they were stellar and appropriate thanks were sent on to BA.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: KL Gold SkyTeam Elite Plus - SEN M&M *G
Great report! Thanks mate
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:42 pm

Seconded, really good stuff.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for first part of your TR, so glad you enjoyed NF, and food good apart from the steak being slightly over cooked, that seems to be quite normal. Yes, the CCR in the arrivals lounge is nice, a quiet haven compared with outside. Always have the eggs benedict with smoked salmon, goes down really well. Look forward gto next episode^
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Great TR! Thanks for sharing^
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Having returned from the city from doing some business with a colleague, I re-cleared security/customs and headed to the CCR. I only have the LH F lounge, as F lounges go, to compare it to, but my initial impressions were it was a little small. That said, given the rules regarding entrance, I did not find it got very busy during my time there.

I had read and was warned about the “afternoon tea” services on Band 3 flights on CE. I really honestly “try” to eat as well as I can when I travel on business. I did not find what was on offer for a meal on this CE flight would be either (i) nutritious or (ii) appropriate given my flight was arriving right before dinner time – and 2, I had a quick meeting to attend to before hoping on a train to BRU on arrival at FRA.

Therefore, I decided to have some late lunch in the CCR. I was impressed. I know some of you will be aghast that I did not even have one bottle…I mean glass of champagne in the CCR. This was probably because I had had way too much on the flight over and as noted, I had to deal with some stuff on arrival into FRA and being half cocked would not be a good idea given my audience.

I did have a nice class of the claret.

I liked the dining area. I did not have too much trouble getting a person to serve me. It was rather quick.

I found the food reasonable although the wonton soup could be a tad spicy for some – not me – and it was boiling hot. In my view, soup that is not intended to be cold must be boiling hot. So it was very nice.

Part of my other mission was to scope out the Japanese Whiskey selection in T5. So I did not spend much time in the CCR. To my surprise, they had the Yamazaki 12 year old discounted for a very nice price (of course, always relative) but well below the price in Japan and the US and Canada. I think it was 37 pounds. I had originally only intended to buy some coming home for the wife but decided to pick up a bottle to drink at my buddies place for the next two nights.

I did end up buying a bottle of the 18 year old Yamazaki and the 18 year old Hakushu on the way back. I have a TR on the distillery on this board for those with some interest in the same.

I am not sure what it is lately but a lot of airports all look like chek lap kok? Even our own YYZ does in some respect.

We would be boarding from the main terminal in T5.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Flight BA0908 LHR-FRA-T2
Departs: 2:10pm
Arrives: 4:55pm
Seat 2A

Now it got a little dodgy in terms of timing on this flight. I had to catch the ICE 18 from F-Flughafen Fernbf to Bruxelles-Midi at 06:43pm. I had more than enough time….

That said, we were ready to push back when the pilot comes on to indicate that on his last flight, there was a security issue and airport staff needed to interview the pilot. Yikes. So pilot pops out of the cabin, jet bridge reconnects and doors open. Uh oh. Now my buffer to train is a little tighter….thankfully it was only a 30 or so minute delay. I still had time for my meeting and to catch the train on arrival.

Decent leg room.

Although I must say, even flying domestic J in Canada, AC’s product is much better than any J I have flown in the EU. Flights are generally much shorter so perhaps this is the reason.

A few shots during taxi and take off.

It better not be the B359….[my attempt at a joke]

A few bumps on the way up.

Flying in Canada, you rarely see as much traffic in the air. On this flight, quite a bit.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Yikes, snow.

Probably getting close to flying over where I would be taking a train to shortly.

Now I must say, afternoon tea would have been bad for me. I opted for the “Lacto ovo vegetarian” special meal was very poor. More healthy than the standard option but the quality was poor. It was a small salad comprising only a small amount of lettuce and some small pieces of tofu. The picture seems to make it look better than it was….I am normally pretty easy to please when it comes to airline food but this is the first time I have complained formally about a premium cabin's food ever. At least it was healthy as my business travels make me plump enough...but even this was just downright poor.

I am by no means a vegetarian but I do eat substantial amounts of tofu in a variety of Chinese, Indian and non Indian dishes and like it a lot. Part of the issue was not with the tofu per se but the very tiny amount of a single variety of lettuce that accompanied the same....seemed to be iceberg lettuce (could be romaine now as I look at it)? i would think that with lettuce being cheap, even mixed greens etc. would have been better... that said, as noted above, I had had lunch in the CCR before on the advice of others on this board before but was hoping that, since I had to go to meetings right on arrival at offices in FRA, my ability to have something substantive for the same was rather limited. Perhaps I was expecting too much and dare I say, spoiled with domestic J food on Air Canada...[gasp]

Arrival into FRA was on the run way in the middle of nowhere….[BA is clearly treated as a second class citizen at FRA…although the day I would go home, FRA decided to have a strike and so it was very easy from the remote stand to the main runway…]

Some big fancy office complex….

Wait, FRA is back there…

So with my meeting aside, I popped over to the international train platforms. Popped into the supermarket to get a few beers and some sandwich supplies for my train ride and off on the ICE to BRU-Midi….

Next, a little time in BRU although I now think I should have bought 2 bottles of whiskey for my 2 nights...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: British Airways
Fantastic report so far!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

This was not by design.

After catching up with two old friends…and after consuming a large amount of Yamazaki, red wine and some jupier…we had to figure out what to do. Last time we caught up was on the southwest coast of Sweden at my friends summer house.

One friend had to drive back to Holland with his two kids. So our original plan was to go to here..http://www.hortamuseum.be/ sadly, and this was when I knew I was back in the EU, only open from 14.00 to 17.30…oh well. Another time.

A good alternative since my friends two young girls enjoy the same was this place…http://airmuseum.be/en/ and really, to an FT’er, this is a very nice alternative.

Many of my personal favorites. Many that are still air worthy also.

Up to the roof to see some views of the city.

Another day and a half catching back up with my friend and it was back on the train.

Not bad leg room.

If I was not so pressed for time to get back to FRA for my driver to pick me up and take me to our meeting, I would have stopped in http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/292 although I did get to see some decent views from the train as we bombed out of the station in Koln.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I arrived back at the train station at FRA and met up with some colleagues from Paris to catch our car to Hotel Schloss Löwenstein, in Kleinheubach. This was a team building/meeting hotel. The all inclusive concept of food, drinks booze etc. was very nice with bars in the basement of the hotel with pool tables etc. Designed to encourage interaction with colleagues. It was nice. Food was fantastic although hard to pull out a camera while working….sorry.

Since there is really no TR reports or TA reviews, I decided to post some photos. No TV’s in the room…

It is in an old castle in Bavaria. There is some history to this place. The dining room that was walled with granite was stunning.

Some photos of the property and other rooms.

Finally, a little sun.

Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Our meeting was done and back for meetings in FRA for one day and overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn FRA. I was looking into LH’s offices..The Squaire complex is very large with lots of restaurants etc. A bit of advice, if on a long layerover at FRA, I would leave the terminal and walk over here to grab a bite.

Very very nice location. Clean hotel and our corporate rate was very nice. Did not have time for breakfast.

Looking into the Hilton check in area.

Went for some dinner at the Paulander in the Squiaire. Wow was this good!!

http://www.paulaner-thesquaire.de/

The beer was very nice. Went to pick up a few bottles of beer for my room and did some work and called it a night after skyping with my family.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Well it was time to go home.

Woke up early in the morning and started to walk towards the terminal. I noticed that a sign had been placed over the shuttle bus sign to T2 at FRA. I could have sworn it was not covered yesterday…

Off to the terminal and a walk through T1 to get the tram over to T2….noticed some cots out in the terminal….also odd. I thought the snow storm was done and they would have cleaned that up. Checked in and as I glanced up for the first time at the arrivals/departures boards, wow…all LH flights cancelled. That sucks if you are on LH. Glance a newspaper and notice words Strike and Lufthansa…double sucks if you are on LH. In any case, off to the JAL lounge.

Lots of pictures over on the BA board so no need to post any. It was a decent lounge to have a glass of OJ and cup of coffee.

FRA-LHR
Departs: 7:20am
Arrives: 8:15am
A319
Seat 2A

This was the fastest departure at FRA I have had. Given LH is on strike, we could use the premium runway and were not relegated to the plebe runway.

Was up in about 10 minutes after push back.

A decent breakfast. Still not as good as the old breakfasts I used to get on Canadian Airlines on my short hops out of YVR in Y….

Very calm day for flying.

Empty seat next to me. I was surprised since Y was jammed with people who were left high and dry by the strike…

Where my jacked hung for the flight.

Getting close to LHR.

Nice touchdown. Very calm flight. Nice FA’s on flight but it was so short it is hard to say too much about the same.

What a mess security was. Even fast track was slow track. I can see why some despise this at T5.

In any case, first order of business was to grab a bottle of the 18 year old Yamazaki and 18 year old Hakushu. BTW, they are very well priced at T5 duty free.

Then off to the CCR for some breakfast. I met a chap going up the escalator to the lounge. Asked him which lounge he was going to, he said club, I said do you want to go to the CCR….sure.

Turns out he was op-upped from J to F at the lounge entrance. So we could have gone out and grabbed two more people to join us…

I can see why the terrace is nice. A little shaky IMO.

Some more grub and coffee….

Some eggs. Sauce on the side as always. They were very well done. I wonder if this was since you can not hide badly poached eggs with sauce.

Then a glass of Bollinger Rose before my flight. The only drop I had at the CCR if you can believe it.

LHR-YYZ
Departs 12:00pm
Arrives: 3:55pm
772 – Old F
Seat 2A

Boarded. Rats old F. That said, I honestly did not see a huge difference in space and privacy between the two. I also was not fussed by the ipad as IFE.

Another glass of bubbles now that it was a little later in the day.

Leg room was great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.