Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

airberlin Berlin - New York in Business Class (AB TXL-JFK in J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airberlin Berlin - New York in Business Class (AB TXL-JFK in J)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up airberlin Berlin - New York in Business Class (AB TXL-JFK in J)

airberlin 7248 ("Air Berlin")
Airbus A330-200

To: John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK) Terminal 8

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Introduction
As a long time oneworld loyalist, I was very excited to see airberlin join the alliance. Not only for the diversity of flight selection and award availability for travel in Europe, but also for another option to dodge high fuel surcharges. airberlin has good connectivity to the rest of the world through their hubs in Dusseldorf and Berlin. British Airways (and to a lesser extent, Iberia), tack on sizable YQ to award tickets. This round trip business-class redemption from Austin to Berlin (via New York JFK) cost 100K AAdvantage miles plus $101.90 in fees.

I was anxious to see how airberlin would compare to my previous premium international flights. Having previously flown First on Cathay Pacific (747), Qantas (A380); and Business on Cathay Pacific (Cirrus and Olympus), American (777), and LAN (767) -- I would say airberlin surpassed my expectations. This trip report will cover just the airberlin segment.

Since I didn't see too many reviews of airberlin's business class offering, I tried to include a few more details. Looks like airberlin is moving to a fully-flat business offering soon, however.

Schedule
On more than one occasion I was pretty concerned I wouldn't make short 75 minute International -> Domestic connection at JFK to get home to Austin. With the flight schedule to touch down at 3:35p, arriving at the gate about 10 minutes later -- it was going to be tight. Not only was this particular flight notorious for being not on time (was running average of 50 minutes late the week around Christmas), once landed, there was the long process. I had to pass immigration, pick up luggage, clear customs, recheck bag, clear security for connecting flight (== opt out of the bug zappers), and run to the gate before it closed. The JFK-AUS flight departs at 5:10pm, and I would be stranded in New York for the night if I missed it. Which isn't the end of the world....

For this particular flight, the plane arrived 10 minutes late. Luggage wasn't particularly quick either (priority baggage tagging didn't help -- if you carry on you can save easily 15 minutes). But luckily, American is located in the same terminal as airberlin, which avoided require riding the airTrain to another terminal. With a little bit of running (my exercise for the day!), I arrived at the gate of the connecting flight just as they were calling "Group 2." Whew!

To be comfortable, I would have loved a 2 hour layover to not rush and experience the Flagship Lounge in JFK. But that will have to be another day.
Class of Service: Business (Seat 2G)

Scheduled departure: 01:05PM CET
Actual departure: 01:14PM CET
Scheduled arrival: 03:35PM EST
Actual arrival: 03:44PM EST
Duration: 8 hours 30 minutes

Direct distance: 3968 miles
Actual flown distance: 4183 miles
Flight Track on Flightaware
Airport / Lounges
Those who haven't visited the Berlin Tegal airport aren't missing much. It felt dark, dingy, and lacked typical amenities you would expect a modern airport to have. Security is done at the gate, which also means the lounges are outside the secure area.

Your lounge choices as an airberlin passenger are either the shared AirFrance lounge or the British Airways Terraces lounge. I only had time to check out AF one, and wasn't impressed. While there was a view of the tarmac, it was obstructed by small windows with grating on top, not conducive to viewing. There weren't any restrooms either in the lounge, and seating areas were limited to two living room-sized shared areas. At least there was free wifi and light prepackaged snacks that you can wash down with your 5 liquor selections. I only ever saw one staff in the lounge, and she was the one checking people in. Just about the only lounge I thought sunk lower than this was the Iberia Lounge in Frankfurt.

Check-In
The economy check-in line stretched for miles, but the priority section had no one waiting at all. Without status, you could easily wait 30 minutes in line. My boarding pass was printed and lugged checked to Austin within 5 minutes of arriving at the airport. So, theoretically even for this long haul, you can arrive 60 minutes prior to the flight and have plenty of time.

Boarding
Gates 21/22 actually shared one security station with 2 metal detector machines. The gate area is literally overflowing by the time they are ready to board. The call for business class was 45 minutes before departure, and we got our own shuttle bus to the airplane parked in the tarmac.

Cabin / Hard Product
I found the cabin clean, airy. Pillows were stashed neatly on top of seats as we walked in. Each pair of seats were staggered for better privacy.

Looks like today, the cabin load was light, with 10 / 16 seats occupied.

The left and right seat pairs didn't have a cubby or other obstructions in the bulkhead.

As far as seat comfort, I would have to say it is fine for lounging. Head cushion protrudes a bit in takeoff position. Luckily, it has a vertical adjustment and becomes less of an issue with some recline. For sleeping, it felt the angle was even more sloped than the angle-flat seats I was used to on American's 777 long haul business offering. Good thing this was a daytime flight. Lounging: 7/10. Sleeping: 5/10.

Each seat had not only an international AC outlet, but a USB plug on the entertainment center.

Newspapers were offered with smile as we walked in and was also available a la carte at the front and back of business cabin until departure time.

Service
Very shortly after settling in, I was offered champagne, orange juice, water, or another choice of beverage. It was presented in real glassware. I got water and orange juice (not-from-concentrate and had pulp!).

The attendants were friendly, cheerful, and smiling throughout the flight. A bit unexpected considering the perception that Germans can be a bit more stiff and formal. A few times, their casualness caught me off guard (not in a bad way), with a response of "yeah, sure!" when I asked for something.

Just prior to pushback, a bottle of water with cup/napkin on top was passed out.

Amenity Kit

The amenity kit was basic, but sufficient. I liked Cathay and LAN's the best, but I'd say this was on par with American's offering. The cloth slippers were a nice touch.

... continued below due to image limitations...

Last edited by beaktor; Jan 7, 2013 at 9:28 am Reason: changed reference of CX's J seats
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Food
As a food lover, this is a big part of my flight enjoyment -- and what distinguishes the adults from the kids in premium class offerings. And with that said, airberlin did well. I would say almost on par with Cathay's business class, surpassing American's barely edible food by a mile.

Menu

The purser came by and addressed me by name, "Mr. beaktor, may I offer you our menu?"

After a round of hot towel and beverage service, the purser came by to note my choice of entree. I requested the "prawn and pasta," to which she responded with "my pleasure." She then helped me with the tray table to she set the linens up, followed up by offering a ramekin of warm nuts (unsalted).

The flight attendants winked at me whenever we made eye contact. Not sure if that was normal, but I didn't know how to react sometimes, haha. Service can best be described as a good balance of personable/casual but still refined.

Trout Tartare topped with German Caviar on Rocket Salad
Boiled Beef Salad with homemade Green Sauce
Cappuccino Cherry Tart
Tete de Moine and Bonifaz Pepper Cheese

At first it was hard to tell what each item was, since they were all presented to you at the same time on one tray, instead of in courses. The tartare was very tasty, but I thought the beef salad was beyond weird. How about some greens in a salad?

Prawns marinated in lime juice in Hollandaise "Sansibar" sauce with tagliatelle pasta and spinach

The main course was delicious and had just the right balance of flavors.

The cherry tart dessert was equally nice.

Drink Selection

Entertainment / Rest of the Flight

Water and snacks were left out in empty front seats after meal service so you can grab some anytime.

The entertainment system isn't particularly flashy or large. The 12" or so display is stowed from between the seats. Note the USB port in the display.

The movie selection looked quite old, so I opted to go with my personal collection instead.

Daytime view out the window.... After meal service, I watched a movie and then dozed off for a few hours. Again the seat was pretty angled, so it was fine for daytime napping. I did notice the plane was pretty quiet, which helped me sleep.

Snack

About 1:45 before landing, a cold meal was served. It was tasty!

Slices of grilled Chicken Breast with a delicate Spanish Potato Salad and green Pesto Sauce
Jalapeno Pepper Cream Cheese
Fruit Tartlet

The attendants passed out hot towels as we were about to land. The purser came by to each passenger and said farewell with a genuine smile.

Conclusion

Overall, I found the flight itself very pleasant. I'd fly airberlin long haul again in business. Service professional yet personal, with just the right amount of polish. The food as well was a high point. I thought the sloped angle-flat seat and entertainment system could use improvement, but it appears AB is on their way to fix that.

Given a choice, I'd definitely choose airberlin over American across the Atlantic. Due to weather, I was rerouted to the AA DFW-FRA 767 flight instead of AB's JFK-TXL flight, as planned on the way in. (So I got a chance to fly both AA and AB the week.) Unfortunately, I can't comment on how it compares to British Airways' business class.

This is my first official trip report, thanks for reading! Feel free to ask any questions.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:07 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Thanks for the report.

Did you taste any wine? What the heck is Sansibar wine, anyway — anyone? There seems to be a lot of it on this list.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great to see what alternatives there are to the legacy airlines
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Great pictures and good report. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:41 am

Great job, thanks.

Nice to hear good things about AB J.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Thanks for the report, great to see another good airline that is part of oneworld!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:10 am

That actually looks pretty good. Of course I'd prefer a lie-flat seat, but airBerlin is planning to install these.

Contrary to your experience, I love Tegel Airport. It's extraordinarily convenient, and one can get from car door to airplane door with just a few steps.

The airBerlin departure to New York is perhaps an exception. It's at the very far end of the terminal, with a circuitous passage through immigration and security. The other gates at Tegel are significantly easier.

Some of my friends just took airBerlin in business class to Düsseldorf; they were unimpressed. Perhaps their service shines best during daylight flights.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:13 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for the report.

Did you taste any wine? What the heck is Sansibar wine, anyway — anyone? There seems to be a lot of it on this list.
Nice trip report beaktor ^

Sansibar is the name of a restaurant on the German island of Sylt. They advise AB on the catering.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for the report.

I had a glass of 2011 Silvaner and CHardonnay (first choice) and didn't have a strong opinion either way on it. Perhaps after a week of drinkiing in Berlin for New Year's desensitized some of my taste buds

Originally Posted by 1P
Contrary to your experience, I love Tegel Airport. It's extraordinarily convenient, and one can get from car door to airplane door with just a few steps.
You do have a point -- it is pretty simple to navigate TXL from door to plane, and is quite uneventful if you have priority.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:24 am
Suspended

What r CX Apollo J class seats? U mean Olympus?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by correctioncx
What r CX Apollo J class seats? U mean Olympus?
You are correct. Another brain fart on my part. It's been fixed now.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for sharing your experience on Air Berlin Business Class.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I had a similar Airberlin experience on TXL-LAX that I blogged about previously. I actually liked the movie selection, watched Mission Impossible Ghost Recon. I had the red Tuscan wine, pretty tasty. I chose Green Curry for my meal and it was just okay. My wife's shrimp pasta was a lot better! I'm surprised you compared the meal service to CX. Never been on CX, but I guess it depends if you like Asian or European food.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great TR! I had been curious about Air Berlin J myself, so this comes in very handy. Thanks for sharing it, including the useful photos.

A couple of questions:

1. I hadn't been aware that Air Berlin is going fully lie-flat. Any sense of the schedule for this and when the conversion will be completed?
2. Were you saying that, using the USB port, you were able to play movies from your phone/IPad/laptop on the seat screen, or simply that you were able to use the USB port to power your device?

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.