Search

AA + bus to the Titanic Museum, Belfast

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 4:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA + bus to the Titanic Museum, Belfast

Started at SFO with a 0920 departure Monday morning to Chicago on an AA 737-800. Had a 3 hour layover there which gave me time to visit the Flagship Lounge (first class international lounge). Nibbled on some pizza rolls and chicken kebab and washed that down with a Sams Adams. Didn't want to eat too much as I knew I'd be fed well on the Dublin flight.

Nice 767-300 flight to Dublin with an 1830 departure--just walked right out the back door of the lounge to the gate. The woman sitting next to me, a Chicago resident, was on the way to meet her husband in Dublin who is on assignment in Scotland. They were heading up here to Belfast on Thursday to see the Titanic Museum. The flight had a couple empty seats up front.

I selected turkey meatloaf as my main course. This is one of the signature dishes that a name-brand chef puts together for AA (the chef also has a lemon grass chicken dish on the menu). Other choices were ravioli or a shrimp dish. I had read some reviews on this meat loaf dish as I was a little worried. I had recently bought the turkey meatloaf that Costco sells in the Bay Area and didn't care for it, but the AA meatloaf, according to one flyer, is supposed to be 50-50 beef/turkey, and I have to admit the meat itself tasted just fine. It could have used a little more pizzaz like some salsa instead of a weak tomato sauce. I probably would not order it again unless it came down to ravioli or meatloaf.

AA supplies Samsung tablets, like the one I have along with me (not good for lengthy e-mails as you have to use the on-screen keyboard), and I watched The Descendants with George Clooney. Made me want to buy a CD with Hawaiian music once I got off the plane. I had sampled another movie and went to this as my second choice.

Slept 2-3 hours at most and was up 2 hours before landing for breakfast.

Was at the gate at 0830 and at passport control 10 minutes later. Officer working there commented that those with my family name always come back to Ireland. Although he asked the two couples in line ahead of me how long they would be in Ireland, he didn't ask me, probably because I told him I'm back every year.

Hit an ATM for Euros, then across the walkway to the bus zone where it was raining. Took shelter under a bus shelter and caught the 0920 bus to Belfast (just over 2 hours, 23 Euros, about $31RT--a one way ticket was $21). Figured when I come back to Dublin this weekend I'll work my way in from the airport for the cost savings of a round trip. Interesting that the bus I was on, operated by the Irish carrier Bus Eireann, is not allowed to pick up passengers once we cross into the U.K.-- they can only drop off. We did make three stops along the way, the first being in Newry, and I'm convinced the bus driver is trying to gain a slot in the Indianapolis 500. He passed cars, zipped around roundabouts and intersections, and clearly didn't want to waste any time getting up to Belfast. I'm still surprised he didn't take out a street sign or another car.

Once in Belfast about a 20 min walk to the Holiday Inn Express on University Street. Lost my bearings slightly as there are so few street signs here. I knew I was heading in the right direction and just intersected with University a couple blocks further out than planned. Checked in right at noon. Had printed a google map but forgot to download the google city map to my tablet. Have that now.

After a long nap headed into the city in the evening, walking around City Hall, the Europa Hotel which has some history to it (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Hotel,_Belfast ), and a very dead city center. Not many people out and about. Might have rained while I was sleeping as the streets were wet. Stopped in a Kentucky Fried Chicken just before 10 for a chicken breast sandwich, cole slaw, piece of chicken, fries and a Diet Coke for about $8. Checked out a number of restaurants and will probably hit one of those over the next few days for dinner. Botanic Street, which is about 5 mins from my hotel, is packed with cafes, coffee shops (Starbucks and Neros) and markets, so everything I need is pretty close by.

The first 10 photos in this gallery are from my two AA flights:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/American-....4552&k=HNvqSxZ

--more--
Old May 4, 2012, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

After a hot breakfast at the hotel (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, passed on the beans), I was out the door at 0930 Wednesday for a walking tour through parts of the city center, and then across the River Lagan to the Titanic Quarter. I had booked my Titanic Museum ticket on line just before leaving for noon, just to make sure I had a slot, and allowing plenty of time to get there. I arrived at 11, provided my booking number, and picked up my ticket. Hung around until noon using free wi-fi in the lobby and visiting the gift shop.

The museum is very heavy on old black and white video and photos, including the actual video of the Titanic launch 100 years ago. The first section you go through on the second floor features old Belfast including linen and tobacco workers and ship company posters. This section features the old black and white video showing life in Belfast. On arrival on the top floor there is a Disneyesque ride through an attraction where you see ship workers riveting and piecing the Titanic together. At the very end of the tour there is a theatre showing underwater footage of the Titanic as it is today. Most of the photos I took are from the videos and photos. There are also some interactive exhibits with newspaper articles and viewing of items found on and around the Titanic (everything from cookware to shoes). I spent almost 2.5 hours there and it was well worth the visit. There are some dates in the next week that the museum is completely sold out, though those dates center around weekends.

Belfast city view:

Titanic launching 100 years ago:

Titanic at sea:

The Titanic Quarter is where the shipbuilding yards of Belfast are located. Behind the museum there is an outline on the ground and metal poles showing the size of the Titanic. The ship itself is the exact height of the museum to put things in scale.

On the way back to the hotel I stopped at the Odyssey Center which houses a movie theatre and cafes for a chicken tikka wrap. Along the way back to my hotel I passed a well-fortified police station. What is very evident is all the properties for sale or rent--there are signs everywhere. While on the bus up here the driver had the radio on , and there was a report that properties across the Republic of Ireland to the south had lost 45% value over the last couple years, with Dublin being hit particularly hard with losses up to 60% depending on type of property. Clearly Belfast up in The North has not been spared.

Dinner Wednesday night was on tree-lined Botanic Avenue, just a 5 minute walk from my hotel, at Scalini's Italian Restaurant which had red and white checkered table cloths and was listed in my guide book. I had the Scalini pizza for $15 which featured mushrooms, bacon, pineapple, ham, sausage and sweet corn. I had them hold the bacon. Very good and I finished everything except one slice.

Down for breakfast Thursday morning and did cereal, yogurt, toast and a banana. Can't do these full hot meals like I had Wednesday every day.

Titanic Museum photos:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eu....9630&k=5M5RzqX

Belfast city photos (not many there yet--have a bunch to upload still):
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eu....9796&k=59LkxBK
Old May 5, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Very interesting trip report and lovely photos -- pic 80 from Derry is of a store called "Austins" which is the oldest department store in Ireland (both north and south).

On the property market -- you hit the nail on the head, it has been (and likely will be for a few years) in a deep sleep .......

Interesting to see you in my parents home, when I have just sent my mother to your neck of the woods (alebit in Virgin Upper Class).

Enjoy the rest of your trip !!
Old May 5, 2012, 4:29 am

Great report! I heard about the Titanic museum and it was nice to get your first hand account of it. I still can't believe the meatloaf in place of the fillet. I'm sure its not a terrible dish... but thats just wrong.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:10 am

great report!! Just wished that AA would stop serving the CRUDITES with the nuts and return to the marinated cheese antipasto.. but, then again, I just came back from a quick JFK-LHR-JFK flight and the food in business class was really excellent....
Old May 5, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great report, can't wait to see the Titanic Museum my self although from my office in Belfast it's like a giant ice berg in the distance.

Seeing those pics of Botantic and the Dublin road brings back them student days.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ardboe
Seeing those pics of Botantic and the Dublin road brings back them student days.
I feel that neighborhoods with universities tend to have a more lively cafe and restaurant scene. I get that feeling when I'm over in Galway, too, which has a large university population. Was very happy with my hotel and there was an Ibis in a brick building just a block away that could have worked, too. I'm sure I'll be back and I'll combine Belfast with something else, as long as AA has DUB service, though I guess I now have some British Midland options with One World and could ticket into Belfast directly.

My two prior Belfast visits were 10-15 years ago with a backpack, coming across from Scotland and down into Dublin.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It was always fairly lively near the Holylands, although St Patrick's day resembled a war scene. Plenty of new places have come and gone in recent years, even the city center is starting to see a little life.

Hopefully IAG will keep BHD. It will be nice to earn a few miles when connecting out of Belfast.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Started at SFO with a 0920 departure Monday morning to Chicago on an AA 737-800. Had a 3 hour layover there which gave me time to visit the Flagship Lounge (first class international lounge). Nibbled on some pizza rolls and chicken kebab and washed that down with a Sams Adams. Didn't want to eat too much as I knew I'd be fed well on the Dublin flight.

Nice 767-300 flight to Dublin with an 1830 departure--just walked right out the back door of the lounge to the gate. The woman sitting next to me, a Chicago resident, was on the way to meet her husband in Dublin who is on assignment in Scotland. They were heading up here to Belfast on Thursday to see the Titanic Museum. The flight had a couple empty seats up front.

I selected turkey meatloaf as my main course. This is one of the signature dishes that a name-brand chef puts together for AA (the chef also has a lemon grass chicken dish on the menu). Other choices were ravioli or a shrimp dish. I had read some reviews on this meat loaf dish as I was a little worried. I had recently bought the turkey meatloaf that Costco sells in the Bay Area and didn't care for it, but the AA meatloaf, according to one flyer, is supposed to be 50-50 beef/turkey, and I have to admit the meat itself tasted just fine. It could have used a little more pizzaz like some salsa instead of a weak tomato sauce. I probably would not order it again unless it came down to ravioli or meatloaf.

AA supplies Samsung tablets, like the one I have along with me (not good for lengthy e-mails as you have to use the on-screen keyboard), and I watched The Descendants with George Clooney. Made me want to buy a CD with Hawaiian music once I got off the plane. I had sampled another movie and went to this as my second choice.

Slept 2-3 hours at most and was up 2 hours before landing for breakfast.

Was at the gate at 0830 and at passport control 10 minutes later. Officer working there commented that those with my family name always come back to Ireland. Although he asked the two couples in line ahead of me how long they would be in Ireland, he didn't ask me, probably because I told him I'm back every year.

Hit an ATM for Euros, then across the walkway to the bus zone where it was raining. Took shelter under a bus shelter and caught the 0920 bus to Belfast (just over 2 hours, 23 Euros, about $31RT--a one way ticket was $21). Figured when I come back to Dublin this weekend I'll work my way in from the airport for the cost savings of a round trip. Interesting that the bus I was on, operated by the Irish carrier Bus Eireann, is not allowed to pick up passengers once we cross into the U.K.-- they can only drop off. We did make three stops along the way, the first being in Newry, and I'm convinced the bus driver is trying to gain a slot in the Indianapolis 500. He passed cars, zipped around roundabouts and intersections, and clearly didn't want to waste any time getting up to Belfast. I'm still surprised he didn't take out a street sign or another car.

Once in Belfast about a 20 min walk to the Holiday Inn Express on University Street. Lost my bearings slightly as there are so few street signs here. I knew I was heading in the right direction and just intersected with University a couple blocks further out than planned. Checked in right at noon. Had printed a google map but forgot to download the google city map to my tablet. Have that now.

After a long nap headed into the city in the evening, walking around City Hall, the Europa Hotel which has some history to it (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Hotel,_Belfast ), and a very dead city center. Not many people out and about. Might have rained while I was sleeping as the streets were wet. Stopped in a Kentucky Fried Chicken just before 10 for a chicken breast sandwich, cole slaw, piece of chicken, fries and a Diet Coke for about $8. Checked out a number of restaurants and will probably hit one of those over the next few days for dinner. Botanic Street, which is about 5 mins from my hotel, is packed with cafes, coffee shops (Starbucks and Neros) and markets, so everything I need is pretty close by.

The first 10 photos in this gallery are from my two AA flights:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/American-....4552&k=HNvqSxZ

--more--
Do you know what there is a direct flights from SFO to LHR with AA partner BA. Why flying AA via ORD.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AF744garbage
Do you know what there is a direct flights from SFO to LHR with AA partner BA. Why flying AA via ORD.
Can't use AA systemwides on BA flights. I'd be flying in coach on BA.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:11 am

Also did ORD-DUB last month, ate the turkey meatloaf, and caught the bus up to Belfast to visit the Titanic museum.

Would definitely do the bus and the museum again. Also would not do the turkey meatloaf again
Old May 14, 2012, 10:25 am

I did it last year in San Fransisco. I was only coming from Virginia and it was enjoyable. I enjoyed concerts and festivals there, did some shopping and a lot of walking.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

return flights DUB-ORD-SFO

Originally Posted by firstglobal
Would definitely do the bus and the museum again. Also would not do the turkey meatloaf again
Had a great meal for the trip home with beef fillet with mushroom bordelaise DUB-ORD (always have good meals from DUB), and chipotle chicken ORD-SFO at dinner time. Those made up for the so-so turkey meatloaf.

Old May 15, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Nice TR! I really like AA's chipotle chicken. (All things considered, ha!)
Old May 15, 2012, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
As a regular UA flyer, the AA food looks AAmazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.