Wiki Posts
Search

My first Southwest experience. RNO-LAS return

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
My first Southwest experience. RNO-LAS return

As promised to the Southwest Rapid Rewards forum I would post a review of my trip/experience on my first Southwest Flights.

I would be travelling from Reno to Las Vegas for one night with my other half, and my parents who had visited from the United Kingdom to see our home in Reno and our wedding venue in Las Vegas.

Due to my BA Executive Club membership I try to fly American Airlines for domestic USA travel however this was a clear example of a situation where this is not completely viable. After checking flights on AA.com the cheapest options were running at just under $400 per person with a stopover in LAX, whereas Southwest were coming in at $180 person total.

My first impression of southwest.com was that although the flight search was very easy, and showed all the different options/prices for travel on the day the payment page was a nightmare. I still use a UK based (Amex) credit card for most purchases here however no matter how I tried to pay with this on the website it wouldn’t go through for some reason, so I used my Visa card instead which went through on the second attempt.

Overall though simple enough and I booked the flights along with Early Bird Check In for $10 each way. I bought this as I knew I wouldn’t have time to check in at T-24 hours for the return flight.

Our itinerary would be:
RNO – LAS WN1467 Saturday 31st March 0930
LAS – RNO WN564 Sunday 1st April 1800

My parents were staying in LAS for an extra night before connecting through LAX for their return flight to the UK so didn’t book the return RNO – LAS flight on the Sunday.

I checked in for the RNO – LAS flight at T-24 hours and with EBCI was allocated boarding numbers of A24-28.

We woke up and made our way to RNO on Saturday and immediately noticed that it was very cloudy and windy and there was a high wind warning in the area!

Dropped our bags off at the Southwest desk and TSA is a breeze at RNO and took about a minute from joining the queue to picking up our stuff after the metal detector – so ionizing back scatter x-ray machines here!

We had a coffee from a coffee shop in the departure lounge and waited for our flight, and the plan arrived shortly after sitting at the gate.

Boarding was announced and as we were A Group were allowed to board first, however the flight was not very full, both myself and the OH, and my parents had an empty seat next to us and the loading looked to be around 80% maximum.

We took our seats over the wing and the leg room is OK on Southwest flights and generally the seats were comfortable for the short 1 hour flight to LAS.

We had a quick taxi and took off on time into the wind. The climb out of RNO was really quite turbulent, and I would go as far to say was verging on ‘moderate’ turbulence until about 15,000 ft. After about 15,000 the crew was to begin their service although seat belt signs remained on for the full flight.

I took a couple of photos of RNO on ascent.

I looked at the menu which offers a selection of tea, coffee and soft drinks for free along with pretzels or peanuts but you can also purchase other item or alcoholic drinks if you prefer. For this flight I opted for a complimentary, small, cup of orange juice.

Generally the flight was OK, a bit choppy in places as to be expected with the high wind over the area however as always some spectacular views over the desert as we flew down to LAS.

The only other thing I would mention about the flight was that the volume of the PA system was so low that it was impossible to hear what was being said not only during the flight but when the crew were doing the safety demonstration after boarding. I also thought that the crew were generally a bit disinterested but overall a decent enough flight.

We began our descent into LAS on time and were warned about the high wind in the area however the approach was not as bumpy as the ascent out of RNO.

I took some photos of “The Strip” when we were landing.

We landed on time and collected our bags at the carousel before heading to the car rental desk and the hotel.

We opted to stay in the Cosmopolitan Hotel on the strip and had a nice room with a terrace and views over the Bellagio Fountain.

Generally our stay in Las Vegas was very nice.

Overall a nice trip but you have to head home eventually so myself and the OH made our way back to LAS and picked up a boarding pass (A28/29) and checked in our bag.

We picked up some simple Mexican food in the departure lounge which was OK, not very tasty, just OK and boarded.

Takeoff was on time and we had some good views of The Strip and LAS after takeoff.

I opted for a gin and tonic on board for $5 and the flight was good and landed into RNO on time.

Overall my first Southwest experience was good and definitely better than the equivalent LCC in the UK and I will definitely fly them again between RNO and LAS which we do about monthly, although usually drive.

Hope you enjoyed, sorry about the quality of the pictures, camera is fairly dated and the windows on the return flight were filthy!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Glad you got to experience Southwest.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Wonderful photos of both Reno and Vegas from the air!
Glad you tried Southwest...once you know their system, and have the LCC expectations, they are just fine!
Several colleagues will only book Southwest for family-involved travel, since family plans often change several times, and with Southwest you don't pay change fees, and don't lose the money value of the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.