Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Trip Report: Sleepless in Taipei - Cattle Class over Taiwan Strait on CA/CX!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Trip Report: Sleepless in Taipei - Cattle Class over Taiwan Strait on CA/CX!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Talking Photo Trip Report: Sleepless in Taipei - Cattle Class over Taiwan Strait on CA/CX!

I am in the middle of a five consecutive weeks of business travel to five locations in three continents. The first is the Colorlessly Stuck in a Time Trap Trip on UA trip report that I am currently working on finalizing in the next couple of days……as you can see from the photo below that I have been busily trying to finish it at Taipei airport yesterday while waiting for my departing CX flight.

The second trip took place this past couple of days to Taipei, Taiwan. A total of less than 36 hours (most of time were sitting in meetings) spent on the ground, but I did sneaked out of meetings for a few hours trying to see this vibrant city and took over 700 pictures and another 300 pictures on the planes and airports (HKG, TPE and PEK). Just took a quick look of these photos between my boring business meetings and got really excited with the images, and I am eager to start showing these photos in this forum. In the next a few days, I will begin posting photos in this thread. Most of the photos will be in color and some will shown in BW based on lighting conditions . Taipei is so colourful especially at the night markets. In addition to photos of TPE, there will be photos of the newly renovated SQ lounge at HKG and Taipei Shangri-la hotel. This report could potentially have more photos than the 230+ photo trip report I recently completed - Plaza Mayor/Heldenplatz, MAD/VIE, LH & 1st time on Austrian/Adria Airways!

This trip was done flying in cattle class on CA/CX (Air China/ Cathay Pacific), and will be my first trip report in Y. Just to give you a flavour what I went through in cattle class, here is a photo of a 12-day old egg that I chose to take a bite to show you guys what it looked like inside of a 12-day old egg.

Stay tuned!

My other photo trip reports can be accessed by click on the titles below:

Colorlessly Stuck in a Time Trap Trip - Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!
Plaza Mayor/Heldenplatz, MAD/VIE, LH & 1st time on Austrian/Adria Airways!
Time Square Loses its Colors...Not Just Another UA Trip Report!
Godiva, Neuhaus, LH/KA C, CX Wing & SAS Lounge
iPhone Photo Report:PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class
Round-the World on UA (new F Suite), SQ A380/77W (Business), LH 744 (Business) and BD A320 (Business)

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm
Old May 29, 2010, 10:30 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Looking forward to the rest. You are brave to take a bite out of that egg. I have eaten boiled chicken feet and offal casseroles at dim sum places but this type of egg, whether it is 12-day OR 1,000 years old - no thanks.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pre-Departure PEK

Next batch of uploaded photos will be on CA flight PEK-HKG
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On Board of PEK-HKG on CA

Sorry! Between finishing the other Photo Trip Report and flying to Europe, I am behind schedule in posting. Hope things will be back on track now that I am in Europe.

Inside and Ouside of Cabin

City of Macau

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Food and Beverage On Board of PEK-HKG CA Flight

The breakfast menu was 1) Chinese (see photo below), and 2) Western: scrambled egg with hash brown and sausage.

I would have picked the scramble egg, but I thought it would be more interesting to take photo of the Chinese meal for this thread.

As you can see from the package of the egg, the manufacturing date is May 13, 2010. My flight was on May 25.

The packaged pickled vegetable is even order. It was produced on March 27, 2010.....almost 2 months old.

Bread with red bean paste fillings

Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HKG and on Board of CX HKG-TPE Flight

Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Taipei Shangri-La Hotel

View from my hotel room

Breakfast

Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day One Dinner

I arrived in the early evening, and my companion and I scouted the neighborhood for local eateries.

We found a place serving Beef Noodles and northern China Dim Sum with Taiwanese modification.

Chopsticks wrapper shown the eatery 's name and address:

Beef with Noodles

Steamed Breaded Chopped Beef

Spring Onion Pancakes

Pan Fried Dumping filled with Chives and Minced Pork

Dinner was delicious and cost less than US$15 for two.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day Two Banquet

I was in a banguet dinner at a restaurant that was supposed to be affiliated with the National Museum, and couple of dishes were inspired by the artworks that are on display in the museum. Photos of the menu and dishes are posted below:

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 3, 2010 at 11:17 pm
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shilin Night Market Part 1(Black and White) of 3

Next 2 Posts to come:

Shilin Night Market Part 2(Color) of 3
Shilin Night Market Part 3(Food) of 3

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 4, 2010 at 4:07 am
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shilin Night Market Part 2(Color) of 3

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 4, 2010 at 4:10 am
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw
Looking forward to the rest. You are brave to take a bite out of that egg. I have eaten boiled chicken feet and offal casseroles at dim sum places but this type of egg, whether it is 12-day OR 1,000 years old - no thanks.
All I can say is that my stomach has not felt good since taking that bite. I am not sure if it is all the different food and water I have been taking in the last two weeks traveling around the world or it was the 12-day egg effect.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Over 100+ photos posted so far, and I have only received one comment in this thread. I still have another bundle of photos to post....

Let me know what you think, if this is not the type of trip report you like to see. I will try to change the subject matter, location or even cabin of services for future trip reports.

Is it because the location is not a popular FTer destination, airlines/cabin of services, or simply that FTers are more interested in the "flying" and "hotel" aspects of trip reports while the "travel in destinations" types of photos are not the focus?

I am a loytal FTer but relatively new in the Trip Reports Forum. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I just took over 1000+ photos for my trip to Dublin, Ireland this week and has been thinking of doing another photo trip reports similar to this one and other recent ones I did in Madrid and Vienna. Your valuable comments and suggestions will help to prepare my next Photo Trip Report!

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
if this is not the type of trip report you like to see. I will try to change the subject matter, location or even cabin of services for future trip reports.
You shouldn't alter your travel plans or your creativity for other people.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Is it because the location is not a popular FTer destination, airlines/cabin of services, or simply that FTers are more interested in the "flying" and "hotel" aspects of trip reports while the "travel in destinations" types of photos are not the focus?
TPE is not a star alliance hub so you won't find too many FTers who have purchased 75 million US Airways miles (which is, what, 97% of the population?) spending their 0.7 cent per mile/ $999 first class ticket with grandma/pa, their nanny and pets all flying first class adding a free stopover in TPE so they can try a *A carrier in first. Let's face it, there are also other people on Flyertalk who take trips to only fly some airline's first class, eat food at airport lounges, stay at hotels so they can post on Flyertalk while in the club lounges. It's quite sad.

But then there are other FTers who actually fly to a destination because they are seriously interested in the culture, people, and food. Traveling in style is just the icing on the cake. So, make no compromise and keep up the good work!

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jun 4, 2010 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:41 am

Just came across this report, love the photos! Hope I'll be able to visit TPE soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.