Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First (photo-only) trip report: SFO to CDG & HKG via UA F, TG F, LH 744 F & A380 F!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First (photo-only) trip report: SFO to CDG & HKG via UA F, TG F, LH 744 F & A380 F!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
First (photo-only) TR: SFO to CDG & HKG via UA F, TG 77W F, LH 744 F and LH A380 F!

I went on my first ever international first class award in early May, and it was unforgettable. I have all of you wonderful people in the FT community to thank for sharing your wisdom throughout the many years I've been visiting this site. Just a few years ago I likely would've redeemed these miles for a direct SFO-HKG-SFO itinerary. I'm so glad I know better now.

I redeemed 290,000 United miles to book 2 F tickets (since I booked the award in Sept 2010), and my itinerary was as follows:

SFO-FRA (UA F)
FRA-CDG (LH C)
(stop)
CDG-BKK (TG 77W F)
BKK-HKG (TG F)
(dest)
HKG-FRA (LH F)
FRA-SFO (LH A380 F)

When I booked the FRA-SFO leg, it was on a 744, but at the beginning of the year Lufthansa announced that they were going to start A380 service on that route beginning May 10. I got incredibly lucky because my flight was scheduled for May 16 and there were no delays in rolling out the service. It was an incredible experience to be on that brand new plane in such a brand new cabin!

My travel companion is an avid photographer so these are his photos; I do, however, take credit for all the captions. The link I'm posting is the gallery of all of our flights; he also has other galleries posted of our time in Paris and Hong Kong, for those interested.

I hope you enjoy!

http://www.jasonwaltman.com/gallerie...stClassFlying/

Last edited by jonman21; Jul 20, 2011 at 12:38 am
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Wow, what amazing photos! Your travel companion has done a fantastic job and it looks like you both had a good time. It's great that you were able to share this experience.

LH F on the A380 looks very nice indeed, that bathroom is out of this world!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Let me add that the photos are exquisite, very professional indeed, especially those of the food. I guess that it helps having a nice, fast lens for this.
Your friend is very talented, I'm jealous
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, *G (TK), AZ Gold
Amazing photos. Thank you for the way trough the first classes ;-)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:22 am

Love the photos, looks like a very exciting trip it was!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:12 am

Great photographs and looks like a fantastic trip.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Brilliant, just brilliant. For sure you join the top 3 FT photo trip reports challange.
Congrat!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:07 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wonderful - many thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thanks for the trip report. The first seats on the A380 dont look like they offer any privacy?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: BA
Fantastic photos - really like your style of photography of the terminals.
Can I ask what camera do you have, and what editing software to you use?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all of the kind messages, everyone! I'll be sure to pass them along.

Originally Posted by matthandy
Wow, what amazing photos! Your travel companion has done a fantastic job and it looks like you both had a good time. It's great that you were able to share this experience.

LH F on the A380 looks very nice indeed, that bathroom is out of this world!
Thanks so much, matthandy! Your BA trip report is amazing, by the way - new BA First looks fantastic.

The bathroom really was ridiculous! I couldn't believe there were 2 of them for just 8 of us. Having a urinal in there was awesome - and the sink also has an LED light attached to the faucet to let you visually know how hot/cold the water is before you get wet.

Originally Posted by grischtu
Brilliant, just brilliant. For sure you join the top 3 FT photo trip reports challange.
Congrat!
Ooh a photo trip report challenge? How exciting! Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Thanks for the trip report. The first seats on the A380 dont look like they offer any privacy?
I actually preferred the LH A380 F seats to the TG 77W F suites with the sliding doors. It was probably my young TG crew that appeared to be being trained during our flight, but a lot of the time the FAs ignored when our doors were closed and we had the "Do Not Disturb" light on - they'd awkwardly pop their heads over our doors and ask: "Would you like something to drink?" It was odd.

I preferred having the more open space in the LH A380 F cabin - and I didn't feel like there was a lack of privacy because when we put up our electronic privacy sliders, we couldn't see anyone else in the cabin (except if they were getting up to walk to one of the restrooms).

Originally Posted by malkie
Fantastic photos - really like your style of photography of the terminals.
Can I ask what camera do you have, and what editing software to you use?
Thanks! I'll pass your comments along - he has a Nikon D300S and uses a combination of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop to edit photos.

Last edited by jonman21; Jul 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:51 pm
formerly gohima

Ive never liked the A380 from the outside but seeing everyone's first class experience, I might have to give the whale a shot.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Those pictures were absolutely incredible! Looks like you boys had an awesome time too! Can I say "slightly jealous" lol ^
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Great report Thanks

looking forward to our 2nd F run no 380 yet but TG suites great pix
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.