Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Europe to S>Africa. LX (F) & SAA (C) : Upgrade from C to F ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze

This is my First TR, so please be gentle..

I have just got back from a trip to Africa & thought i would make an effort to pay back some of the great advice i have had from here in the past :

As we dont seem to have many LX reviews here, i thought I'd go over the top a little !!!

Leg 1. BHX-ZRH (Booked in C) Fokker 100.

Arrived at Birmingham Airport and after a painless check in made my way up to the Servis Air lounge.

This was quite full, as usual

Leg 1 of the trip was on a Helvetic operated Fokker 100

At the gate, a "gentleman" next to me (he was a bit DYKWIA), was moaning cos he too had a shprt connection for an onward to BKK (You will see why this is relevant in a very short while

Unfortunately, I forgot to put phone in Flight mode, so didn't get any shots, but its a typical F100, reasonable enough for a one hour hop to Zurich.

Due to ATC problems related to the recent Gatwick Lightning incident, my Inbound Aircraft was running an hour and 15 minutes late. This should be interesting I thought, especially as i only have a 1 hour and 10 minute layover !

Upon Landing in Zurich, the No1 came over and said that they had managed to radio ahead and hold the ZRH-JNB flight for me, and that i would be met at the steps by a car to take me the the 343 for my onward !!!

However, Mr DYKIA was told to see Swissport staff inside to arrange hotel accommodation for the night. (See, there IS a reason to be polite!)

Upon seeing a nice Mercedes waiting at the bottom of the steps, and leapt in to be driven AIRSIDE to the waiting aircraft.

LEG 2 : ZRH-JNB . A340-300 (Booked in C)
Upon going up the steps to the airbridge (the "staff" entrance if you will), I was greeted by the Cabin Crew .

The conversation went like this :

CC : "Could i please see your boarding pass"
ME : "Sure, here you go, I'm in 4A"
CC : "Hmm. It looks like someone else is in 4A, let me get the Chef de Cabine"
Boss : Sorry Sir, it looks liek we have let your seat go as you were a no show ; However, we have upgraded you to 1st instead"
Me : <stops himself from whooping> "Thanks very much, 1D it is then!"

The obligatory Legroom shot :

Just prior to take off, a small "Amuse Bouche" of scallop with a Wasabi Mayonnaise was served :

The Menu/Wine List

As it was an overnight trip a lot of photos are a little dark, but i didnt want to offend the other pax with flash. However, i can confirm that the Lamb was the finest i have eaten on a plane. Period.

Quite how they can get lamb that rare on a plane, reheating adn reserving I have no idea.

After dinner, (more food photos are available here if anyone is interested , my bed was made up.

i am 6ft tall, but this was plenty long enough...

Fully flat...Very comfortable, would strongly reccomend.

Overall, the service level I recieved from Swiss was outstanding, from the "Holding the plane" to the OP-UP on board, nothing was too much trouble.

The onboard hard product was good (I have only travelled in F twice, once on TG and once on SQ, and would put this somewhere between the two.

I will post the return leg (C class on SAA) later today (have SOME work to do)

Dukesy
(Please feedback, as this is my first TR on FT)
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Reserved for part 2

reserved
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Reserved for pt 3

Reserved
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Great to hear! I have FRA-ZRH-JNB booked for NYE en route to MRU. You were pleased with "old" F on the 340? I know you said you are 6ft and the bed was plenty long enough. I am a few inches taller...should I be able to get a good night's rest on the way down? I am flying JFK-FRA-ZRH-JNB pretty much in a row, so I am sure I will badly need some sleep on the way south. Thanks! The food looks great. Any comments on the IFE?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:04 pm

I had the lamb as well two weeks ago and it was fantastic, too! Maybe the best food Ive ever had on a plane.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
Lucky fish on the upgrade. Great report, hope you enjoy your experience in South Africa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.