Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Accommodation? Who needs accommodation? An EK MR to the Maldives (3x)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Introduction

This will be a "live" (well, as live at it can be, unfortunately EKs fleet hasn't very much planes with WiFi in board, so it will be more like a lounge-report-live-report) report about my trip to the Maldives, with a slightly different, ummm, schedule, than what other people would do. Plus I'll probably be one of the few single persons on the segments to Male

EK had an astonishing fare in their systems from CMB (Colombo, Sri Lanka) to MLE (Male, Maldives) which I took advantage off. 38700 miles (With Silver bonus) for a R/T in F, for as little as 340 CHF (Swiss Francs, it's around 270 or 380$)

Some other FTers have tooken advantage of EKs generosity as well ^

This will be my program for the next 10 days:

Using my full skills of Paint.NET, I'll also give a text version of it:

ZRH-DXB-CMB (Y) -DXB-MLE (C) -DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB-DXB-MLE-DXB-CMB (F) - DXB-ZRH (Y)

The legs CMB-DXB and DXB-CMB should be in suites when in F, meaning in my 16 flights I'll have: 4x Y, 2x C, 5x F, 5x R (Or whatever EK calles suites)

Of course they might decide to swap a plane or two.. so hopefully not all the flights will be on the same plane.. I doubt a A380 will happen, though

I've just won a new camera at a raffle, which was delivered today, so it will be quite picture (and maybe movie) heavy

Online checkin will be tomorrow, flights starting on Friday. Will update on all interesting and non-interesting things. Including silly questions by immigration officers

I'll add a shortcut to every "update" in this main post, this will grow over time:

1. Introduction
Old May 18, 2011, 5:42 am
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
crazy enough to sound fun! subscribed!!
Old May 18, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Miles & More FT, IC Gold Ambassador, SPG Gold
Thumbs up

YuropFlyer,

You're some crazy .......! ^
Love it
Looking forward to your report!!!
Old May 18, 2011, 2:40 pm
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Have fun with all this madness!

I'll be in DXB this Saturday evening, so perhaps a chance to meet up? (although I'm arriving on GA and leaving on GF, so different terminals I guess...)
Old May 18, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: KL Gold SkyTeam Elite Plus - SEN M&M *G
Hahaha, nice.

*follow modus on*
Old May 20, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

The trip begins

On the way to the airport having a little Snack (hey, they're really calling it that way, the full name is "Chrbli-Snack", lovely combination of Swiss German and English) at the Migros Restaurant. Way too salty.. need something to wash that down!

As I did online checkin, arriving 1.5hrs in advance at the airport is more than enough. Quick through boarding pass control (into Schengen) and then through passport check into the Heidi Train

I noticed an EasyJet plane at the gate, I didn't know they're flying to ZRH again.

And next to it, my Emirates 777-200. It just arrived when I passed security in the E gates after the Heidi run. Beware, some reconstruction under way, but in the evening there isn't much pax anyway.

And it's already time to board.. well, 6 hours Y it is.. start the flow of some baileys, please
Old May 20, 2011, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Quick Update at DXB

ZRH-DXB was completely uneventfull, pictures will be posted later, only having 20 minutes in the lounge. It's quite full but far from a zoo. Breakfast not nice as usual in the Silver lounge, but the all-day sandwichs are always quite nice. Lounge dragons pretty nice, more than I've used to.

Oh, and when we arrived at T1 I thought "great, no walk or bus.."

How wrong I was.. walking all the way to T2 for security (at least no queue) and then back to the lounge.. still, as the incoming bird was almost on time, a bit time in the lounge possible. Internet still very weird behavior, much better outside of the lounge I remember...
Old May 21, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Great TR.

Thanks.

Last edited by VanMan; May 21, 2011 at 5:24 am
Old May 21, 2011, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

DXB-CMB:
Very light load only, maybe 30%. Had a full row for me, slept pretty well given its whY. Breakfast choosen the Sri Lanka version. Spicy! But not bad..

Day in CMB ok but nothing special.. having some more ideas what to do next time there.. now in the lounge in CMB, absolutely nothing special, very slow computers. unfortunately cant use my own notebook as I have no adapter for the British plugs they are using here. What a keyboard.. nevermind, food is pretty decent and while not much alcohol, they have some to choose.. for tonight I will stay with Carlsberg.. next flight CMB-DXB in C, a slight improvement.

Oh, and you should have seen the face of the checkin agent when she saw my booking..

Pictures in Dubai again, cant readout here...
Old May 21, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
You'll be surprised what kind of people you see in F. There were more single people on the flights to MLE than there were couples, at least in F. And the lounge at both CMB and MLE is quite awful, so make the most of the F lounge in DXB!
Old May 21, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ung1

Actually, I don't find the lounge in CMB too bad - the shrimps were pretty tasty, and while most food indeed is not that good, the cheese-tomate baguette do have some taste.. or maybe it's the third Whisky-Cola I am having

Internet is pretty quick, I've figured out to get my own netbook online. Despite the crap resolution, it's much much faster than the Linux maschines they have. And I can charge it again in the plane

Oh, and the shower is actually nice Hilton in the city also pretty awesome, given I wasn't a guest they helped me nicely. So far, besides of course the obvious Tuk Tuk scams, pretty nice in Colombo. They even accepted my worthless Euro Better to get rid of them while they're still worth something.

Back to the lounge, it's not crowded at all. Maybe 15 pax in a lounge which could hold 100-120, so pretty quiet. Too bad no other FTers around.

I really should have taken a picture from the face of the checkin lady.. oh well, still got two more chances to do so

Next stop: DXB C lounge, I doubt they'll let me into F already (despite my F pass from MLE-DXB saying 22nd 11.55pm )
Old May 22, 2011, 10:44 am
Original Poster

CMB-DXB-MLE in C, afternoon/evening in Male

CMB airport:

Food in the lounge in CMB:

Oh well.. despite sleeping a bit in the lounge before in CMB, I must have been very tired. After 3 glasses of cheap Moet, I fell asleep and didn't wake up before the descent. They said they tried to wake me (as I did instruct them) for breakfast, but I must have been sleeping too deep.

Outstand at DXB, but at least one bus for F/C. After taking the Sharjah-Dubai tourbus, eventually arrived in DXB proper. Surprisingly, no security queue, and off into the loun.. zoo! and that with Golds not allowed a guest anymore.. couldn't find an empty table, so had to share one. No big issue, but it was really quite packed, just got worse while I was there.

Breakfast wasn't much more to choose from than in the Silver lounge, or did I went to the wrong place? At least they had salmon (Me I like )

Actually, at the boardingpass check for lounge access, they even suggested to me to go for the Silver lounge, as my flight to MLE was departing from Gate 122. And the internet in the Gold lounge apparently didn't worked for me. My poor Win7 sometimes get issues, maybe because my netbook is just equipped with the starter edition.. in the Silver lounge, it does work.. I hope it will in the F lounge again, or they've some cables.

So I set my alarmclock for 8.30am (departure 9.45am) so that I still could go over to the Silver lounge and grab some food there before departure and check mails.. well, somehow my alarm didn't go off, 9.05am I awaked.. quick rush through T3 and T1 and I made it to the gate around 9.20am, still 10 minutes or so ahead. Of course it has been last call for quite some time.

Why oh Why can't EK do it like SQ? I know their 10min cutoff is pretty tight, but at least there last call indeed is last call, and not 5min after they've opened the gate.

Nevermind, into the plane, another glass of the cheap stuff (one more flight to endure in C...) and about me asking what/when there will be food, I'm most delighted by the answer "Immediately after takeoff, lunch".

Plenty of space in 7A

Now, I've still been tired at this point, so I took the short route. Starter (prawn, ok-ish but not great), salad and main (Ravioli, decent-good)

Unfortunately didn't took any pictures, I really was tired, and immediately after main went into sleep mode again. Slept again great, must love those EK C seats, seriously, despite 2-3-2, they're, just for sleeping, in my eyes at least as good as the new SQ seats (1-2-1)

Waking up in time to do some pictures while descending onto Male. Steward was checking it out as well, he told me it was his first daytime arrival into the Maldives.

Some islands

Quick out of the plane, into immigration and OOOOOPS - EK had forgotten to hand us the immigration forms. Lots of bad comments, and there were some F people there as well. Apparently the cattle class had gotten the forms and now went ahead of us..

5 minutes after them, I followed.. I really get quick at filling those thingies.. of course the immigration lady had some questions, not so many people apparently go for the Maldives and back to the same country.. had to cross "Holidays" on the form, as transit wasn't available in my case.

Male itself doesn't offer that much, at least I found a nice caf with a flatscreen showing the F1 race. 2 Red Bulls, and I didn't feeled tired so far, I'm back to the airport (Ooh, you're checked in already?) and writting this..

NOW, finally, F can start Prepare the Dom.. I'm not tired, haven't had alcohol in over 12 hours and hungry..

The lounge in MLE is, unfortunately, quite dire. Much less food then in CMB (and DXB, of course) - at least 2 of the 3 items are actually good. Worst thing, no alcohol, but I knew that beforehand. The fridge isn't cold, and no showers. Poor crew in F.. at least there will be just one other pax there besides me.. more Dom for me

Oh, I just heard about some vulcano going nuts?
Old May 22, 2011, 11:15 pm

subscribed..^
Old May 23, 2011, 3:56 am

Programs: SPG Gold, A-Club PLATINUM, HHonors Gold, GPP-Gold, BWR-Diamond, PCR PLAT, *Wood P
sounds awesome! can't wait to read more about this crazy routing :-)
Old May 23, 2011, 4:40 am

Great report.. Thanks ...... pics are great as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.