Wiki Posts
Search

BA/AA Jamaica-Las vegas-New York-London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
BA/AA Jamaica-Las vegas-New York-London

This is a TR from my annual Las Vegas trip (computer convention), sectors flown:

ARN-LHR-MIA (BA)
MIA-MBJ (AA)
MBJ-KIN (AA)
KIN-MIA-LAS (AA)
LAS-JFK-LHR-ARN (AA+BA)

The trip begins early morning Wednesday March 16th. The OW lounge at ARN isn't much to talk about but I had a toast, juice and coffee before boarding BA771 07.10am to LHR. Seated in Club Europe seat 2D I was served a breakfast and about 2h later we arrived to LHR. Security was a breeze and I was soon in Galleries First lounge. Now, this lounge has been done to death so I will spare you pictures from it. I had some nice champagne and a shower before making my way to the B-gates.

After boarding the 747-400 I walked upstairs to my favourite seat 62K and was offered a pre-take off champagne. Lunch served and it was a delicious starter, some kind of shrimp salad with fruit.

I can't remember the main course and funny enough I didn't take any picture of it. I believe it was some sort of chicken. I had cheese and crackers as dessert with a good port wine:

After that I put the seat in fully flat bed mode and slept all the way to Miami. Passport control took maybe 15 minutes and then a search for the Hilton shuttle. We soon found it and checked in to our rooms. I really liked the Blue Lagoon Hilton. Nice bed and a cool lounge bar. We went for a quick dinner at Ocean drive and then back for some sleep before the trip to Jamaica.

Thursday morning we took the shuttle back to the airport. This time it wasn't any glamour, a coach trip with AA to Montego Bay. A perk of BA Gold is the option to check in at First so it took only minutes before bags were dropped and I had my boarding card in my hand.

Security was swift and we began to look for the new OW lounge. Sadly it opens at 1pm so an Admirals Club was the only option. I was greeted by the lounge "dragon" by name, a very pleasant experience:

Welcome Mr Lobengula
Mr Lobengula here are some drink vouchers
Mr Lobengula here are a Wifi card

My colleague looked a bit disappointed as he wasn't recognised at all. He didn't receive any vouchers or Wifi as this was an Emerald perk. The lounge itself was good but food was pay only. I had an awful sushi (pre-fab). Admirals Club isn't worth visiting, I rather spend the time in the main terminal.

AA coach isn't very luxurious but at least you can buy food and drinks. Also, the priority boarding always works very well. First F-pax boards, then Priority Access (status), then the rest by group order. Why can't BA get this to work? This was a short ride (B737-800) and after 1.5h the airplane touched down at Montego Bay. From airplane to passport control and luggage collection was about 10 minutes! A USD 30 taxi drove us to Holiday Inn Sunspree resort.

This resort is something called "all inclusive" and we were tagged with a wrist band. I didn't like this at all. Everything served was cheap and always queues. The Red Stripe beer was good but served in small glasses. The resort seemed popular with families though. Lots of kids everywhere. No I didn't like this at all. There were signs saying "no food allowed in rooms"!? Who is the paying guest here? Yes, everything was cheapish and the restaurant had plastic chairs:

Some highlights of Mobay are: Houseboat grill (delicious lobster). Pier One (party!!).

Saturday morning it was time to travel to Kingston with Air Jamaica. As this was a domestic short flight I wrongly assumed that it was enough to be at the airport 1h before departure. Check-in closes (Ryanair style) exactly 1h before departure. We missed it by 5 minutes. As this was the only Air Jamaica flight to Kingston on Saturday we were a bit worried. Luckily we found out that there's another company flying the route (Jamaica Air shuttle). We got two tickets and boarded a charming Beechcraft prop plane. Ok, the ride is a bit rougher especially when flying over the mountains but we got to Kingston. The drawback is that this plane lands at the small "city airport" which is really really small. We were lucky that a taxi was waiting. I got a close encounter to a sleek Cessna Citation, some rich people seem to travel here.

Last edited by Lobengula; Apr 2, 2011 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:30 am
Original Poster

In Kingston we stayed at The Pegasus hotel. I liked this a lot, a cool business hotel with a big pool. It seemed popular with airline staff as well, always a good sign.

Sunday morning and time for the flight to Miami. I had arranged for a taxi driver to take us to the modern airport. The ride took about 20 minutes. Check-in took only minutes and there was a dedicated security check channel for premium pax.

Sadly the lounge is closed and nobody seems to know when it will reopen. Again, priority boarding worked like a charm and we soon boarded the plane to Miami. The flight was about 1.5h. The only problem was that the plane arrived to a very remote gate at Miami. It took about 15 minutes walk/train to reach passport control.

After that we looked for the new OW lounge at E-gates and found it!! An elevator took us up to this elusive lounge. This is one of the better lounges outside London, it's bright and really large. Good food, drinks, showers and wifi. I let the pictures speak for themselves:

Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:33 am
Original Poster

It was soon time to board the AA airplane to Las Vegas. Again the priority boarding worked very well. Why is it so difficult for BA to learn somerthing from AA here? After take-off, lunch was served with a very good salad and shrimps:

Main course was a huge piece of chicken with pasta, it didn't taste very good to be honest

For the dessert I opted for cheese and crackers

Now, AA domestic F beats the crap out of BA Club Europe. I mean, you get priority boarding and real food, nicely presented. Seats are better. Ok, AA (Admirals club) lounge is a pathetic excuse for a lounge but the in-air experience is a landslide win for AA F.

The following week was in Las vegas and you know: "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" so I can't reveal many details. Neeless to say it's not a healthy lifestyle there, look at my light lunch:

I have visited Las Vegas maybe five-seven times and I just love this place. Anything goes. You eat/drink a lot. You can take a trip to a gun range and shoot automatic weapons. Party 24/7 if you're up to it.

The convention ended at Friday and the flight to New York was very early Saturday so as much as I hated it, I was in bed at midnight.

One thing I really, really like about Las vegas airport is the free Wifi. It's such a nice touch and you leave Vegas with a warm feeling.

As usual, AA priority boarding worked great and after take-off a healthy breakfast was served:

We arrived early to JFK Terminal 8 with some hours before the flight to LHR. The neat Airtrain took us to terminal 4 for some shopping. T4 has a small shopping arcade before security and is a good option if you have some time to spare.

The BA J lounge at T8 was very very crowded and not many spare seats to choose from. I looked at the dinner buffet but was to tired to eat, it looked very good though and even apple crumble as dessert.

The trip back to London was uneventful as I slept all the way. A quick shower in Galleries F lounge and breakfast before my last leg to Stockholm.

In conclusion, AA is way better compared with BA when it comes to short-haul premium travel. AA can also manage priority boarding. BA wins the lounge category. Also, BA long-haul premium travel is very good. I can't compare with AA here as I haven't had the opportunity to try them long-haul.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Nice report. I don't care to much for Jamaica (or the entire Caribbean for that matter) and your report only reaffirms that. AA F domestic is quite good and I like the food a lot better than even some F food on BA...

So, how was the convention? Anything interesting?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Nice report. I don't care to much for Jamaica (or the entire Caribbean for that matter) and your report only reaffirms that. AA F domestic is quite good and I like the food a lot better than even some F food on BA...

I was only two days in Mobay and I'm sure you get another feeling if you stay longer. Jamaica was good but it's not as good as South Africa But again, if you stay longer you will probably find the hidden gems.

The convention was great, some good news that will keep me busy this year Now, a computer convention consists of maybe 99.5% guys so the closing party wasn't that fun
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by henkybaby

Nobody who cares about Jamaica. I know what happened in KIN is a drug lords. This is not real safe for you at all. I think he had a great trip to KIN/MBJ & LAS, too. He haven't been in Caribbean before. You worried about drugs lords in KIN. Just stay away from bad guys on the streets.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nice report Lobengula. ^

Yes AA F looks okay although nothing is free in economy or in the lounge from what I gathered?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice report, thanks for sharing ^

I have to say though, that I disliked the look of the new lounge at MIA. It hardly looks like 'one of the better' outstation lounges. Not really a BA/QF/CX beater, even when considering their outstations.

I assume you mean T7 for BA JFK departures?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Great report Lobengula, thanks for sharing^
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
While I agree that AA F product is in some ways better (domestic) when compared to CE - AA doesn't serve any meals outside of key meal times... service can be very spotty...
If you compare BA CE to other European competitors - they are actually miles ahead of AF, LH, LX etc with their economy seating with middle seat blocked - at least CE has adjustable seat width...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
P.S.

Oops - where are my manners - thanks for a wonderful TR and a great read!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avm2806
P.S.

Oops - where are my manners - thanks for a wonderful TR and a great read!
Thank you avm2806 and all you other that gave feedback to the TR ^ This is very appreciated and a major reason why I post TR's.

As for AA, their domestic F should be compared with BA Club Europe. I suspect that it can be more complicated as AA also offers F cross continent (LAX-JFK). Maybe this F (while domestic) is more comparable with International F?

AA doesn't serve any meals outside of key meal times...
Is this really correct? I have always had something to eat in AA F except on very short flights. Have I been lucky to hit the correct time slots?

I'm a BA fan for many reasons but AA domestic F is way better than BA Club Europe. Mostly because of the seat. Food is more substantial on AA but as I don't eat a lot when flying this isn't so important to me.

As for service I call it a draw. You can get a fantastic crew on both AA or BA, or you can get a somewhat tired one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.