Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Continental Tokyo - Guam - Honolulu NRT - GUM - HNL

This was a reward ticket using US airways miles

NRT - GUM, Narita - Guam, Continental Flight 964
Class: International Business
Aircraft: 767-400
Seat: 2A

Although using the same aircraft as BusinessFirst, this is marketed as international business. The seats are recliner style and there is plenty of leg room for this slightly over 3 hour flight. There were no printed menus, the headsets were same as economy class not the nicer ones provided on the subsequent flight that had BusinessFirst service. The provided pillows and blankets were smaller and worse quality than on the subsequent flight.

Food: Choice of pork loin or salmon for dinner. No printed menus were given. I had the salmon which was okay.

AV: Movies are on a continual loop and not on demand. There was a problem with the sound on the movie were every few seconds about half a second would be dropped. This problem persisted despite switching headsets.

Overall impression: Better than most domestic first flights in the U.S. because of the seat but overall not a very impressive product.

Continental President’s Club, Guam

Landing around 2 am and had about a four hour layover before the next flight.
I spent some of the time in the president’s club. Overall very disappointing, particularly in comparison to the ANA business lounge in Tokyo. Very minimal food was available. No showers were available. I didn’t have a laptop, so didn’t ask about free wi-fi but there were no lounge computers available for use. Difficult to kill any time here. There was very little to do in the rest of the airport in the early morning hours other than a few shops.

GUM - HNL, Continental Flight 2
Guam - Honolulu, Continental Flight
Class: BusinessFirst
Aircraft: 767-400
Seat: 2A

Although this was the same type of plane, it wasn’t the identical aircraft to that flown from Tokyo. Sorry about not having any pictures.

Menu
Appetizer and Warm Breads
Fresh seasonal fruit and yogurt.

Assorted breads including croissants, wheat raisin rolls and muffins with butter and strawberry preserves.

Main course

Omelette and Mixed Grill
Savory tomato concase omelette with a mixed grill of chicken breast, grilled pork tenderloin, and chicken apple sauage, broccoli florets and grilled Roma tomato

French Toast
Vanilla raisin French toast with grilled peach wedge and maple syrup, grilled Canadian bacon and pork sausage.

Brunch Grill
Pork fried rice with egg and vegetables accompanied by grilled pineapple and a brochette of Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, cherry tomato and zuccini

Selected Cereal
Served with mild, strawberries and a banana

Fresh Brew gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee mad exclusively for Continental Airlines, hot chocolate or a selection of teas with your choice of milk or lemon.

Enjoy a cup of freshly brewed Emilio Caffe Italian Espresso or Cappuccino available exclusively in BusinessFirst on our 777 or 767 aircraft.

I had the French toast which was done nicely.

Skysnacks
A selection of light snacks and refreshments

Movie Treat
Baked on board cookies with milk or choice of beverage

Pre-arrival refreshment
Fresh seasonal fruit
Chicken Sandwich
Sliced grilled breast of chicken with bacon and Swiss cheese on an herb roll served warm with red potato salad

Chocolate

Fresh Brew gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee made exclusively for Continental Airlines, hot chocolate or a selection of teas with your choice of milk or lemon.

I had the chicken sandwich which was fairly good.

Overall impression: Better than the flight from Tokyo, and an interesting example of what a better soft product can do to improve the same hard product. The improved food service, better pillows and blankets made for a more enjoyable flight. I have flown BusinessFirst before in 2007 to Argentina and from what I remember felt the food service was more impressive at that time although it’s difficult to compare a breakfast to dinner service.
However, not having the entertainment system be on demand is a serious negative. Although marketed as a hybrid between business and first it doesn’t seem any better than the typical airlines business class, particularly with the lack of a lie flat seat.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Great TR, thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Little food, no wifi or computers (which doesn't make any sense these days)? That would be tough, regardless of the time of day. Thanks for the TR. ^

Originally Posted by greg999
I spent some of the time in the president’s club. Overall very disappointing, particularly in comparison to the ANA business lounge in Tokyo. Very minimal food was available. No showers were available. I didn’t have a laptop, so didn’t ask about free wi-fi but there were no lounge computers available for use. Difficult to kill any time here.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Does the CO GUM-HNL flight have an amenity kit?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Does the CO GUM-HNL flight have an amenity kit?
Yes, they do. HNL-GUM as well (non-stop flt).
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I don't get why CO Micronesia's product is so weak (IMHO), especially when compared to a LAX-HNL flight on CO. This report confirms it. No menus. No AVOD. One-tray service...

Thanks for your report, greg999!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.