Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sun Country First Class MSP-SFO gives DL a run for the money

Sun Country (SY) 397
MSP-SFO
June 17, 2010
737-800
First Class
Seat 1A

Three grueling days and 1,100+ highway miles wrapped up late Thursday in MSP. As much as I like going home on AA and want the EQMs, I just want the fastest way home and tonight. Cheaptix shows Sun Country (who?) with a 9:10PM nonstop and a First Class fare of only $475. Sun Country? First Class? I'm game and a no brainer as DL wants $1,100 for the one remaining First seat on their 9:20PM, and as a lowly Plat, I'm not taking my chances getting the last UG and enduring four hours of DL coach on an old NW no wifi 757 at $675.

Still 100 miles from MSP and in the middle of T-storms and a tornado warning at 6:30PM, a pleasant MN based agent confirms the poor man's sleeper seat bulkhead window 1A on SY397. Now if I can only find the right terminal. To my surprise, shocking progress in the Twin Cities as the stupid Humphrey and Lindbergh terminal signs are gone, replaced by signs showing airline names and terminals. @:-)@:-) Especially nice, considering the terminals are on opposite ends of the airport and indeed have their own highway exits (possibly even different area codes).

A deserted T2 home to Southwest, Icelandair, AirTran and "The Hometown Airline"

First Class check-in... no line and no agent. Oh well, at least there were separate banks of kiosks.

However, primitive kiosk system can't find my reservation when I swiped my CC, but needed me to input my first and last names before it located my PNR. BP shows 1A but no other indication that it is F.

No wait security with a dozen people on line. But a priority line for AirTran and SY First pax gets me to the head of the line. Two stations open and I am the only person at my line. A deserted terminal, with basic small terminal amenities including a pleasant looking bar/restaurant

Our gate with $119 Buy Up to First sign.

Boarding First Class, exit row, FF members and those that need extra time. But pleasant GAs and FAs.
Somewhat tired 738 but some of the most plush and comfortable domestic seats you will find on any airline.

Three rows with 39" pitch. In full recline, 1A was very comfy with just enough room to use the bulkhead as a footrest although 6'+ might find it just a tad tight.

Ancient IFE system. Didn't try it or see if it worked, but questionable considering that most of the channel lights were burned out.

PDB G&T, none of this AA water-only BS, and then only if we have time and aren't talking to other FAs.

738 next to us, just arrived from ANC

And the Winter 2010 edition of the inflight magazine. Perhaps it's true what they say about Minnesota... there are two seasons, winter and July. Although 87 degrees sure didn't feel like winter to me. Get me back to SF and naturally frigid summers.

Flogging of First Class upgrades continued during and after boarding. Much to my chagrin, one guy ponied up the extra $119 and naturally picked 1B beside me.

Pushback 10 minutes early, a short taxi to the top of runway 17 where we were #1 for departure directly towards a pitch black thunder and lightning show maybe 5 miles south of the airport. OK, perhaps there is a reason that no other plane is departing tonight. Sharp right turn to avoid and bypass (most of) the activity with only 30 seconds of major "what the F*** have I done" rock, roll, drop turbulence before we escaped the weather.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 25, 2010 at 7:05 am
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Prompt post departure beverage service in real glasses, apparently a recent service upgrade, with cheese and cracker service. Although catering forgot to load my G&T limes tonight.

Another G&T and dinner/snack service, described by our FA as "a sandwich". Delivered directly from the galley by a pleasant hard-working FA. Weak presentation, but the chicken, spicy cheesy sauce thingy under the bun was pretty tasty. Then again I hadn't eaten since noon so I really don't know if it was good. But any meal service on a post 9PM mid-con departure is a pleasant surprise. Full size utensils were obviously purchased in bulk from Costco and the FA had trouble keeping them from falling on the floor as she carried them back to the galley.

Surprising dessert, a very tasty lemon cheesecake, and giant fork.

A little rough around the edges at times but for the price, great value compared to DL. Limited frequency and schedule makes it more of a leisure airline, unless one gets lucky and they happen to be going where and when you want. This single daily flight returns as a red-eye and has limited appeal.

All in all, a pleasant 4 hour flight which got me home and in bed before midnight.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 7, 2010 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wow. They've really upgraded their First Class product.

Great TR. For the DL vs. SY decision you had, I think you made the right choice.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Very interesting TR on a less-known US airline. Just had a look and their flying to STN! Would be a long flight in a 738...
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:32 am
Company Representative - Sun Country Airlines

Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate your review of our service at Sun Country Airlines. We have been working to improve it and I am glad that you had a satisfactory experience. I hope you have another occasion to fly us as everyone at SCA appreciates your business.

To the other poster who commented about the Stansted - I flew our inaugural trip from Minneapolis last weekend and can tell you the trip was short and fun. 3.5 hours to Gander for fuel, 45 minutes on the ground, and 4.5 hours to London. You can deplane in Gander and go to the gift shop, have a smoke, or watch the Twins game on satellite TV.

Some of the passengers didn't want to leave because the game was at the top of the ninth. Sorry, we had to go or risk losing our track across the Atlantic. Coach customers received complimentary meals and beverages on both legs. FC passengers had even more. We also had portable DigiPlayers on board with movies, tv shows, music, videos, games, cartoons, etc. Complimentary in FC and $10 in coach. Everyone loved the flight.

We leave every Friday and return on Sunday through August 15. one way tickets are approximately $450 in coach. An FC upgrade is $250 and worth it.
You won't find a cheaper and better experience across the Atlantic. And Stansted is served by RyanAir and easyJet for great connections to Europe too.

Stan Gadek
President & CEO
Sun Country Airlines
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome to FT Stan! Perhaps the first time that an airline CEO has (openly) posted on FT.
As you can tell from my TR, I was quite impressed with the service and would certainly fly SCA again if timing works out. I like your commitment to provide a First Class cabin at a reasonable price, and hope you continue to expand and do well. BTW, I love the "Hometown Airline" tag reminding everyone that you are now indeed the only hometown airline. ^
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:27 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thank you SFO777 for this great report. Sun Country is a gem of an airline and back in 2007 I had the opportunity to sample its F and Y products. It seems that F has been nicely upgraded since the last time I flew them. I even wrote this report about my experience. I must say that SY's FA's are some of the friendliest and professional crew that I have encoutered.

I like the comment from Stan Gadek here. It's an effortless and classy touch from his part.

Last edited by aw; Jun 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sgadek
I appreciate your review of our service at Sun Country Airlines. We have been working to improve it and I am glad that you had a satisfactory experience. I hope you have another occasion to fly us as everyone at SCA appreciates your business.

To the other poster who commented about the Stansted - I flew our inaugural trip from Minneapolis last weekend and can tell you the trip was short and fun. 3.5 hours to Gander for fuel, 45 minutes on the ground, and 4.5 hours to London. You can deplane in Gander and go to the gift shop, have a smoke, or watch the Twins game on satellite TV.

Some of the passengers didn't want to leave because the game was at the top of the ninth. Sorry, we had to go or risk losing our track across the Atlantic. Coach customers received complimentary meals and beverages on both legs. FC passengers had even more. We also had portable DigiPlayers on board with movies, tv shows, music, videos, games, cartoons, etc. Complimentary in FC and $10 in coach. Everyone loved the flight.

We leave every Friday and return on Sunday through August 15. one way tickets are approximately $450 in coach. An FC upgrade is $250 and worth it.
You won't find a cheaper and better experience across the Atlantic. And Stansted is served by RyanAir and easyJet for great connections to Europe too.

Stan Gadek
President & CEO
Sun Country Airlines
Nice Trip Report to the OP!

Stan, its great to see a quality first-class product offering at a reasonable price. I think the rest of the industry should take notice and would find their cabins filling up with paying customers more often! ^
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Great trip report! I am very impressed with SY's first class product. I had never even considered them as a viable option in the past. Perhaps it's time to reconsider in the future.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Interesting report, SFO777! I'd only heard of Sun Country in passing before reading your trip report, and I certainly don't recall ever reading another trip report about them, which makes yours all the more unique.

The hard product looks a little worn out, and I'm in agreement with you that the soft product too looks a little out of place, but it seems on a par with other more major airlines in the US!

For a flight of 4 hours, the catering does seem fairly limited, although I understand that is pretty much the norm in the US? Flights of that length in Europe would typically have a small starter, choice of two full hot main courses, a cheese plate and dessert.

Also interesting to see the CEO posting!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks again Genius1. I'd forgotten about this one.
A lot of the meal service in the US is based on competitive factors, although AA is much better and more consistent that any other US airline. Hot and generally excellent meals on flights as short as 600 miles. Funny, but I enjoy AA midcon meals more than transcon meals.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
I'm giving them a try tomorrow DCA to LAN to visit family. Finally -- a "full size" plane non-stop to LAN ^

Checked in at 24 hrs and bought up to first for $45. Since I was going to check a bag at $20, and now that bag is free, really only $25 for 1-1/2 flight ... Bigger seat plus a drink!?! Oh boy

Looking forward to a non-legacy and if they are good they will continue to get my business for at least a couple trips there a year. Oh - and the ticket was quite a bit cheaper than UA or AA when I booked maybe a month out. I'll report back.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JenGal
I'm giving them a try tomorrow DCA to LAN to visit family. Finally -- a "full size" plane non-stop to LAN ^

Checked in at 24 hrs and bought up to first for $45. Since I was going to check a bag at $20, and now that bag is free, really only $25 for 1-1/2 flight ... Bigger seat plus a drink!?! Oh boy

Looking forward to a non-legacy and if they are good they will continue to get my business for at least a couple trips there a year. Oh - and the ticket was quite a bit cheaper than UA or AA when I booked maybe a month out. I'll report back.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by Sgadek

Stan Gadek
President & CEO
Sun Country Airlines
Wow...I had no idea this service was starting! ^ Are there plans to expand departures from other US cities?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thanks. Have also been curious about SY. "PDB G&T, none of this AA water-only BS, and then only if we have time and aren't talking to other FAs." Bravo! So true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.