Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

can you carryon or check live maine lobsters?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can you carryon or check live maine lobsters?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Ferrari- the shipping and paying retail is what drives the price up to insane proportions. If I can't do this inexpensively I am not going to do it at all.

Alanh- thanks for the idea! I use frozen peas as ice packs on bumps and scrapes, they work really good!

I was told you can buy lobster at BOS as well, but I will be arriving at the airport at 3am when all is closed up tight. I wish I could find out the prices there though.

I may just wait until I move down there and pack a big cooler full and load it with ice. The drive will take no more than 2 days, plenty of time to keep em fresh on ice. Also would be a great incentive to get friends to come help unload the truck on arrival! Heck I would always help friends move with a promise of lobster & beer!

Went to a place in Arundel, ME today- Lobster dinner was $10 and twin was $15! They have this every Sunday in August evidently. It was really good!

My cousin said lobster is around $80 in restaurants in Atlanta area and not very tasty or fresh compared to what you find here.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
My question is... can they go through the x-ray or do you need to carry them through the magnetometer like a pet? And, could you have them declared "service lobsters"?

Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
My question is... can they go through the x-ray or do you need to carry them through the magnetometer like a pet? And, could you have them declared "service lobsters"?

only a pet if you give them names . but seriously, it's x-ray for the little critters
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thats it, I am getting a note from my doctor that they are service lobsters helping my flight anxiety. The only thing that helps is having the lot of em under my seat and then freshly steamed promptly upon landing!

I will even bribe him with one or two of my service lobsters so he can have some of his own!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: DL FO, AA Ex. Plat, UA 1K
I can't believe someone hasn't said this yet.

LOBSTERS ON A PLANE!!!1
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Come on - we've got to post 20 and no-one has mentioned seafood allergies?

And should this be in Travelbuzz, TSS or Travel with Pets?

(Loving the idea of service lobsters)
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
come on, 21 posts and not a single reference to Homer Simpson's pet lobster, Pinchy? Hey, you, too, can buy a little 1/2 pound lobster and raise it to a reasonable eating size!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:58 am

Citizen Snips

What about a half bushel of blue crabs? Preferably, soft shell. Has anyone had experience transporting them as a carry-on?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
Just make sure the airline doesn't consider them as pets and charge you a pet fee .
That's was my initial impression as well. If they are live, don't they need to go through the same procedures as someone bringing their cats or dogs?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
That's was my initial impression as well. If they are live, don't they need to go through the same procedures as someone bringing their cats or dogs?
I would commit lobstercide right at TSA if they were gonna do that!!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos

Damn you beat me to it, and by a long time too! I'll just add the clip that comes to mind..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU39sqEQOms
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
My cousin said lobster is around $80 in restaurants in Atlanta area and not very tasty or fresh compared to what you find here.
I must say you are very picky for Lobster dining. And I mean that in a complimentary manner. Good for you and anyone else whose a savy seafood diner. ^
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kukukajoo
I was told you can buy lobster at BOS as well, but I will be arriving at the airport at 3am when all is closed up tight. I wish I could find out the prices there though.
The place is Legal's seafood. The one I'm thinking of is pre-security, though Legal's is big in Boston, so there's a good chance there's another one post-security. Plus they advertise live lobsters for sale so I'm assuming they have a way of getting them past security (possibly you buy it at the restaurant and they deliver it on the other side of security? No clue). I know I saw people in the United terminal, where I didn't see a Legal's post-security, with Legal's lobster boxes.

They are either $16/pound or $17/pound. Painful when comparing to $4/pound...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

I will call tomorrow to see what the airline says and I will post the response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.