Reload this Page >

please help - travel addict banned from travelling by wife

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

please help - travel addict banned from travelling by wife

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AirFranceKLM Platinum 4 life, Philippine Airlines Mabuhay, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Accor
Travel addiction illness???

Sometimes I think I'm addicted to travel. Anyone else here feels the same? Is this travel addiction an illness? Am I sick??? Should I see a doctor urgently? Who knows the answer here?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman2010
Sometimes I think I'm addicted to travel. Anyone else here feels the same? Is this travel addiction an illness? Am I sick??? Should I see a doctor urgently? Who knows the answer here?
If you are wanting to be cured, Flyer Talk is the wrong place for you

OTOH, it is great to feed travel addicts (and make it more affordable/comfortable).
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Seeing as The Flying Dutchman is a ghost ship, it may be too late to see a doctor.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Take a break, focus your attention on something else, come back and enjoy some more
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:51 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'm on a reduced travel break... one of the best ideas I've had in a long time. I've forgotten how great it is to live in a tropical island.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was feeling somewhat hopeless and at a loose end, like every day and week coming up was the same until I booked a trip today. Now I have something to focus on, and plan on, and look forward to
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman2010
Well, per my usual response: you've just found the support group.

OTOH, is it an addiction, or a habit? I usually joke that "I work to support a travel habit," but I can quit any time I want to (and have, at times, for financial reasons. I just don't want to.)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like you either need a new drug or a new wife.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Had a similar issue as I married last year with a significant redirection of funds from $13k & 75k mi flown to $2k & just 1 family trip. While it's tough & very aggravating to adjust, ultimately my family comes first & I am glad I could've done as much as I did for as long as I did. Redirecting the planning & funds attentiveness to family has proven equally satisfying. Now let's hope my kids have the travel bug, too, so we get back on the horse .
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
This was a good thread. Thanks for exhuming it; let's see if anyone else contributes, or if it returns to the slumber of ages.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
This was a good thread. Thanks for exhuming it; let's see if anyone else contributes, or if it returns to the slumber of ages.
I reread it and enjoyed it, too, though clearly I followed it and contributed to it back when I began. Sadly, my quick skim of the OP's posting history didn't seem to offer any insights into how things played out.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Unless I missed it, there was never a solution or compromise?

FWIW I don't believe in either spouse dictating what the other can do. If it's at that point, a marriage counselor and/or attorney would be consulted.

We travel together and we travel separately. Forbidding? Not in my lifetime.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Interesting thread. I'm surprised I didn't come across it years ago when it was fresh. My situation is not exactly like the OP's but there are a few elements in common.

My observations are:

1) OP seems to have an addictive behavior. While it's far from the most destructive addiction out there, OP would benefit from seeking professional counseling on it.

2) OP displays no understanding of his wife's concerns. I'm not sure he can even identify them, let alone understand them. This is a major communications gap. The fact that it's gone on so long makes me think the problem is beyond simply, "Sit down and talk to each other." They need couples counseling.

3) The suggestion that OP lie to his wife about his trips is a terrible idea. Such a breach of trust is not how one builds or maintains a successful, long term relationship.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I took some me time and booked a trip for myself and went without my wife. It was awesome me time. I needed it. I paid for it when I got back though
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

plenty of people, including americans, travel with their kids everywhere, and i mean everywhere, on all budgets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.