Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Round trip, 2-stop flight: A -> B -> C -> D: Possible to get off at C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

[First, I am new to this forum and if this is not an appropriate topic or is posted in the wrong category, I apologize.]

The situation I find myself in is as follows, with letters for city names, which I hope isn't too confusing: A few weeks ago, I booked a (non-refundable) ticket to fly, with two layovers, from A -> B -> C -> D, to a visit a relative who lives in D. Since then, an unexpected opportunity opened up for my relative and he will have moved to a city about 4 hours drive away, E, by the time I visit. (Which will be in about a month.)

I called the booking agency, Orbitz, about changing the flight to be a flight to E...but the fare is higher, and there are fees, so all told, it would cost almost $500 to change it, which is a non-starter for me.

So I'm thinking I'll have to take a bus to E. Now, C and D are both roughly the same distance from E...so what I would like to do, is just skip the last hop of my flight, (C -> D) since it doesn't actually get me any closer to my new destination. Also, C is a larger city than D and would have buses leaving more frequently, etc. And I'd probably want to start my return journey from C as well.

But I've heard that if I skip the last hop of my flight like that, the airline might cancel my return ticket! Is this true? If so, do you think there's any chance I could convince either Orbitz, or perhaps the airline directly, to cancel the last leg of the trip at no additional cost to me?

What would you guys recommend?

TIA
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Yes, it's true. Skip any segment, and all following segments on your itenary automatically cancel.

Count on flying to D if you want a return to be there.

And- absolutely don't try to show up to C on your return and get on. You're going to have to start at D to get home.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Welcome to FT, jcreigh. Is your return on the same record locator as the original A-B-C-D trip? If so, the airline will cancel your return and unfortunately, I don't think calling either Orbitz or the airline directly will give you much help, as they'll both tell you it'll be the change in fare plus the change fee.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Ah, so it's just as I feared. Well, not what I was hoping for, but much better to find out now than when I tried to fly back.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.