Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secrets of Luggage Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Secrets of Luggage Theft Prevention

In those cases when you must check a bag and carry things that you can't afford or don't want to lose, some of these methods or combination thereof will lower the theft risk.

The secrets of theft prevention:

- inconspicuous bag (Louis Vuitton and Rimowa need not apply)
- make entry a little bit harder than an unprotected bag
- use "broken seal" method to tell if luggage was tampered with
- Include note, that says you have a list of contents and photos
- Use carry-on only!

The bag itself should be inconspicuous. My big Rimowa gets opened all the time; 50-50 chance. So far nothing was missing but I had instances where no note was left yet somebody clearly went through my stuff.

If you do get locks, get TSA approved locks with the SEARCH ALERT feature. Sometimes this feature is also called TRAVEL SENTRY. Only few locks have that feature. It shows you when the lock has been opened. If it has been opened, you want to open your bag right away to check for the TSA notice and any missing stuff. Don't use TSA locks without this feature.

If you don't have these special locks, use COLORED cable ties instead. They will have to cut them and it is unlikely that they have the exact replacement color at hand. Thus you will notice easily.

There are also luggage straps with the Search Alert feature. The best one being the Pacsafe model.

In addition you can get so-called Tamper Tab seals. Check them out online.

Finally, you can apply tape around the zipper. This will protect the zipper from damage and from being pried open. Seal the bag, as they will likely not have the same tape on hand. It will make your bag easily recognizable. It will make entry just a little harder. It is cheap and quick.

I also include a note that is immediately seen when one opens the suitcase. The note says: "I have a complete list of the contents and photos of the packed bag. If you opened this suitcase, please leave a note". This might be a deterrent because it means you can actually prove that a certain item was packed and is now gone. With a digicam this is easy to do and free.

Additionally, avoid packing metal boxes and cables and battery-driven devices, especially packed closely together. This might give them a reason to open your bag.

See here for a list of stuff that looks suspicious and will increase the chances of your bag being sorted out for inspection:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...spicious+items

If you can, travel only with carry-on luggage. I still have some zip-ties with me for the unlikely event that i need to gate check my bag.

Very finally, it makes sense to arrive at the baggage claim as early as possible and to stand so that you can see where the bags come out. This will lower the chances of somebody running off with you luggage who was standing in your blind spot.

What are your theft prevention methods and tips?

Addendum: On OBOW, where I posted this originally, someone said to take no valuables and someone else said to only use carry-on. Below is my response to these points to avoid similar injections here.

Problem is if you have really nice clothes. I know of many people where almost no matter what they wear any given day, the outfit would cost $2k. In addition, I think if you have a back-up of the computer it is easy to replace the machine. But I never found a suitable replacement for a fantastic Issey Miyake (Japanese designer) trench coat that was stolen long ago. I still get mad to this day.

I didn't give the example but one could transport an old porcelain tea pot or a piece of electronic equipment where the item either doesn't fit in hand luggage or is too heavy to carry. So getting them on the plane with you is not an option.

Obviously, my advice is for the cases in which there is theft to prevent. It is self-evident, that if you don't care to lose something or it is not desirable, then theft prevention will not be an issue.

Till

Last edited by tfar; Dec 18, 2009 at 7:25 pm Reason: added suspicious item link and blind spot remark
Old May 24, 2009, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel around the world with a nylon duffel bag with a zipper, no locks. Anything of true value travels in my carry on.

I have had nothing stolen from my luggage. Ever.
Old May 24, 2009, 4:54 pm

my tricks involve making your bag look cheap, ugly or flamboyant...

1. avoid buying really fancy luggage, airport crooks already know what "samsonite" is. borrow some old but still study luggage...

2. avoid those cheap combination locks, the ones where you pick 3 digits between 0 to 9...if you are going to use a combi lock, use a dudley (like the ones on a locker)

3. jazz up your luggage to make it stand out, and look more ugly:
-rope it up
-tonnes of duct tape, or get that plastic wrapping/band service that some airports sell
-cheap plastic ribbons tied to the handle to make it stand out...
-give your cheap suitcase a paint job w fabric paint...or put some fabric patches of your favorite music acts on it...
-get suitcases with floral printing on them...
-get tonnes of bumper stickers if its a plastic shell style case...
-make the suitcase look like it belongs to a kid... any barbie or pokemon stickers will do...or borrow your kids luggage if they arent flying with you

do anything to make your bag stand out, theives will most likely avoid bags that belong to broke or broke looking people...and they tend to draw a bit more attention which is the last thing a crook wants...

read this http://lifehacker.com/5259519/

Last edited by shiv666; May 24, 2009 at 5:08 pm Reason: url
Old May 25, 2009, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Interesting, so one of your methods is to make the bag so NOT inconspicuous or so ugly that anyone who is seen near the bag will be noticed.

That is certainly a valid method. It wouldn't work for me, as I am aesthetically to sensitive for that but I can see how it can be a good idea in other cases.

Till
Old May 25, 2009, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by tfar
Interesting, so one of your methods is to make the bag so NOT inconspicuous or so ugly that anyone who is seen near the bag will be noticed.

That is certainly a valid method. It wouldn't work for me, as I am aesthetically to sensitive for that but I can see how it can be a good idea in other cases.

Till
the ugly factor helps thieves move along... it also helps me (the owner) spot it at the baggage claim...i always get my bags plastic wrapped when i can or if i dont think the bands of duct tape will do...

an idea to help you may be to slap some orange "overweight" or "heavy" stickers and baggage tags onto your stuff..they are easy to remove...try and convince the check in staff to slap some on, or try to get some online...whos going to steal a heavy (appearing) suitcase? they will get ignored. no one likes to handle them, not even the suitcases owner :P
Old May 25, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by shiv666
the ugly factor helps thieves move along... it also helps me (the owner) spot it at the baggage claim...i always get my bags plastic wrapped when i can or if i dont think the bands of duct tape will do...

an idea to help you may be to slap some orange "overweight" or "heavy" stickers and baggage tags onto your stuff..they are easy to remove...try and convince the check in staff to slap some on, or try to get some online...whos going to steal a heavy (appearing) suitcase? they will get ignored. no one likes to handle them, not even the suitcases owner :P
^^

And I thought I was the only one!
Old May 25, 2009, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chatmax
^^

And I thought I was the only one!
Fantastic ideas here - very good indeed^^^
Old May 25, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I regularly get the airport bus into town and get to have a look at plenty of people's luggage in the process. One bag had manufactured (i.e. not home made) tags that said "Not Worth Taking". I wondered exactly how pointless this was. On a scale of 1-10, I thought the scale was probably not long enough.
Old May 25, 2009, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H
I regularly get the airport bus into town and get to have a look at plenty of people's luggage in the process. One bag had manufactured (i.e. not home made) tags that said "Not Worth Taking". I wondered exactly how pointless this was. On a scale of 1-10, I thought the scale was probably not long enough.
yeah...thats not a good tactic...you gotta imply or suggest that its not worth taking in a more natural fashion, you cant just declare it...

thats like a celeb wearing a "do not photo me" sign over there head when they could just dress like homeless people...
Old May 25, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tfar
Addendum: On OBOW, where I posted this originally, someone said to take no valuables and someone else said to only use carry-on. Below is my response to these points to avoid similar injections here.

Problem is if you have really nice clothes. I know of many people where almost no matter what they wear any given day, the outfit would cost $2k. <snip>
I have a couple of tailor-made suits and bought a small rollaboard after I acquired them. I have never checked them, never will. The only valuables I check are the ones I am forced to check- e.g., liquor bottles. My husband and I use the "spread the risk" method- if we have 4 bottles of good scotch, 2 go in one carry-on, 2 in another.

But thanks for the tips- we're about to make another whisky run to London in September and are likely to use some of them. I've already had the tamper-evident zipper clips broken and had a bag x-rayed and banded in DEL searched in ORD and some items damaged- but anything that might discourage opening is useful.
Old May 25, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA
tfar, you give an excellent list of ways to prevent luggage theft. I use either a bright orange or purple suitcase that looks cheap and scuffed and put a neon green luggage strap around it. I will certainly use some of your suggestions. However, I would like to point out one thing. Having a note that says you have a complete list of contents and photos is a good idea, but unfortunately, that does not prove those things were in the suitcase at any time other than when the luggage owner shot the photos. But, it may be just enough of a deterrent.

Last edited by KChar; May 25, 2009 at 3:13 pm
Old May 25, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Interesting to see a Tumi ad on this page -- I've always thought that Tumi was the brand that shouts "steal me!" That said, has anyone had any experience that confirms, or fails to confirm, the theory that expensive luggage invites theft?
Old May 25, 2009, 8:37 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Interesting to see a Tumi ad on this page -- I've always thought that Tumi was the brand that shouts "steal me!" That said, has anyone had any experience that confirms, or fails to confirm, the theory that expensive luggage invites theft?
crooks know what the good catches are, if they steal bags they probably know what to look for. car thieves target certain models cause they have a better street value...i always notice that the biz class pax have nicer luggage, and they have more expensive seats...so its safe to assume that they pack expensive things that they bought on there trip...its the same reason why fancier hotels have fancier security and room safes...

i dont see the point for myself...even if i did have more money, buying fashionable luggage is about as pointless as buying a fashionable wheelbarrow... its just a vessel to get your crap from a to b...
Old May 25, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by shiv666

i dont see the point for myself...even if i did have more money, buying fashionable luggage is about as pointless as buying a fashionable wheelbarrow... its just a vessel to get your crap from a to b...
I drool over Tumi because they're intelligently designed, sturdy, and apparently covered by terrific customer service and return policies. If they last longer and make traveling easier, that's tempting. But if they invite theft, as I suspect, that cancels out their good qualities.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I travel around the world with a nylon duffel bag with a zipper, no locks. Anything of true value travels in my carry on.

I have had nothing stolen from my luggage. Ever.
Ditto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.