Community
Wiki Posts
Search

overhead ettiquete

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

overhead ettiquete

Is it appropriate to place a carryone above another seat IF the one above your seat is already FULL.?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax747
Is it appropriate to place a carryone above another seat IF the one above your seat is already FULL.?
Sure. Overheads aren't assigned.

However, you should put it in the overhead closest to your seat. It is very rude to put your carry-on in an overhead near the front of the plane when you're seated in the back. This forces those in the front to use the back compartments, forcing them to either "swim upstream" or wait 'til the plane empties out to retrieve their bag on landing.

And don't use the first class bins if you're seated in coach unless instructed by an FA to do so.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
<getting popcorn>
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:21 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Overhead space = the law of the jungle.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum & a bunch of hotel statuses
While everyone likes to have the overhead directly above them, nowhere do the airlines say that it's anything but communal property.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
I agree with many of the previous posts. I would think pax should try to use the overhead space that is closest to your seat. It just, IMO, makes everything easier.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:17 pm

Overheads=shared space.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
One School of Thought...

If I can't fly First Class, at least my bags can.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Plat
+1 law of the jungle. I've seen some extremely frustrated late-er boarding pax recently, surprised at the many different varieties of chaos they've paid so dearly to experience.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by redbeard911
<getting popcorn>
Please share! ^
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:37 pm

I assume it goes without saying that you should first use up the space under the seat in front of you before putting anything overhead.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I concur that if space is not available directly above, find some around for your bags... that's why I enjoy elite boarding (not only to pre-board, but in the case I am running late from a lounge visit, I can 'jump the cue' and position my bags appropriately) That is right, I said bag(s). As a tall person, I generally utilize the overhead space for my standard rolled carryon & my laptop bag since there is hardly enough room under the seat for my legs.

In F its a different story thankfully
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Wink

If you can't fit something in the overhead locker, then you should either put it under the seat behind you (not in front, that would use up your legroom), or simply feel free to take out large cases that are already in there and leave them in the aisle. An FA will be along quickly to put them in the hold for you, and the owners usually expect this to happen on full flights.

Alternatively, as only the left hand door is used for boarding, if it gets busy, then feel free to use the area between the aisle and the right door to stack them up.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Sometimes you have no choice as in row 1 on a 737/A3xx, where the front overheads are usually filled with emergency equipment or FA gear.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:06 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
on the subject of overhead etiquite, if we all placed our hand luggage in the bins upright or sideways there would be significantly more useable space in the overhead lockers. By doing this even the 2 baggers would likely be able to find space in the vicinity of their seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.