Wiki Posts
Search

Does your travel dept pinch pennies?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH something, Bonvoy can't remember
Does your travel dept pinch pennies?

This year the travel booking tool that my employer uses has been fine tuned to push us towards lower fares. DL fares have not always been competitive. I'm finding that in more and more cases I have to either fly on undesirable airlines or get management approval.

How much leeway do others have?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I just find the flights and they book em for me no questions asked, never get booked inf irst unless its an important event then they book the cheapest fc fare.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by EnLasNubes
This year the travel booking tool that my employer uses has been fine tuned to push us towards lower fares. DL fares have not always been competitive. I'm finding that in more and more cases I have to either fly on undesirable airlines or get management approval.

How much leeway do others have?
I have no leeway what so ever. BUT, I am in the US Military and we have prenegotiated airfares. Gotta fly on the contract carrier. Not complaining, it's the right thing to do to save tax dollars.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am lucky as I can find the flights I want and book them myself and then get reimbursed from my company. So, I can always pick delta and get the added bonus of getting the am ex miles myself! Hope it doesn't change.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I am my travel department.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I have no leeway what so ever. BUT, I am in the US Military and we have prenegotiated airfares. Gotta fly on the contract carrier. Not complaining, it's the right thing to do to save tax dollars.
Government employee but same basic concept. Thankfully being based in SLC my contract fares are normally DL; although about three years ago it was UA to all three WAS airports which sucked as I spent more than one night in ORD as a result of missed connections.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
The executive director of my division is 6'10" and just flew from Mumbai to Newark in coach.

Need I say more.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
You mean my fiancé?! As long as I'm home every other Friday or so.... She's happy to see the pennies flow!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not truly DL-specific, I am moving the thread over to TravelBuzz.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Used to buy tickets for myself and get reimbursed later.
Recently, my refunds were delayed and I got $3.21 and $1.64 less than I paid Somehow somebody spent their paid time and determined I wasn't choosing the lowest fares. Since by rule we are free to chose flight times which best fit business, I don't know how that determination was made.

I submitted and started using our contracted travel agency. What a PITA: software platform is worse and seat selection doesn't work well.
Anyway, although I don't advance the plane ticket cost anymore the rest of my reimbursements are still delayed because the agency gives me a cost at booking and then charges maybe a couple bucks less or more. Another paid employee has to spend time for reconciling bills.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:40 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by EnLasNubes
What is an "undesirable airline"?

i have not found DL to be any better from the point of view of a non-elite. Of course, if you have elite status benefits on DL, perhaps that other "undesirable airline" will become a desirable airline once you have flown it enough to gain elite status and associated benefits.

Travel policies requiring choosing the lowest fare for a reasonable flight are pretty much the standard when employers are paying for the fare.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
We have some leeway. If we choose a fare within $100 of the lowest fare available that day, we are within policy. If we choose a fare in excess of that, we have to provide an explanation with the booking. Acceptable explanations include a more convenient time, a direct flight or having to make flight arrangements match a coworker's arrangements. Unacceptable reasons include choosing a desired airline.

If I violate policy in purchasing a ticket, it triggers a warning and my boss has to approve the flight. My boss just kind of auto-approves these. If we purchase a ticket with a fare over $750, we also trigger the same warning and need the same type of approval.

I work for a large company and we make travel arrangements through a corporate booking tool. (Which looks and acts the same as Kayak.) We have an internal travel department and there are outside auditors looking behind us for compliance.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD
same here.

internal NA flights, we have out internal toool. we can go above 100 from minimum fare. rest all need approvals.

for overseas, we have outsourced to another company, which does the booking. u can be a bit pushy about dates and times, but not about specific airlines
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:04 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Bence_Coronation
for overseas, we have outsourced to another company, which does the booking. u can be a bit pushy about dates and times, but not about specific airlines
For those who have bureaucratic approval layers to deal with, are they reasonable about trying to avoid high risk itineraries (e.g. 1 hour regional jet to international connection at ORD on a day with snow predicted)?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I get to decide my own travel, but it has to be in Economy. Having said that, I do try to economize, while still staying within my preferred carriers. I do notice colleagues who will take the most convenient flights, regardless of cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.