Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you tip the the airline's lost luggage delivery service?

Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I've always been the type that tries to err on the side of generosity, but I have to admit, this has me shaking my head. Checked my bag the first time this year and (Murphy's Law), after waiting 45 minutes at baggage claim tonight, found out that it wasn't on my DL flight.

Just received a call from DL baggage service @ 10 pm asking for directions. They said it may be a few hours before they get to my place,so if I did not wish to be disturbed, to leave a note and the gratuity on the door. He then belabored the point "of course, there is no obligation, but a gratuity would very much be appreciated."

??? My reaction is -- Shouldn't the airline that hired them be providing any gratuity? Why on earth should I be expected to lay out cash for the delivery service hired by the airline because they lost my luggage?

Curious what other Flyertalkers think and what you normally do.

FWIW, I tipped the skycap who checked my bag in $5.

Last edited by pbjag; Jun 29, 2008 at 8:22 pm
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
Can't say I've ever done it. It hasn't even occurred to me to do so until I read this post.

The reason why it never crossed my mind to tip is because I assume they are being paid by the airline to return bags. Also, when I do tip people, it's in return for some favor or service that I requested. I never ask to have my bags lost.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by pbjag
...leave a note and the gratuity on the door. He then belabored the point "of course, there is no obligation, but a gratuity would very much be appreciated."...
My suggested response: "Yes, I'll leave the same gratuity I give my mail carrier, and the UPS & FedEx drivers."
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:40 pm
Suspended

yet another stupid question!! why oh why does the world evolve around tipping, these people get paid a salary for gods sake
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:07 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Elizabeth W.
Also, when I do tip people, it's in return for some favor or service that I requested. I never ask to have my bags lost.
+1

No way would I tip for receiving a bag which I should have received many hours earlier.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:14 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Of course, if you don't leave a tip, and you are sleeping when they drop the bag off, expect your bag to be mishandled or end up stolen...

"We dropped the bag off; someone must have stolen it from your doorstep."

I think I'd opt for a note saying 'Ring the doorbell when you get here so I can claim my bag and compensate you properly'. Compensation being, of course, a pleasant thank you.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
I have tipped a few times in the past ($5 or so). That's when I've been called by the delivery service (since this function can get contracted out), asked when I'd like the bags delivered, and they've been delivered on time.

These guys are pretty much free lancers so having them haul my 50-70 lb bagsup a flight of stairs, driving through a snow storm (happened a few times), and keeping it on time...I tip. Did they ever imply I had to? No. That would have been a turnoff so I don't blame you on that one!

But when I've had bags delivered to my hotel and they are dropped off with the desk, I don't tip nor worry that I should have.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
My neighbor's luggage was recently lost on a trip home from LAS. He received a phone call at 1:00 AM(!) on a Saturday morning from the delivery person, asking my neighbor if he could go into work on a Saturday morning in the city(30 mile drive), so the driver would have less of a distance to deliver the bag.

What's with these people? I realize they're independent contractors, but ...?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by pbjag

??? My reaction is -- Shouldn't the airline that hired them be providing any gratuity? Why on earth should I be expected to lay out cash for the delivery service hired by the airline because they lost my luggage?

Curious what other Flyertalkers think and what you normally do.

FWIW, I tipped the skycap who checked my bag in $5.
1) I never check bags with skycaps because I want to talk to a TA to make sure my flight isn't haven't problems and feel skycaps never have this info. For example, sometimes, I can make an earlier flight that's running a bit late.

2) I've had luggage lost and delivered to hotels and even never seen the person who brought it to the hotel. If I have to go to the office to get it, no tip to anyone -- if someone brings it to my room for me, it's a different story.

3) The last time someone brought lost luggage to my house, it was raining and the luggage was in a pickup truck and was soaked.

Bob H
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:50 am

I usually only fly with carry on, but my bags have been lost twice (out of 4-5 times) and both times were business trips where the bags were returned to the front desk at the hotel I was staying at. I never saw the person either time, but I don't believe I would tip for having the experience of going a day without all of my stuff, having to buy new soap/deodorant/toothpaste/etc and wondering if I would ever see my stuff again. I think the airlines should tip me in those instances.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:01 am

A few years ago, when I was living in VT, US managed to misplace my luggage 8 weeks in a row xxx-PHL-MHT. The same heavily tattooed, Santa Claus-looking guy delivered my bags at 0900 the following morning (Always a Saturday...) regardless of weather and the fact that I lived 4 miles up a fairly unpleasant and steep dirt road.

I always gave him $10 and coffee, as he saved me from having to lug my heavy bags out to remote parking after a long week. I was on a first name basis with the US baggage office folks at MHT as well. I generally had 3 or 4 completely filled out forms, minus the flight info, in my briefcase, which made the entire process a breeze.

Amazingly, and thankfully, my bags were very rarely lost on the way out...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Elizabeth W.
Can't say I've ever done it. It hasn't even occurred to me to do so until I read this post.

The reason why it never crossed my mind to tip is because I assume they are being paid by the airline to return bags. Also, when I do tip people, it's in return for some favor or service that I requested. I never ask to have my bags lost.
+1
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: UA1K, UC. AA- EXP, AC, Avis First, Marriott Plat Premier, HH-Diamond
I have tipped in the past for this service and would again in the future.

I don't see this as any different from any other cab ride. If my luggage had made it with me, I'd be tipping the driver. If my bag comes by seperate car, I'll be tipping the driver. In the end it's just someone trying to make a living while having the joy of listening to everyone they return a bag to express their feelings about the situation. I think the $5.00 is cheap karma...

Last edited by InsideThePlane; Jun 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Definitely not.... they do not tip me when I give them the bags... and I do not tip them when they return my bags!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
No, no, no.

Definitely not - I didn't ask for the service. I assume the airline compensates appropriately.

Also - I don't feel guilty not tipping shuttle drivers etc. after an airline has left me stranded - usually without any cash.

On one occasion (OK, in the UK) an airline arranged for a limo to take me from BHX to LGW - I was helping the airline out by agreeing to take an alternative flight home. On that occasion I informed the driver something along the lines of "I hope that the airline are paying you nicely because I just don't have any cash to give you a gratuity" - he was pleasant and said "no, no, don't worry". I just don't hoard bits of extra cash, especially when returning from a destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.