Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

any airport still have the flapping card flight status boards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any airport still have the flapping card flight status boards?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:50 am

Programs: U2(ha!), LH, BA, VS, BD(RIP)
Also still alive and well in CGN (Cologne-Bonn) - they have two in Terminal 1 and at least one more in Terminal 2 (can't remember right now whether there's one or two there).

Are there any airports where they still have the smaller versions of these boards at each gate? TXL springs to mind but there must be others...

Great topic ^
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ihearttravl
sin still has them!!
Where? I only recall monitors (lots of them).
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
There was one at BUD outside the international arrivals as of last year
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
I think HNL still has these boards high up on the walls by domestic US check-in...not any past security though
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Dunno, but I saw scribbles on a chalkboard in some of the smaller airports in Madagascar, which is probably an even older technology.

Originally Posted by TA
I don't know what they're rightly called, but you know the kind still common at train stations and for a long time at airports in the past, where the board has to cycle through each letter of the alphabet, and has special fields like "delayed 15 min" or "boarding"? I'm just curious for nostalgic reasons -- I wonder if any of these exist in large airports still -- they're kind of neat I think. Of course in lots of places you have the segmented letter LCD (?) boards, the intermediate between the old flapping boards and the modern plasma screens, and these sort of give you the same feeling. But nothing beats the sound of the mechanical characters flipping around every few minutes, I remember...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:18 am

Kamuzu International Airport in Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi, goes one further. Instead of wasting expensive electricity on needless flipping, their flight status board consists of a plank of wood with nails hammered into it, and wood bits with holes in them can then be hung up on the nails to display eg. "Air Malawi" "QM" "1" "2" "3" "Blantyre" "1" "2" "5" "0". This isn't too hard to maintain, as the airport gets about half a dozen flights per day, and there's no need to worry about gate information either as LLW has precisely one gate, which is used by all flights.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:51 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Kamuzu International Airport in Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi, goes one further. Instead of wasting expensive electricity on needless flipping, their flight status board consists of a plank of wood with nails hammered into it, and wood bits with holes in them can then be hung up on the nails to display eg. "Air Malawi" "QM" "1" "2" "3" "Blantyre" "1" "2" "5" "0". This isn't too hard to maintain, as the airport gets about half a dozen flights per day, and there's no need to worry about gate information either as LLW has precisely one gate, which is used by all flights.
I think UA at Dulles has the same thing!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jpatokal
...their flight status board consists of a plank of wood with nails hammered into it, and wood bits with holes in them can then be hung up on the nails to display...
You have described the entire JetBlue arrival and departure notification system.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Barcelona and Cardiff Wales
Old Mar 29, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I think UA at Dulles has the same thing!
Same as Mazatlan. Mexico and Cabo San Lucas too
Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: Most of them
Buenos Airies
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: DL, B6
Copenhagen - Kastrup (CPH); Trieste (TRS)
Old Apr 5, 2008, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bergamo
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CGK and BOM, though no longer at DEL.

Sadly they are all gone from British railways stations too.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Warsaw T1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.