Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What happens if you don't pay a toll in a rental car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens if you don't pay a toll in a rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by EnergyFlyer
By the way, my favorite toll-taking "enhancement" is the removal of the manned toll booth coming off of I-294 into O'Hare. There is no advance warning that your only option (if you don't have an IL transponder) is to put coins in the exact change machine. Given the large number of rental cars that go through that toll interchage, I have to wonder how many folks are either having to mail in checks (or paying the fines via credit card for not paying the toll) every day due to that interchange.
Despite having made literally hundreds of business trips to Chicago, only for the first time three years ago did I ever have a rental. Came across this toll and started scrambling to grab my briefcase from the rear seat and hunt for change.

About a year later I also had a rental and was driving leaving ORD south on I-294 to 88. I was not reading the signs carefully and missed the exit to the right at the first toll for cash payers. Nothing happened subsequently, maybe because the cameras could not see my face, since it was raining very hard and I think I was looking somewhat downwards.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:38 pm

Location: Happiest Place on Earth~ Mickey's Home: ORLANDO, SUNNY FLORIDA!
Programs: #1 Delta, National, Marriott #2 American, Hertz, Hilton
Originally Posted by majorwibi
The Orlando area allows for two of these "actions" per car per month. I had the same issue back in Sept and called the number on the unmanned booth and was told what I just mentioned. The lady I talked to also mentioned that they have listings of what are rental cars and the grant a lot more leeway in those situations.
I live in Orlando (MCO) and I agree with majorwibi
in that MOST toll collection agencies allow one or two violations. They do NOT have the resources or time to go after each toll vilolator for 50 cents or 75 cents. Parking tickets on the other hand should be paid. Since the rental car companies will come after you. Also, if the toll issue is serious and re-occuring with most customers, they have warning signs inside the car (i.e. Electronic toll roads in Toronto~ mind you they do not have toll booths).

So, don't lose sleep over it. Safe travels.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
As to the "no change" bit...

while it seems reasonable to expect any (business) entity accepting/requiring cash payment to provide change I know that agents of one government institution in a certain, populous state on the West Coast of the U.S. frown and pout when offered fifties, and categorically refuse hundreds (she said, coyly hiding behind her fan..>) This, when some balances due exceed or are close to $100.
In the words of Judy Tenuta, "...it could haaaapen..."
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RingoYUL
Where was that ? There is no toll road in all the province of Québec.
You are correct -- went back and pulled my CC statement. I was in Toronto on the 407 ETR.

No toll booths -- per Wikipedia it uses Automatic number plate recognition to tag the cars without transponders.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
EZ Pass and SunPass

I got so tired of driving on the NJ Turnpike and going thru the cash lanes and waiting and waiting that I got an EZ Pass. I pack it when i go on trips to the East Coast. It also works in Maine, and on the Mass Pike, the Pa Turnpike - it even works in Chicago.

I also have a SunPass for Orlando.

I do some travel thru Denver and have thought of getting one for I470
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Anyone know specifics on the Mass Pike? I got stuck in an EZPass lane exiting today for what should have been no toll (only went 10 miles). I pulled over, walked back, but the toll operator told me it was too late and she couldn't help. I called MTA and they told me they will send a fine to Avis, no way to remedy it myself. Avis said they will tack on a fee and charge me the fine. I am more than willing to pay the max toll for the road, but $50++ seems excessive when they signs were vague at best.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:16 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Similar question.. what if you get a parking ticket when in a rental?
I was in Cyprus a few years ago, got a parking ticket and didn't have time to take care of it. I just gave the ticket+fine to the rental car desk when I returned the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.