Adding Passport pages abroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (Used to be Gold)

I am wondering if the last pages in my passport, pages 22, 23, 24 which are blank and say they are for Amendments and Endorsements, can be used for stamping? I would think so, but does anybody know for sure? I will call and sit in queue for a response at 1-877-487-2778, the National Passport Information Center.

Or do I really need to have pages added? If I need pages added could I do that at an Embassy or Consulate abroad?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (Used to be Gold)
Found out how to do it

I found out that I can just go to the Embassy in Bangkok and it takes about an hour, and is free of charge.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Hi,

I think this has been discussed in some other threads. Yes, blank visa pages can be added at US consulates. For example, the US Embassy website in Singapore states the following:

"Visa pages can be added to a US passport by bringing the passport to the American Citizen Services (ACS) section of the US Embassy in Singapore during our public hours, which are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 12:00am and 2:00pm to 3:30pm, excluding local and American holidays. The process usually takes less than one hour and is free of charge.

There is no legal limit to the number of times pages may be added. If your passport has become so thick it is hard to use, we recommend that you apply to get a replacement."

No idea about stamping Visa's on those last pages marked for endorsements.

Steve
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:47 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Also Check this out:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718224
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dudemius
No idea about stamping Visa's on those last pages marked for endorsements.
"Amendments and Endorsements" can't be used for passport stamps or visas. I suppose it's possible that the occasional immigration officer or consulate worker might overlook that, but don't depend on it! Last year I got to watch a lady at the Indian consulate get very, very angry when they refused to put a visa on the Amendments page of her passport - a few days before her trip. The consulate stood its ground and she stormed off in disgust.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Dudemius
...There is no legal limit to the number of times pages may be added. If your passport has become so thick it is hard to use, we recommend that you apply to get a replacement." ...
I have been told on very good authority, though, that there is a legal requirement that each set of new pages be taped on both sides to an original page. (Anything anyone is told, no matter how good the authority, can change five minutes after the telling, so I am willing to be corrected.) If that rule is now in effect, it would limit the number of added sets to the number of original pages, minus those at the front used for text - 22 or 46 new sets, depending on whether your original passport had 24 or 48 pages. As a practical matter, a passport would become impractically thick well before this point. Others have posted here that embassies are reluctant to add a fourth new set, up to the point of refusal.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Do it abroad if you can. Faster, free, painless.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: hardly any
In Singapore ...

I had extra pages added to my passport this past spring while in Singapore. I went at 2:30pm, during the time period reserved for U.S. citizens. The process took about 20 minutes, and was performed free of charge. At home stateside, the process would have taken 8 weeks by mail and would have cost about $65. It might just pay to go somewhere overseas to have it done.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:11 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Check the embassy page where you are going for adding pages rules! While there is no State Department rule for the maximum allowable additions, some embassies have their own rules (i.e. London: Only 3 times max, Luxembourg: only 2 times max). There are two general rules: 1. Passport must be in good condition and 2. Pages must "fit" properly.

Last edited by bankops; Aug 17, 2007 at 3:05 am
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Did it in BRU for free - 45 minutes of my time.

Regardless - I've had amendment pages stamped by US only. Either they didn't look or care. Not sure.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well bankops, that seems to be an absolute turnaround from what you said in the other thread. Considering the fact that my fifth set was inserted in London not too long ago and they didn't say a word about it, it would seem to negate your statement. IMHO no mission has ever had a two extension limit.

The popular thought is that when they add pages they scan/copy your entire passport, hence why some try to limit the amount of additions as it creates more work for them. In any case as I stated on the other thread and whch is now the case, due to the huge backlogs in everything passport related not only are most missions abroad not saying anything about any number of extensions, but in my case recently (less than two weeks ago) added two sets instead of one without me asking "for my convenience".
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:20 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I tried to get pages added at the US Embassy in Beirut a few days ago, getting there a trip in and of itself, but they said they wouldn't go beyond three additions, which I already had, and that they needed one day to do it anyways. Shucks...

I stopped a fellow United Statesian in Doha Airport and he had quite the tome of a passport. I asked him what the deal was with his seven additions, and he said go to one you've been to already in order to get them to go beyond the "limit of three." So I went to the consulate in Hong Kong, and sure enough, since my passport was in copacetic condition, fifteen minutes later I was set. Of course, it could just depend on whom you are speaking with, but I reckon each embassy/consulate could have its own deal.

やった。
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, to answer the OP, I have just counted and I have 18 stamps spread across my amendment pages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.