Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone sit on a specific side of the plane to avoid the sun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone sit on a specific side of the plane to avoid the sun?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA E+, HH Platinum, Marriott Rewards, Budget Fastbreak
Arrow Does anyone sit on a specific side of the plane to avoid the sun?

I frequently travel ORD-MCO-ORD on early morning flights (0600), especially in the winter, I always make sure that going down to MCO I sit in the right side of the a/c, and coming back I sit in the left side of the a/c to make sure the sunrise doesn't shine in and I don't get cooked by the heat! I prefer the window seat and like to keep it open but to me it gets warm really quick once the sun is up.

Also sitting on the right side of the a/c has it's advantages as most of the FA's don't see that my Bose QC2's are on!

Anyone else do this or sit on certain sides for certain reasons?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 2P
yes of course.

I try to sit on the side away from the sun (usually north side but not always surprisingly) for better viewing of beautiful earth below and less glare
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:19 pm

Same here, always watch it, and mostly for less glare because I always read a book.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Absolutely! Who doesn't??
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:33 pm

For eastbound transatlantic or transpac flights leaving in the late afternoon (northern), the right side is better. (Counterintuitive?)
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
i am right handed and alway sit on the starboard side of the craft.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Not if it's an ERJ.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, United Club, AA EP, BR, CI, CX, WN, SPG, HH, Marriott Gold, LeClub Accor PLAT
Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER
I frequently travel ORD-MCO-ORD on early morning flights (0600), especially in the winter, I always make sure that going down to MCO I sit in the right side of the a/c, and coming back I sit in the left side of the a/c to make sure the sunrise doesn't shine in and I don't get cooked by the heat! I prefer the window seat and like to keep it open but to me it gets warm really quick once the sun is up.
I fly between SAN-LAX-SFO quite a bit. For the early evening flights home, I tend to sit on the left side of the aircraft. After a hectic day, I really enjoy watching the colors in the sky as the sun is setting.

Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER
Also sitting on the right side of the a/c has it's advantages as most of the FA's don't see that my Bose QC2's are on!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:07 am

The lower the window shades, the less radiation on everybody.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Talking

Sure do
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Posh

Port Out, Starboard Home...

... though probably apocryphal.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
When crossing the pond westbound I always sit on the right hand side to avoid the sun and the same with westbound US transcons. Reverse this for eastbound flights. I sometimes deviate from this though if I know the destination airport has a spectacular approach best viewed from the other side.

On a similar theme I always sit on the left hand side for overnight transatlantic eastbound flights (particularly in winter) in the hope of catching a glimpse of the Northern Lights which I often have. I'm not the kind of person that takes kindly to the request to lower window shades
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
When crossing the pond westbound I always sit on the right hand side to avoid the sun and the same with westbound US transcons. Reverse this for eastbound flights. ..........................
I got caught out on this a few weeks ago on a BA flight LHR to MIA.

We were sat on the right side (J/K seats) thinking we would be out of the sun for the flight. Except that our routing from London took us across the North Atlantic to Newfoundland, then we turned south & tracked all the way along the coast of the U.S. towards MIA.

So with the sun setting the West, we ended up with it on our side of the aircraft for hours.

I guess you win some, you lose some eh
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 12, 2007 at 5:26 am
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:47 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
When crossing the pond westbound I always sit on the right hand side to avoid the sun and the same with westbound US transcons. Reverse this for eastbound flights. I sometimes deviate from this though if I know the destination airport has a spectacular approach best viewed from the other side.

On a similar theme I always sit on the left hand side for overnight transatlantic eastbound flights (particularly in winter) in the hope of catching a glimpse of the Northern Lights which I often have. I'm not the kind of person that takes kindly to the request to lower window shades
You and I would make poor traveling companions because I would always be trying to get the same window seat you're after! I've found FAs tend to respond quite enthusiastically to my requests to be awakened if the captain observes the Aurora Borealis.

However, I am often willing to sit on the sunny side in such cases as:

1) the only available window seats are on the sunny side,

2) there's only a single seat on the sunny side vs. two on the "dark side," such as an Embraer 145,

3) there are only two seats on the sunny side vs. three on the dark side, such as on an MD-80 (on Delta MD-80s there seems to also be more leg room on the 2-seat side).

4) flying south along the eastern Florida coast at sunset, when you can catch the reflection of the sun in the Gulf of Mexico and thus see the entire width of the state in between the Gulf and the Atlantic directly beneath you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.