Wiki Posts
Search

What will happen with checked luggage in Philly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

In October I am flying back to Indiana from Pisa and have a connection is Philly. I arrive in Philly at 8:10 PM but my connecting flight to Indy does not leave until the next morning at 9:30 AM. If I am on a ticket I purchased from the airline (not an outside vendor) will my bag be held at Philly and then moved to my connecting flight? I will have all I need in my carry on for the night and dont really want to take my checked bag thru security etc to the airport Mariott Hotel where I plan to catch some sleep. Can I just let the checked bag roll on? thanks!!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
jarrardd, welcome to FlyerTalk! What airlines are involved? And what is your first airport of entry to the U.S? You'll have to claim checked bags at that time and clear U.S. customs. If that's in PHL (Philadelphia), you'll find a re-check bag desk there, after clearing customs. If there's an airline agent there you can ask about accepting the bag for your next day's flight, which the airline should do, if you were able to check it all the way to Indiana from Italy.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:33 pm

A TSA will rifle through to see if there is anything worth stealing. Welcome to America

On a more helpful note the post above is entirely accurate
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Assuming that the OP is connecting onto an AA/US flight, it's possible that he won't be able to check the bag through to IND or re-check it after Customs. AA has a policy of not allowing bags to be checked through when the connection time exceeds 12 hours. Not sure if US follows the same policy.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jarrardd
... and dont really want to take my checked bag thru security etc to the airport Mariott Hotel where I plan to catch some sleep. Can I just let the checked bag roll on? thanks!!
You won't have to take it through security. As already posted, you'll have to collect it to clear U.S. customs. As soon as you do, you take it with you and walk out. No security involved.

Coming back the next morning, if you check it, you won't take it through security either.

All in all, unless the bag is so big that just moving around with it is a pain, zero hassle.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I would actually recommend taking your bag with you overnight, then rechecking it in the morning. Better to have it in your posession than let it sit in some corner of PHL overnight where it may be forgotten by the morning crew.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I would actually recommend taking your bag with you overnight, then rechecking it in the morning. Better to have it in your posession than let it sit in some corner of PHL overnight where it may be forgotten by the morning crew.
Having the bag forgotten might be better than having stuff stolen from it.

In some USA airports, you can get a wheeled cart for free at the baggage claim area before customs and you can keep it with you all the way to the hotel shuttle, train, etc. In this case, you might be able to use the card the whole way to the hotel since it's right at the airport.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jarrardd
I arrive in Philly at 8:10 PM but my connecting flight to Indy does not leave until the next morning at 9:30 AM. If I am on a ticket I purchased from the airline (not an outside vendor) will my bag be held at Philly and then moved to my connecting flight?
Where is the connection between Pisa and Philly? Based on the flight time I'm guessing BA 69 LHR-PHL is what you're flying on.

So you'll clear immigration and customs upon landing at PHL and collect your checked bags as part of that process. I doubt that US will allow you to re-check them that night for the onward journey. Take them to the hotel with you and bring them back in the morning for the PHL-IND flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.