Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:44 am
Original Poster

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

I'm flying JFK-MIA and I end up in coach...no upgrades. But the check in clerk did manage to get me an aisle seat. When I board I get to my seat and there is a woman, middle class, dressed casual, neat about herself... and she is in my seat.

I point out that I have that particular seat. She replies "they put me in the middle and I can't sit there, I need the aisle".

I continue to pester her and she just ignores me.

I then ask her to get up so I can take her middle seat and she refuses. "I'm not moving".

So I'm stuck squished in the middle seat for 3+ hrs.

I didn't want to cause a scene. Has this ever happened to anyone and what should be done about it?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:49 am

It's not happened to me but it does happen (if you scroll/search a bit you'll find several threads on the subject).

You should have (quietly) called a Flight Attendant. They would have (quietly) sorted it out.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You should have (quietly) called a Flight Attendant. They would have (quietly) sorted it out.
+1
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by johnhere
I didn't want to cause a scene
Packed in such a hurry you left the stones at home, eh?!
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:43 am

Asking the FA to intervene isn't making a scene if you do it on the quite.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:58 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Exclamation

you should have just sat on her lap!!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Never happened to me as I would have made sure I got my aisle seat.

I would have called the FA when she said she wasn't moving. Did she not even budge for you to get to the middle seat (and was the window seat already occupied.)

I do like InTokyo's suggestion!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Wow

Sorry but you need to stand up for yourself.
The FA would have sorted it out for you.
I've come across this kind of traveller myself -usually a firm-could you move from my seat please -works if not I usually call the FA over and say "Can you confirm this is my seat please" They look at both passengers boarding cards and get the offender to move. No need for a big fuss.

Sadly you've now given this classless spoilt brat the idea that she can get away with this kind of behaviour and someone else will need to deal with her next time she tries it on-which she definitely will.

Incidently you've mentioned it was a woman-would you have done anything differently had it been a man ?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I continue to pester her and she just ignores me.
Mistake.

At her first refusal to move, you should have found a FA to sort it out.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:19 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
OP maybe you were completely taken aback at her actions that you were too shocked to act appropriately.

There is no way on earth I would accept someone treating me with such disdain. I can guarantee you I would have had her out of that seat in seconds. Well, um, not personally, done with the assistance of crew of course.

Have done it before, crew handled it very well. In fact the crew member apologized to me for the inconvenience. The man who took my seat ended up being relocated to another row so that was doubly nice. Middle seat free!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
To FA: There's a pax in my seat who won't get out. FA will ask for your boarding pass...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:25 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
To Flight Attendant "Can you assist me? I thought this was my seat but perhaps I was upgraded to first class and the agent gave me the wrong boarding pass."

I did that once when someone did not want to move... and guess what, I got first class. That other passenger was so peeved... they quickly said "Oh wait, I will take that seat." The flight attendant politely said "Oh, I would not want you to have to get up and move, you are apparently too comfortable to move when you knew you had the wrong seat... just stay there...". It was priceless.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by wharvey
To Flight Attendant "Can you assist me? I thought this was my seat but perhaps I was upgraded to first class and the agent gave me the wrong boarding pass."

I did that once when someone did not want to move... and guess what, I got first class. That other passenger was so peeved... they quickly said "Oh wait, I will take that seat." The flight attendant politely said "Oh, I would not want you to have to get up and move, you are apparently too comfortable to move when you knew you had the wrong seat... just stay there...". It was priceless.
THAT gave me a smile! Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The flight attendant would have resolved it or asked the gate agent to resolve it. There's no way I would have accepted the middle because somebody else would not move, cause a scene or not.

They would have been a pain in the ... sitting in the middle seat after being made to move, but that's still better than me having the middle.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:19 am
Suspended

You have the BP for the seat, you take that seat.

Stop arguing with her right away and get the FA.

Something similar happened to me once in coach. I get onboard and when I get to the aisle seat, some man is sitting in it reading a paper. I point out that he is in my seat and without looking up from the paper, tilts his head to the middle seat and says "Just sit there, it's all the same". I point out that if it's the same, then he shouldn't have a problem sitting there. He finally looks at me, and with a straight face says "Don't give me back talk" like I was his 4 year old kid. In the regular world, them would be fighting words and it would be on. In the post 9/11 world of air travel, I simply got the FA who made him move.

If the FA does not take your side on it (they usually will, but sometimes they don't care or want to get moving fast from the gate and underway) you demand the purser. If the FA IS the purser you demand the Gate Agent or the Pilot. No yelling, just matter of factly, calmly.

You did what you were not supposed to do. Back down. Suffer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.