Wiki Posts
Search

Packing shirts w/o wrinkles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Packing shirts w/o wrinkles

I found this thread on packing suits without wrinkles upon arrival, but I have yet to find any tips on shirts (specifically dress shirts). I am really getting tired of ironing/steaming so much all the time and would like to have my life be a little easier when I travel. I heard long ago that rolling, as opposed to folding, shirts works better at preventing wrinkles, is this true? Does anyone else have tips on what to do? Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:17 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm very fussy when it comes to shirts, and always end up with 100% cotton, so the rolling method never seems to work for me. I fold them shop-style, that seems to put the creases in inobtrusive places. Basically, do up a couple of buttons, turn over, fold the body in on both sides so there are two flaps meeting in the middle. Fold round the sleeves so they meet the flaps, then fold in half. Then I store with others inside a plastic bag, or fold in half again if it is packed alone.

YMMV, but this works just fine for me.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
In Army Basic Training we actually got some instructions on how to pack! We were told to fold our shirts in thirds lengthwise, then roll them up from the bottom with the buttons facing out. It worked fine for fatigues but it never works for my dress shirts.

If you have your shirts washed at a dry cleaners, ask them to box instead of hang them. I'm not sure if many cleaners still do that, but it sure makes them easier to pack.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
I like these Pack-it folders. Keeps wrinkles to a minimum.

Pack It Folders

Last edited by BogeyMan; Nov 13, 2006 at 2:09 pm Reason: correct hyper link
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Capite

If you have your shirts washed at a dry cleaners, ask them to box instead of hang them. I'm not sure if many cleaners still do that, but it sure makes them easier to pack.
IMHO the best solution. I think most cleaners will do this, but they may charge a little extra. Still worth it.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:29 pm

I always pack with tissue paper. I place a piece of tissue paper on the back of the shirt, and then fold the shirt like I always do. It seems to help my husband's shirts stay a bit less wrinkled.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Capite
In Army Basic Training we actually got some instructions on how to pack! We were told to fold our shirts in thirds lengthwise, then roll them up from the bottom with the buttons facing out. It worked fine for fatigues but it never works for my dress shirts.
Interesting. I do the tri-fold and roll, but I've always rolled top to bottom, and buttons in. The dress shirts still get wrinkled, but the wrinkles seem less set than when folded. I'll try the opposite roll next trip and see if that helps.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Try this method at your next dinner party
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:43 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
bunch all shirts and t-shirts together in an alternate pattern
with sleeves spread out.
fold all the sleeves in. Wrap a towel around and fold in half.
bringing bottom of the shirts to the collar.

This should keep the wrinkles low.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by cyberdad
IMHO the best solution. I think most cleaners will do this, but they may charge a little extra. Still worth it.
For me, this is usually the best way to go. My local cleaners charges $1.75 (vs. $1.09 for hangers at the high-volume place a few blocks in the other direction which doesn't box), but lately I've been unhappy at their folding technique near the collar.

Then I put the shirts in an Eagle Creek pack and go container to keep them from moving in the suitcase or garment bag.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
I like these Pack-it folders. Keeps wrinkles to a minimum.

Pack It Folders
And when you loose that little plastic thingy that acts as folding board, just use a FedEx envelope-just about the same size and most hotel biz centers have em
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have no problem packing unwrinkled shirts.

It's unpacking unwrinkled shirts that I can't seem to get the hang of.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
another vote for pack it folders.

I get the shirts starched as usual, pack them in a pack it folder,then a quick touch up at the other end and they are perfect.

If you can get your cleaner to fold and box them so much better, but the pack it folders are totally amazing.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
It's all in the suitcase.

Traveling with a rolling garment bag does the trick for me every time. No need to fold anything.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:20 am

Hallo,

No tips for the folding except for the ones that are already posted by previous posters on here... but... was thinking if you don't have to wear the dress shirts till the next day, maybe you can hang them up on that bathtub rack thingie (oh what is it called!) and fill the bathtub with hot hot water till it is steamy and then close the door and go to bed. By the next morn, the wrinkles may have straightened themselves out due to steam and gravity.

Maybe worth a try if you are really tired.

Well good luck!

~Little Dragon Kitty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.