Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just Fell Victim to a Scam in Istanbul -- God Do I feel Like an Idiot!

Just Fell Victim to a Scam in Istanbul -- God Do I feel Like an Idiot!

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've heard of this scam in IST a million times and there are even many warnings about it here on FT. What you should have done, when the policeman was around was say that you were calling your consulate's emergency number, this scares the bejesus out of IST beat cops on the take because they know that the consulate can make a complaint to the security headquarters and that they can get fired, unfortunately this neded to happen before you reached a settlement. It must be a look that certain people have as I have not been approached by any of these a88holes for years, however my answer generally when asked, "would you like to see some girls/hookers, etc is..............will your sister be there?" Makes them go nuts and if you hold your ground within about a minute you will have a group of Turks symathetic to YOUR SIDE browbeating the guy on the street. I would suggest that you get the telephone number of the "Yabancilar Subesi" of the Istanbul police (foreigner office) and explain EXACTLY what happened, better if you have the name or number of the cop involved, and say that if it is not resolved you will get your consulate on it, be persistant and you might even find a sheepish policeman or bar manager dropping money off to your hotel before you leave.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hfly
I've heard of this scam in IST a million times and there are even many warnings about it here on FT. What you should have done, when the policeman was around was say that you were calling your consulate's emergency number, this scares the bejesus out of IST beat cops on the take because they know that the consulate can make a complaint to the security headquarters and that they can get fired, unfortunately this neded to happen before you reached a settlement. It must be a look that certain people have as I have not been approached by any of these a88holes for years, however my answer generally when asked, "would you like to see some girls/hookers, etc is..............will your sister be there?" Makes them go nuts and if you hold your ground within about a minute you will have a group of Turks symathetic to YOUR SIDE browbeating the guy on the street. I would suggest that you get the telephone number of the "Yabancilar Subesi" of the Istanbul police (foreigner office) and explain EXACTLY what happened, better if you have the name or number of the cop involved, and say that if it is not resolved you will get your consulate on it, be persistant and you might even find a sheepish policeman or bar manager dropping money off to your hotel before you leave.
That line about "your sister" is a classic. And excellent advice. ^^
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
, however my answer generally when asked, "would you like to see some girls/hookers, etc is..............will your sister be there?" .
Genius! I'm not convinced I am brave enough to pull that line, but it is superb nonetheless.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Thanks for reporting this, and I am glad that you weren't hurt. I think that this could happen to anyone -- I have been solicited as usual in Bucharest and Bangkok, but luckily not victimized. (Somehow I avoided the scams in India.)

The real shame is for those who share the OP's general approach of liking to talk to locals. I, like him, have had great experiences meeting people and learning a lot about the places that I visit. I have met people and bought them a modest lunch in exchange for chatting me up and giving me insight. It's worked out wonderfully. Not to be too pompous, but I like "representing" America as an inquisitive, open-minded, courteous traveler. It's too bad that these experiences make us less likely to want to engage strangers in other countries.

P.S. I am currently staying at the Hyatt in Istanbul. It's a great place, certainly superior to the InterCon across the street and no worse than the Ritz-Carlton down the street in my opinion. (But I step below the best place in town -- the Kempinski on the Bosphorous. I can't wait for the Four Seasons down there to open.) Great neighborhood, too -- or so I thought!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, EXP
I think you overreacted to the situation by involving the police and going through all that drama. I understand, however, that you were traumatized at the time.

Whenever you are presented with an outrageous charge while traveling, simply pay the bill with your credit card and write a note ("disputed charge") on the receipt. There is no way they could have made that charge stick. You would never have had to pay that money. You cannot, however, dispute a cash advance. So the cash you paid is gone.

Yes, you should cancel your credit card.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks, OP, for the useful warning about the scam. You might have saved another FTer from the scam.

In general, American men should be very weary when a local woman just about anywhere suggests that you buy her a drink in a strange club (this applies within the USA, too!). The male mind in is incredible in its ability to rationalize (e.g., "I think she likes me!") and turn off the logic centers (e.g., "you're an easy mark!").

If a woman is really interested in you, and she's not part of a scam, she's probably not going to push you to buy her a drink in a strange club. She probably would just talk with you at first, and not even suggest the booze.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were in IStanbul right now I'd offer to help you out, but unfortunately i'm not.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks, OP, for the useful warning about the scam. You might have saved another FTer from the scam.

In general, American men should be very weary when a local woman just about anywhere suggests that you buy her a drink in a strange club (this applies within the USA, too!). The male mind in is incredible in its ability to rationalize (e.g., "I think she likes me!") and turn off the logic centers (e.g., "you're an easy mark!").

If a woman is really interested in you, and she's not part of a scam, she's probably not going to push you to buy her a drink in a strange club. She probably would just talk with you at first, and not even suggest the booze.
Yes; but in the OP's situation it was "trusting" a strange male actor that brought about this situation. That is, this situation need not have anything to do with "the male mind" and "turn[ing] off the logic centers" in the presence of a woman.

I wonder if the women I saw being deported from IST a couple of weeks back worked at the same place or sort of place as that mentioned in the OP.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by OneSteve
I think you overreacted to the situation by involving the police and going through all that drama. I understand, however, that you were traumatized at the time.

Whenever you are presented with an outrageous charge while traveling, simply pay the bill with your credit card and write a note ("disputed charge") on the receipt. There is no way they could have made that charge stick. You would never have had to pay that money. You cannot, however, dispute a cash advance. So the cash you paid is gone.

Yes, you should cancel your credit card.
Wow. . .hopefully you've never and will never experience what the OP experienced. "drama?!"

Additionally, depending upon where you are just writing a note on the receipt does not always allow you to not have to pay the charge. Also, depending upon the reason for a cash advance e.g., being held up, mugged, etc. you may be able to "dispute" the cash advance if you have the appropriate documentation, etc. This is, of course, dependent upon your bank.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:36 pm

Wow, that was a close call. I'd have been pretty intimidated especially in a foreign country. I had something similiar happen to me in Australia of all places but when a bunch of my buddies showed up my new found friend decided that he had another place to go.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Anyway, he says he is from Iran and -- and I know this sounds really dumb -- I decided to continue to talk with him as we were on an open street and I feel strongly that it is important to engage people from his part of the world when the opportunity arises.
I am sorry this happened to you. I think we all have a plan of what we would do in such situations but when they arise there is often no opportunity to execute the plan. It is good that you are alright but I do suggest moving to another hotel just to be on the safe side.

I don't know what to make about your comment about engaging people from "this part of the world".
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I don't know what to make about your comment about engaging people from "this part of the world".
I'm not the OP obviously but I believe he meant that as a positive thing. I'm a U.S. citizen and all too often all you hear is how every arab is a terrorist. A lot of the world thinks the U.S. is close minded and couldn't care less about the rest of the world or what happens outside our borders unless is in our interest. (unfortunately there are ignorant people here as there are in other countries). I recently flew on a middle east flight and met some Pakistani's and an Iranian guy. The conversation made for a pleasant flight and we still keep in touch with each other. It was nice to be able to negate the stereotype that we sometimes fall prey to.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Definitely thank you for sharing, hfly. By telling us this we will be able to be alert for a similar scenario as you faced. I'm sure there are many other places something like that happens.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
I'm not the OP obviously but I believe he meant that as a positive thing. I'm a U.S. citizen and all too often all you hear is how every arab is a terrorist. A lot of the world thinks the U.S. is close minded and couldn't care less about the rest of the world or what happens outside our borders unless is in our interest. (unfortunately there are ignorant people here as there are in other countries). I recently flew on a middle east flight and met some Pakistani's and an Iranian guy. The conversation made for a pleasant flight and we still keep in touch with each other. It was nice to be able to negate the stereotype that we sometimes fall prey to.
I hate to be one of those guys with nothing to add but this, but I'm going to do it anyway:

^ ^ ^
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I am sorry this happened to you. I think we all have a plan of what we would do in such situations but when they arise there is often no opportunity to execute the plan. It is good that you are alright but I do suggest moving to another hotel just to be on the safe side.

Good suggestion about changing hotels. (That said, I like the Hyatt Regency Istanbul since they've been especially good to me over the years.)

The comment was "his part of the world", that being presumably Iran but not necessarily so -- especially given my prior comment about people pretending to be from somewhere when they are not.

Incidents like this should not dissuade people from dealing well with locals, including even making good acquaintances and friends; it's just that a little caution wouldn't hurt when the time, place and approach is not of one's own making, in whole or in part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.