Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why can't Canadians rent in US and drive to Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:35 pm
DebbieS

Thanks!

Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Umm...why would this be desirable?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:14 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Renting cars is less expensive in the US, the taxes are lower (though still high), and this potentially deprives the Canadian government of revenue. After all, most of the populated areas of Canada are within 150 miles of the US border.

If it inconveniences you or treats you like a criminal, so be it - gotta pay for that health care system somehow, right? Although now that you have "Dubya Harper," perhaps tax cuts on the rich and banning gay marriage will do it...
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:16 am
Suspended

We can rent in the US and drive to Canada.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:24 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
That's not correct. Although you can rent in Canada and drive to the US, Canadian citizens cannot drive cars rented in the US into Canada. US citizens can rent and drive into and out of either country.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TProphet
That's not correct. Although you can rent in Canada and drive to the US, Canadian citizens cannot drive cars rented in the US into Canada. US citizens can rent and drive into and out of either country.
Sorry I have done it.

Rented in BUF, crossed the border and left the car at YYZ.

It is an option available at Hertz.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I dunno, sounds like a control thing to me. Either it's tax-related or they think only drug-runners would do it. Lots of contracts prohibit taking the car across the border (on both sides), but they seem to do it matter-of-factly and, for U.S. citizens, the provision doesn't seem to ever be checked or enforced at the border.

Sometimes the Canadian city has the better deal if the loonie is down or depending on location. I would say this is especially true for Calgary, as it has unlimited-mile cars while bordering places in Montana don't. I got to see Glacier National Park out of Calgary. Would imagine that SK and MB also have possibilities that beat MT, ND and MN in spots, while in SEA, DTW and BUF the advantage is probably on the U.S. side.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Sorry I have done it.

Rented in BUF, crossed the border and left the car at YYZ.

It is an option available at Hertz.
To what "option" are you referring?

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/i...D=RESTRICTIONS
Hertz cars may be driven into Canada but the following restrictions apply:

Rental location must be notified in advance so that the necessary paperwork can be included with the car.

Canadian Customs and Excise Regulations prohibit Canadian residents from driving U.S. rental vehicles in Canada and/or returning to the U.S. When a Canadian resident rents a U.S. car in the U.S. and drives into Canada, he/she must obtain a Traveler's Vehicle Permit from Canadian Customs, Form E50B. Then the renter must go directly to a Canadian Hertz location and exchange the U.S. car for a Canadian car within 24 hours. No one way rental fees are applied.

Residency is based on the primary renter.

Renters may only drive in Canada for 30 days unless extension is requested from Customs at the time of entry.
and:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/i...KEYWORD=ONEWAY

One-way rentals are those consisting of picking up in one city and returning the vehicle to another city or location.
Availability is based on the location's restrictions and the vehicle type being taken one-way. Fees for one-way will be assessed at time of booking.

Vehicles cannot be dropped off in Alaska. Driving into Alaska is regulated by specific locations restriction.
See Rental Restrictions in Location Index for details.

Driving into Canada is permitted. In accordance with Canadian law, citizens of Canada may not drive US registered vehicles into Canada.
See Rental Restrictions in Location Index for details.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gee, one reg says that citizens can't and the others that residents can't (there is a big difference), One says its not allowed at all, the other says that it can be done for 24 hours and then do a change, the other says not at all. Sounds like enough loopholes to drive a truck through.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by hfly
Sounds like enough loopholes to drive a truck through.
Or at least a rental car!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:21 am
Suspended

Well if the Hertz page says it, someone better tell the folks at Hertz BUF. I have gotten off flights and had messages that friends who were to pick me up could not make it.

Off to the counter I go, hand them my #1 card, tell them I am leaving it at YYZ, they go ok, drop charge is $X.

Never been an issue for me.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:00 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
AFAIK this is in place to prevent Canadians from renting or buying cars and then registering them in the US. It's certainly not well advertised to Canadians.

From the Budget Site:

http://tinyurl.com/kt9fu

Policy for Canadian Residents Driving U.S. Cars Into Canada

Canadian Customs regulations prohibit Canadian residents from entering Canada with U.S. cars. Therefore, renters with a Canadian driver’s license and a U.S. license plate will not be allowed to cross the border into Canada. Customers with a Canadian driver’s license planning to cross the border into Canada in a Budget car should be provided with a vehicle with a Canadian license plate, if one is available.

Furthermore, a Canadian who drives a vehicle belonging to an American while the car is in Canada risks having it seized since Canadian residents may not use a US citizen's possessions in Canada unless Canadian duties and taxes have been paid.

This isn't to say a Canadian resident can't do the above and get away with it, but there's a large theoretical risk involved.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Similar silly rules existed in the EU not that long ago. I recall a problem with an Italian car in Germany. Tax/customs reasons.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:40 pm

So much for the North American FREE TRADE Association. It's bizarre that NAFTA allows large corporations to take advantage of cheap labor in Mexico, but doesn't allow a Canadian to drive an American car in Canada.

Originally Posted by Fredd
AFAIK this is in place to prevent Canadians from renting or buying cars and then registering them in the US. It's certainly not well advertised to Canadians.

From the Budget Site:

http://tinyurl.com/kt9fu

Policy for Canadian Residents Driving U.S. Cars Into Canada

Canadian Customs regulations prohibit Canadian residents from entering Canada with U.S. cars. Therefore, renters with a Canadian driver’s license and a U.S. license plate will not be allowed to cross the border into Canada. Customers with a Canadian driver’s license planning to cross the border into Canada in a Budget car should be provided with a vehicle with a Canadian license plate, if one is available.

Furthermore, a Canadian who drives a vehicle belonging to an American while the car is in Canada risks having it seized since Canadian residents may not use a US citizen's possessions in Canada unless Canadian duties and taxes have been paid.

This isn't to say a Canadian resident can't do the above and get away with it, but there's a large theoretical risk involved.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
So much for the North American FREE TRADE Association. It's bizarre that NAFTA allows large corporations to take advantage of cheap labor in Mexico, but doesn't allow a Canadian to drive an American car in Canada.
AFAIK these restrictions pre-date NAFTA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.