Carrying Dried fruit into USA??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying Dried fruit into USA??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:32 am

Programs: UA
I routinely bring in sealed packages of dried fruit from HK. I live in California and fly into SFO, which is stricter than most of the US. Is it really illegal? I've always declared it and have always been waved through.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll
I too have carried a number of dried things - beef (biltong), fruits, mushrooms. I always declare them and only once had an officer question it - once he saw it was vacuum-sealed and dried (beef in that case), he thanked me for declaring it and I was on my way.

Dried beef is on the prohibited list BTW, but mine was from South Africa, commercially packed and as such the officer did not take issue with me.
I've seen dried meat in apparently sealed commercial packages being seized from the woman in front of us at ag.

The point of origin might have something to do with that, we were coming from foot & mouth territory.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL
I just did this today and had no problems. I declared that I had dried fruit, went to the counter and they asked to look at the luggage with the fruit in it. I put it on their table and went to pull out the dried fruit for them to look at. The customs agent said not to do that, they would look themselves. They opened the bag and searched through the luggage, hardly even glancing at the dried fruit. Guess they were checking to see if there was anything I was not declaring? But no problem with the dried fruit.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
?????

Last edited by vicarious_MR'er; May 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm
Old May 13, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Deleted because apparently I replied to this years ago
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
Deleted because apparently I replied to this years ago
Think you're spending too much time on FT. Now have you ended up replying to a thread you started a few years later, only to answer your own question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.