Wiki Posts
Search

UK flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
UK flights

I'm having a hard time finding airlines that go between Manchester, UK (MAN) and either Newcastle (NCL) or Durham Teeside Valley (MME), any suggestions?

I will be arriving in MAN on Dec 13th at 6:30pm (not sure how long to estimate going through baggage and customs).

Any positive advice is welcomed.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Given the distances involved, it's not worth flying, so nobody operates flights.

From Manchester Airport, there are direct rail services to Newcastle, Durham, Darlington and Middlesbrough, operated by First Trans-Pennine Express. See http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/ for details.

Where exactly are you trying to get to?

Last edited by stut; Jun 16, 2006 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
What stut says... I live about half way between MAN and NCL, and it's only about a 3 hour drive. Uneconomic to operate a flight. For MME, the direct train from MAN (it starts at the airport itself) through to Middlesborough is much easier, it's not going to break the bank I would have thought £30-£40 max), and there's an hourly service during the day.

For MAN to NCL, you can either go direct as stut says, or change at York onto the GNER service, for more options (and a bit more speed and comfort for the last hour ). Additionally, you've probably picked these two airports as they are somewhere close to your destination - you may find there is a closer station than these airports.

Depending which terminal, and what airline, coming through at that time should be fairly quick - not more than 30-45 mins - sometimes they can be super efficient too, I've had my bags in <10 mins when we were on the gate closest to the bag drop off Customs is a doddle, it's the baggage reclaim which generally takes the time. Even if you get held up at immigration, it generally only means you have to wait less time at baggage.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks bunches

Thank you so much for the invaluable info. I'm heading home to visit my ailing grandparents who actually live in Spennymoor. I was trying to avoid arriving at 1-2 in the morning since my aunt cannot drive at night (and my grandparents haven't driven in many years) but I can always take a cab i guess.

Will I have any luck getting a cab in Durham to Spennymoor?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:32 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by govtflyer
Thank you so much for the invaluable info. I'm heading home to visit my ailing grandparents who actually live in Spennymoor. I was trying to avoid arriving at 1-2 in the morning since my aunt cannot drive at night (and my grandparents haven't driven in many years) but I can always take a cab i guess.

Will I have any luck getting a cab in Durham to Spennymoor?
Depending on how late you arrive at Durham you should be able to get a taxi outside the station. If you think you will arrive in Durham very late however, it may be better to contact a local taxi company and get them to collect you. If you look up yell.com you should be able to find some. My guess is about £10 from Durham to Spennymore.

The other option would be to hire a car from Manchester airport. It's conveniently located near the motorway and there won't be too much traffic about by the time you clear customs and get your baggage.

Doug
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Distances between towns in the UK are relatively close. Unlike the US, domestic flights are not really a bit thing unless you are travelling from one end to another (say London to Scotland). NCL is not really a major airport that would connect to many other UK airports.

You might find hiring a car maybe more convinient in more remote locations. You might have a few difficulities driving on the other side of the road. You might want to consider paying more for an automatic car as well. Most rental cars in the UK is manual (stick) and even if you can drive with a manual gear, changing gears with your left hand instead of right does take a bit of getting used to. Still it is all part of the adventure.

Americans usually are horrified at the cost of things/travels (trains/taxis) in the UK especially with the current exchange rates.

You might consider giving your grandparents a call to get them to phone for a "mini-cab" or "private taxi" to meet you at the airport/train station. It might be cheaper than a black cab you will at the taxi rank, especially for longer distances. That way you will not have to worry about if there will be any taxi available.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jun 17, 2006 at 3:34 pm
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:41 pm

I've actually flown from Newcastle to Manchetser before in a Jetstream where all cabin luggage was put in a box at the b ack of the cabin.

As for OP's request, best thing is for them to look in the Northern Echo / Newcastle Journal / Evening Chronicle / local free newspaper for airport transfer services that cover the Spennymoor area or get the Transpennine Express train from the airport & have the GP's arrange a taxi from Durham.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.