Wiki Posts
Search

Cell phone use in flight - inevitable?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Cell phone use in flight - inevitable?

I was reading an article in the Washington Post this morning. It made an off-hand comment that cell phone use in-flight will surely be allowed eventually. The thought of sitting next to someone shouting into their phone for hours is abhorant to me. Assuming it happens how should UA control things?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by deckman
... Assuming it happens how should UA control things? ...
Allow guns on board.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:20 am

Programs: 1K scum
My guess is that usage will be gated by cost, just like the current onboard phones that few people are willing to use. The interesting question for me is when we see broadband on the United planes will they try and block voip since that would bypass any cell phone service for those people suitably equipped (laptop and headset).
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:23 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Foster461
My guess is that usage will be gated by cost, just like the current onboard phones that few people are willing to use. The interesting question for me is when we see broadband on the United planes will they try and block voip since that would bypass any cell phone service for those people suitably equipped (laptop and headset).
Im sure the providors will add a "roaming" charge. A mini cell tower would prob need to be installed on the plane, like the wifi ones for the flynet LH has. VoIP right now isnt limited. I did place a few calls on Skype when I flew back to Europe, but I saw noone else using that feature. But it will be a matter of time.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Good point on VOIP. Assuming there is enough bandwidth, that will be available before cell phones and will be the first test for UA policy on the issue.

Regardless of method, I can see phone use being widespread. Perhaps they should segregate phone users like they did when smoking was permitted?

Last edited by deckman; Feb 21, 2006 at 6:33 am
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is ever allowed, I sure UA will differentiate itself and not allow it at all.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:48 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I think it is inevitable but there may be a possibility that you have 'no cell phone use' sections (in E+?) after it's initially implemented. Virgin Trains in the UK (and I'm sure many others) have this concept, and it's a great offering to those of us who can't bear to listen to someone blurting "I'm on the plane".
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:49 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Fortunately, GMS, UTMS, and CDMA don't have the range for the cell phones to
lock on the ground transmitters reliably. So as said before, the aircraft will have
to be fitted with a router.

Horrible thought to have VOIP or cell phones for at a low cost on the plane.
Segragation of phone-challenged pax into the bay area will only help partly
as they won't quit screaming once the plane levels off.

Maybe they should then also allow other transmitting devices such as
broadband jammers?

On board LH Skype works just fine via Flynet which is an unpleasant idea in
the long run. I really think that the TCP/IP traffic from planes should be
jittered to keep VOIP non-op.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
If it is ever allowed, I sure UA will differentiate itself and not allow it at all.
If anything I would expect UA to differentiate itself by offering it first to passengers--they are placing themselves as the business flyer's friend, sadly that will probably come to include cell phone use.

Unfortunately, even if you are correct, I think they would cave to competetive pressure when all the other airlines allow it.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
I think it is inevitable but there may be a possibility that you have 'no cell phone use' sections (in E+?) after it's initially implemented. Virgin Trains in the UK (and I'm sure many others) have this concept, and it's a great offering to those of us who can't bear to listen to someone blurting "I'm on the plane".
If they allow them at all, I would like to see cell phones only being used at the back of the plane, rather than a section of any given cabin. Remember how effective the "non smoking" sections were?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:53 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Question

And this is here and not in Travel Buzz because...?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The report bad post buttome is your friend... if only it worked.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by weero
On board LH Skype works just fine via Flynet which is an unpleasant idea in the long run.
Why? Because it's practical, convenient, reasonable priced and brings additional premium pax to LH?

Ny now, I have seen piles of preemptive complaints about allowing phones on aircraft. Most interestingly, close to 100% of these complaints are from FTers who haven't even come near an aircraft equipped with broadband Internet.

OTOH, with dozens of such flights under my belt since May 2004, I still haven't witnessed one single complaint about this issue on-board a plane equipped with FlyNet. Nobody cares, because one hardly recognizes somebody using Skype. So it's a non-issue. But hey, we can have HEATED threads about WARM nuts, so why not...
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
... UA is the only U.S. carrier that has announced future Internet service on some of their flights? Of course, the service is most likely still years away, but that's no reason why users of this forum can't start complaining about it NOW. Compensation, anyone?

Last edited by flysurfer; Feb 21, 2006 at 7:35 am
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qasr
If anything I would expect UA to differentiate itself by offering it first to passengers--they are placing themselves as the business flyer's friend, sadly that will probably come to include cell phone use.

Unfortunately, even if you are correct, I think they would cave to competetive pressure when all the other airlines allow it.
Well, I would think that all business travellers would want to be able to use their cell phones, but not have anyone else allowed to use them. Therefore, I think that those who are frequent fliers would quickly come to the conclusion that this is simply not a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.