Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do former president/heads of state travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I noticed that Former President Clinton was in Israel this week with Senator Clinton and I wondered how they or other former leaders travel nowadays. I know that often times private jets or at their disposal from corporations or friends. Do you think in some cases the goverment might provide transport such as in the case of former presidents and a current senator?

If they travel on commercial airlines how does all the security and thier entourage travel without booking up most of the plane?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
I noticed that Former President Clinton was in Israel this week with Senator Clinton and I wondered how they or other former leaders travel nowadays. I know that often times private jets or at their disposal from corporations or friends. Do you think in some cases the goverment might provide transport such as in the case of former presidents and a current senator?

If they travel on commercial airlines how does all the security and their entourage travel without booking up most of the plane?
Bush 1 and Barabara sat one row in front of me on a Continental flight from LAX to IAH. This was in Business First. They had the front row. I was in the second row where one of their aides sat. There were a few secret service agents onboard also.

M8
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:35 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I haven't seen him, but Jimmy Carter is the most-frequently named person in the Delta forum thread on celebrity sightings on Delta flights. He and his security detail generally are in F, but he's famous for walking back to shake the hand of each person on the plane.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:44 am
Suspended

Jimmy Carter walking up and down the plane shaking hands. An interesting comment. While I like Jimmy and voted for him, I wonder if everyone wants to shake his hand? Shows that ex Presidents have huge egos.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF

If they travel on commercial airlines how does all the security and thier entourage travel without booking up most of the plane?
Years ago, Mamie Eisenhower travelled only by train -- Amtrak would give her a business car to ride in and place a sleeping car between it and the rest of the train for the security people that were travelling with her.

Bob H
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by greenery
Jimmy Carter walking up and down the plane shaking hands. An interesting comment. While I like Jimmy and voted for him, I wonder if everyone wants to shake his hand? Shows that ex Presidents have huge egos.
I voted for Reagan, but I would shake Jimmy's hand. Agree or disagree with him, he was a Pres of the United States of America.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
For his 85th birthday, Nelson Mandela was gifted unlimited and unconditional free travel in SA First Class for him and his wife. Granted, the SA route network is not terribly extensive, but still nice. I have heard him being in the nose of BA 747 from time to time.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:09 pm

Government provides free travel for life. Upto them private or commercial. They also get a staff, pension, stamps, office supplies, and other perks.

I know recently big Bush was on private because a private jet crashed about the time he was arriving in houston. The news mentioned that he was disrupted when they closed the airport.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I voted for Reagan, but I would shake Jimmy's hand. Agree or disagree with him, he was a Pres of the United States of America.
He is also arguably a heck of a lot better ex-POTUS than POTUS and has gained some recognition for his work. I hear he is also a very nice man. Very gentle and kind. A true Southern gentleman. I would personally think that's what drives him and not ego.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:26 pm
nfc

Programs: WN AList; Delta Nada; Hilton DIamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by coplatsat
I know recently big Bush was on private because a private jet crashed about the time he was arriving in houston. The news mentioned that he was disrupted when they closed the airport.
The plane that crashed was flying into Houston to pick up former President Bush to take him to Ecuador for a speech. Former President Bush travels regularly on private charters.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Originally Posted by Darren
He is also arguably a heck of a lot better ex-POTUS than POTUS and has gained some recognition for his work. I hear he is also a very nice man. Very gentle and kind. A true Southern gentleman. I would personally think that's what drives him and not ego.
Agreed.

OT, but I think we should get a poll up with FT political affiliations. It'd be interesting to see.

Liberal--because many have seen countries other than the U.S.
Conservative--because many have flown Business/First and work for large money-grubbing corporations
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:31 pm

Not much of a gift by SA considering that he is 85. He probably wont be able to travel much longer at that age.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:41 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by coplatsat
Government provides free travel for life. Upto them private or commercial.
Hmmm, I may have to rethink my aversion to a career in politics, after all...
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I saw Lady Bird Johnson a few times on Southwest flights between Austin and Dallas/Houston along with her Secret Service handlers. They all pre-boarded.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I would shake his hand, slap him on the back and buy him a Castlemaine XXXX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.