Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you more likely to drink on a plane (vs. in other situations)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In seeing the number of people who order Bloody Marys and other alcoholic drinks in the morning when on a plane, I wonder:

When you’re offered a free drink in first class on a plane, are you more likely to order alcohol than you would in another situation?

Surely all of the people who order Bloody Marys onboard don’t regularly have them at home in the mornings…or do they?

Nothing wrong with drinking; I’m just curious.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I love to get wasted. I can’t really drink alcohol on planes. I feel too blah. I have had mixed results in the past decades. I think that I can still enjoy a Mai tai on HA when I last flew it in 2019. So in general it’s only club soda or sparkling water with citrus. Super dull.
my favorite lush story is AS F for Sfo/pdx. My seatmate had what seemed like 4-5 cocktails on this short late-morning flight. It must have been a 2 row F, like the old VX, so super service. I was surprised because he seemed almost uptight on our initial encounter.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:39 pm

Yeah, I don't normally ever drink a bloody at 9am on a Tuesday, but when you win the First lottery, and you don't have to be at work until the next day, then yeah....why not?
WeekendTraveler and trooper like this.

Last edited by rhg247; Apr 10, 2022 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Quite rare for me. I try not to drink a ton on flights as the expensive, often lackluster drink isn't always worth contributing to more bathroom visits and dehydration.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes but never more than 2 drinks and never more than one drink if I'm driving home from the airport. There's not much to do on a plane so why not enjoy a drink.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Most of my travel does not require a degree of high functionality upon arrival, nor work onboard nor driving at the destination. So why not. Sometimes the earlier the better as it means I'm more likely to get a Z and a half as a boring movie puts me to temporary rest. It is also relaxing inflight activity.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:42 pm

Your name is WeekendTraveler and you're telling me you don't have a Bloody every time you sit down in F?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My J/F trips almost never require me to drive on the other end or go directly to work. So yeah, why not? I might have a couple cocktails, but don't overdo it and drink lots of water.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: *G
*marginally* more, if its a cause for celebration e.g. flying to vacation. if i was on the ground instead, on holiday, why wouldnt i drink a bloody mary in the morning.

just for the sake of flying, absolutely not. feeling dehydrated with little sleep on a long haul is no fun. and the bathroom visits is annoying as well
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Quite rare for me. I try not to drink a ton on flights as the expensive, often lackluster drink isn't always worth contributing to more bathroom visits and dehydration.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Depends...

If I am flying for a work trip and it is going to be a overnight flight with multiple connections throughout the day ...I might have a few drinks on the connections till the lounge before the overnight flight and then water from then on out to fall asleep without too many bathroom breaks.

If I am flying for vacation, then I don't really care. A drink here or there makes no difference.

If I am flying home, then I am usually jet lagged or if I have drank all week while away, then I prefer to stay sober.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Yes. I just drink.

David
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:51 pm
JBa

Programs: some
I might enjoy a drink every once and awhile, but normally stay with Club Soda or Ginger Ale.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K
With a couple exceptions, I've obviously never sat next to any of you on a plane or in the lounge. And if all of you are just having "one or two" and stick to "soda" who the hell is running the FAs and airport lounge bartenders ragged? In my rather extensive flying experience, people drink like fish. All of them and in all situations. To answer the question directly, yes I drink more on planes but I drink plenty elsewhere too. This reminds me of any questionnaire where alcohol comes up - everyone answers "social drinker" or "drink once or twice a week" but my local grocery store has 25%+ of the square-footage dedicated to beer/wine/liquor and EVERY person in line after 3PM is holding a six-pack or bottle of wine.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
In seeing the number of people who order Bloody Marys and other alcoholic drinks in the morning when on a plane, I wonder:

When you’re offered a free drink in first class on a plane, are you more likely to order alcohol than you would in another situation?

Surely all of the people who order Bloody Marys onboard don’t regularly have them at home in the mornings…or do they?

Nothing wrong with drinking; I’m just curious.
The short answer is yes. Just as people tend to drink more at an open bar I am more likely to order a cocktail when in business class because they are included in the price of the ticket. If in the back and I have to pay I'm less likely to drink.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
If it's no extra charge, I will most likely drink more on the plane... even if I've already knocked back a few in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.