Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying standby to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Flying standby to Hawaii

Hi All, This is my 1st post so if I'm posting in the wrong place please forgive me. I'm currently working for a member of the star alliance so I get benefits to basically every airline out there flying standby. Anyway, I have some vacation time coming up in a few weeks and a friend of mine on the big island said I could crash at his place. I live in New York and I'm not even worrying about getting to LAX because I can always make a united flight.. however my problem is getting to Hawaii on US Airway flying standby. I've already checked and they have 5 flights a day so I just want to know if anyone knows if these flights are always filled.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by venusfanatic
Hi All, This is my 1st post so if I'm posting in the wrong place please forgive me. I'm currently working for a member of the star alliance so I get benefits to basically every airline out there flying standby. Anyway, I have some vacation time coming up in a few weeks and a friend of mine on the big island said I could crash at his place. I live in New York and I'm not even worrying about getting to LAX because I can always make a united flight.. however my problem is getting to Hawaii on US Airway flying standby. I've already checked and they have 5 flights a day so I just want to know if anyone knows if these flights are always filled.
I have had many friends fly stand-by to Hawaii. Normally there is little trouble getting there. Returning is a whole other story! It can be quite difficult getting back on stand-by.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:03 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Ditto on the return flight. That is the problem. TZ used to offer some decent one-ways ex-Hawaii to LAX.

I have a co-worker who is ex-TWA (1987-2001). She says TWA once ferried a 747 there to pick up stranded non-revs.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
FWIW, you should check out the Hawaii forum linked below.

That said, US Airways doesn't fly to Hawaii, so I assume you mean United. As been mentioned, you might have some problems returning but getting here shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you aren't traveling on high-frequency days (weekends, days after Thanksgiving, etc) and check the loads using the Availability Tool or CT ITN. I know a few UA employees who fly standby out of HNL and they've reported the same as above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.