What City is really "HELL ON EARTH"?

Subscribe
I am a strong believer in reincarnation. People that had it great in one life and blew it by being a terrible person- will be reborn in a terrible life in a city that is truly "HELL ON EARTH".

I read about how terrible many places are on this planet, but the true story about it is usually hidden behind political correctness.

I suspect that the travelers on Flyertalk have been to some terrible places and have some great stories to tell.

To start things off my vote goes to Lagos (in Africa).
This may not be the worst place on earth, but there is a catch to it.
Here in Norway there is a town called Hell!!!

So if you come to Norway, they will understand if you ask for a train ticket to Hell.
Quote: This may not be the worst place on earth, but there is a catch to it.
Here in Norway there is a town called Hell!!!

So if you come to Norway, they will understand if you ask for a train ticket to Hell.
My vote goes to Calama, Chile. A dusty desert town of 250,000 with NOTHING! (The only plus is that its the gateway city to San Pedro de Atacama). Lots of miners, prostitutes, and stray dogs. I've talked to people that have been transferred here...and trust me they hate life!

If you're thinking HELL!! violence, death, disease wise...take a visit to Rio de Janeiro's favelas. (Usually with 1km of wherever you are in the nice parts of Rio)
Quote: What city is "HELL ON EARTH"?

Erie, Pennsylvania.
houston, in august.
Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia

Blech.
Sadly, there are lots of hellish neighborhoods in cities all over the US. You know the parts I'm talking about.
Guachupita , DR its only a large Neighborhood but its trully hell on earth. even the cops are afraid to go in there. ( i most likely spell the name wrong)
Never been there, but from what I've read the Soviet era outposts on the Bering Sea must come quite close.
Quote: houston, in august.
right now it is over 100 degrees and 100% humidity
Quote: right now it is over 100 degrees and 100% humidity

then july also.
So many Hells. so little time
Anywhere in southern Alabama comes to mind.

Then there is Elizabeth, NJ - home to more burned-out warehouses than anywhere else in America.

Armento, WY - home of America's finest sheep rodeo.

Mianyiang, China - home to the world's most virulent strain of dysentery. And several samller towns in the area where rope is used for toilet paper.
I thought it was always Los Angelos or Sacramento.
Hell is where no airplanes can land for six months of the year
Where the geese have all disappeared far to the north
Where water is sucked down the drain the opposite direction,
that is if there is any water to be found
Where the few that live there tire of darkness that goes on and on
Where it is too cold even for penguins
The South Pole - where such beauty is protected by the hellish environment
I think we did this thread recently - perhaps in OMNI.

It started out with people piling on (mostly in an uninformed way) Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, and a few other usual suspects. By page five, we had pretty much trash-talked every city in the world, including Tokyo, San Francisco, Paris, London, and others.

Maybe we can get a link to that thread so we don't have to do it all over. Otherwise, I'll have to throw up all over Schaumburg, IL again.