Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a plane fly over a hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Can a plane fly over a hurricane?

I am not a great flier.... but I am scheduled to fly from Seattle to Leon Mexico on a CO redeye leaving late Tuesday night and getting into Leon after a connection in Houston on Wednesday morning... the same time that Hurricane Emily is supposed to cross the southern Texas border and plow into mainland Mexico....does this sound like a collision course for disaster for a nervous flier?.....

Last edited by david55; Jul 16, 2005 at 8:20 pm
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:36 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Don't worry, they will fly around it.

That is a good question, though. Just a guess, but maybe the answer is no because 1) it might be quite turbulent above the storm even if you're not in the clouds, and 2) if you needed to divert quickly, you're up a creek!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
If it does i do not want to be in it
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:39 pm

I wouldn't be to nervous about the flight but rather the cancellations/delays.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
For all intents and purposes, commercial airliners cannot fly above and over a hurricane. Hurricane tops reach upwards of 50,000+ ft. Same holds true for supercell thunderstorms.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:11 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Commercial aircraft fly around really bad weather, not over it. As noted above, you can't really overfly a hurricane in a commercial plane. Another important consideration is that in the event of an emergency (loss of engine, loss of cabin pressure, etc) the aircraft might have to decend rapidly....and you don't want to decend into horrible weather! @:-)
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
For all intents and purposes, commercial airliners cannot fly above and over a hurricane. Hurricane tops reach upwards of 50,000+ ft. Same holds true for supercell thunderstorms.
I remember while studying meteorology at the Univ of Oklahoma: one supercell had a reported top of 63,000 feet!!!!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:09 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Exclamation Then There are These People...

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hilton HHonors, Flying Saucer UFO Club
Originally Posted by tlglenn
If my husband weren't already in the Army National Guard, I would LOVE to do this! Weather makes me giddy. Yes, I am slightly off my rocker!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.