Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help, 400 miles or Less from New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Help, 400 miles or Less from New Jersey

My wife and I are looking to spend a week 400 miles or less from New Jersey. We want to go to no more than 2 places and spend at least a few days at the beach. However, there has to be museums, biking, boating, movies or something to do besides hanging out on the beach which would drive us nuts if we tried to do that for a week straight. We plan to drive there and don't want to spend too much money so luxury resorts are out. We have Marriott and Starwood points we could use to lower the cost.

We've been considering Virginia, Delaware, Nantucket, Finger Lakes (my wife might be willing to go to lakes instead of the beach at the ocean), other places.

Where should we go?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You didn't say when. I'll assume summer/early fall.

Go to Maine and stay in Portland. You've got nearby beaches; lighthouses; lobster; the Portland Museum of Art (such a gem of a museum!); the Portland Sea Dogs which is the AA affiliation with the Red Sox but still a lot of fun; boating galore on Casco Bay; kayaking, skeet shooting, fly fishing and bike tours for next to nothing at LL Bean ( http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline...kon/index.html & http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline...tml?sc1=Search ); great microbreweries, etc.

Last edited by Analise; Jun 29, 2005 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:03 am
Original Poster

August is when we are planning to go. Thanks for your idea. keep them coming.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Good call w/ the Finger Lakes. Pick any of them--good vinewayds to visit, relaxing times, nice little B&B's....I particularly like Keuka and Conesus the best.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Martha's Vineyard comes to mind.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA million miler
Try Long Island?

world-famous beaches

outlet shopping

wineries

great food

fabulous museums

easy drives (forgetting the traffic jams)

there is a marriott in hauppauge (not on the beach but a 30-minute drive to the ocean, the tanger outlets or the wine country)

picturesque little villages-port jeff, greenport, sag harbor

without even venturing to/thru the hamptons
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

I've spent a lot of time on both forks of Long Island and farther inland. It is pretty but not for us for this trip. I appreciate the idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.